Halo 3

The readers post their own reviews.
ActRaiser1

Halo 3

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 26th, 2007, 8:09 pm

Halo 3

A

Single Player (A-)

I’m just getting off the high of kicking the covenant’s tail and swabbing the decks in multiplayer.  For starters the single player game completes the trilogy deftly with way more action and far less talking than what you saw in the previous game.   So, don’t worry, you won’t be sitting on your hands for long, waiting to start the shooting.  Oh, and there’s lots and lots of shooting.  From the Human Pelican, imagine a supped up human version of the Banshee that looks like an A-10 Warthog to the Brute Prowler, a Harley on ‘roids that shoots and you’ve got yourself a great time.

The style and play mixes the best of Halo 1 with its more free form level layout that allows you to tackle a situation anyway you want with Halo 2’s faster paced, frenzied fighting.  As a result, you won’t be disappointed.

The only knock I could give the single player is that I actually like the back story quite a bit and there’s just not enough.  If you’ve read the novels, there are a few unanswered questions that would have been fantastic to have included in the final solution.  So, if you haven’t read the novels give the single player an A rating.  I was hoping to see if the latest novel’s ending was a part of this story as the previous books all fit in rather nicely with the trilogy.

Multi-player (A+)

I’ve been playing this game for about two days straight now and slowly been working my way up the ranks.  The best feature so far remains that the opposing team is completely muted!  So, no more banter by 10 year olds spouting off four letter words on how you’ll get pawned. 

As to the gameplay itself, Bungie has taken the feedback from the Beta and truly tweaked the game into an amazing rock (smack down), paper (gun), scissors (grenade) game.  Everything truly is balanced.  My favorite weapon just so happens to be the default starting weapon for all.  The machine gun is back from Halo 1 and truly kicks major Brute Behind.   A quick spray of the machine gun followed by a wack will take out any fool.  And unlike the SMG this one actually works better at mid range distances.

One of the biggest complaints, for me at least, on the LAN gaming side were the sword matches.  Well, Bungie introduced an extremely cool dynamic for parrying your sword lunges.  When both parties lunge at the same time each attack is parried or blocked and you each start the dance again.  You might end up parrying each other’s attack several times before someone messes up or your teammate swoops in to save you.

I’ve barely touched the Forge feature, but it’s a well honed toolset that allows you to pick up, move, delete, or add items to a map.  So, if you want to have the entire blue team spawn inside a wall of exploding crates, feel free to set it up  I know that’s what I’m going to do.

In closing the multi-player will be what keeps driving everyone back to Halo 3 for the next three years or at least until the sequel…

Oh, one other cool thing is the legendary edition comes with movies from both Halo 1 and Halo 2 all in sequence.  It’s over an hour and a half!  Sorry, I can’t stop playing multi-player to actually watch it.  I'm only really sorry I've got to go back to work tomorrow as my two day vacation for Halo has ended.

Bud

feilong801

Halo 3

Postby feilong801 » September 27th, 2007, 9:28 am

Great review, so far I see very little to disagree with here. The single player campaign is very, very well done, yet (like all the Halo games) has a teeny bit of repetitiveness that holds it back a little. Multiplayer remains some of the best ever.

Boy, though, I really miss motion based aiming when I play these type of games on 360 (-: But I don't hold it against them.

-Rob

ActRaiser1

Halo 3

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 27th, 2007, 11:54 am

Thanks, Rob.  What's your gamertag for Xbox Live?

feilong801

Halo 3

Postby feilong801 » September 27th, 2007, 12:29 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]Thanks, Rob.  What's your gamertag for Xbox Live?
[/QUOTE]

XBox Live Gamertag= paragon80. I encourage all of you who haven't already to add me to their friends list.

You are already on my list, ActRaiser; we'll have to bash some heads sometime.

-Rob

Linkdude

Halo 3

Postby Linkdude » September 27th, 2007, 8:06 pm

Wish my 360 was working so I could play Halo 3. I hate the friggin' ring of death.

ActRaiser1

Halo 3

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 27th, 2007, 8:10 pm

Thanks!  It's too easy to lose track of who is who on your friends list.  It might be kind of nice to have a "this is Rob" note section.  Or a "be sure to invite to DDR as he'll kick your butt" note section.

feilong801

Halo 3

Postby feilong801 » September 27th, 2007, 9:00 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]

Thanks!  It's too easy to lose track of who is who on your friends list.  It might be kind of nice to have a "this is Rob" note section.  Or a "be sure to invite to DDR as he'll kick your butt" note section.

[/QUOTE]

Heh- I'm probably not an elite player or anything, but I've danced a few steps in my day (-:

-Rob

Return to “Reader Reviews”