System Overview - Casio PV-1000

The readers post their own reviews.
Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » September 29th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Casio of Japan, a successful electronics manufacturer, released their one and only video game console, the Casio PV-1000 in October of 1983 for 14,8000 yen ($129 USD). Debuting against the likes of the Sega SG-1000 and the Nintendo Famicom, this extremely rare and obscure system rapidly was an afterthought and not to be seen on video game store shelves shortly after its release.

Casio PV-1000

The PV-1000 itself is not unattractive and the housing feels very well constructed using thick, durable plastics. Dark-teal in color and rectangular in shape, the soft, curved molding culminates with the game cartridge tier. The front inputs are simple but elegant two joystick ports are centered in the front of the unit face. The back features the same no-nonsense approach with the power connection and RF connectors anchoring the respective left and right sides. The power toggle switch is located on the right side, and there is a port on the left on the side that resembles a PC connector of some sort (use unknown to me). Overall, the PV-1000 design is sleek, unobtrusive and modern compared to its counterparts.

Powered by a Z80A micro-processor at 3.5Mhz and 2Kb of RAM, this engine was able to display games at a resolution of 256 x 192 pixels with 8 colors. Games were released on cartridges approximately the size of Nintendo Famicom carts. A total of 15 games were released for this system, mostly ports of earlier Casio releases for MSX compatible computers including Pooyan, Amidar, Tutankhamon and Dig-Dug. Casio also produced the PV-2000 in December 1983, which was a computer version of the PV-1000.  Overall game video quality is comparable to the Colecovision. Game control is driven through a solid joystick featuring one (1) fire button (packed in with the system - both the PV-1000 and PV-2000 joysticks are compatible - go figure since the cartridges are not).

Overall, the Casio PV-1000 was a below average system when it debuted and met its demise quickly. This is an extremely rare item and only recommended for the ultra-serious console collector. This console released solely in Japan for a short period of time. I do not have a recommendation for price since I have only seen one of these systems CIB (complete in box) once for sale. This is the system pictured in this review. Be prepared to invest heavily if you do wish to pursue - games are just as scarce and pricey.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » September 29th, 2007, 9:01 pm

Very nice. It's always great to read about another extremely rare item from your impressive collection. Keep these coming!

-Rob

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » September 30th, 2007, 4:29 am

Thanks for the memorex!

Seriously, this is a cool looking machine, wish I had one in my collection. Doesn't it look like a baby Genesis!?

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » November 11th, 2007, 2:29 pm

Thanks guys - I am glad you like the article.  Rather than the Genesis, it has always reminded me of the Neo Geo for some reason (sleek, smooth, uncluttered crisp look).

Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » November 21st, 2007, 10:56 am

[QUOTE=Marriott_Guy]

Thanks guys - I am glad you like the article.  Rather than the Genesis, it has always reminded me of the Neo Geo for some reason (sleek, smooth, uncluttered crisp look).

[/QUOTE]

where and how do you find all of these, marriot? it's insane all the systems you have! seriously this is the kind of collecting i want to be able to do when i'm older, so tell me where to get this stuff if you can. what does it require? is it worth it? ooooh it makes me so mad that i can't get these till i have a job!!!

Return to “Reader Reviews”