Dragon Blade: Wrath of Fire Wii Impressions

The readers post their own reviews.
feilong801

Postby feilong801 » October 1st, 2007, 10:12 pm

I picked this up today, taking a gamble like JLH has begun to take. I have followed this game for the past 6 months since it was announced as a Wii exclusive, and was excited to see what could be pulled off. Plus, it came from D3, who published the awesome Earth Defense Force 2017. Unfortunately, after just one night of having this game, I have to say that it is probably not worth the bother.

Mostly I am dissapointed in the controls. No matter how hard a tried, I couldn't seem to consistently land the sword stroke I wanted. This is the first Wii game I've owned where I couldn't eventually learn the moves by practicing. I can get it right about 60% of the time... which isn't very good. Especially since the game seems to want you to chain together combos.

There are some nice gameplay ideas. I like the concept of getting abilities from Dragons and how those are implemented, but I just can't get over how spotty the sword controls are. Better have them by like Twilight Princess, where it doesn't really matter how you swing the remote, than this, where you find yourself really wanting to make it work, but cannot.

The graphics are also very, very rough. I am not so dissapointed by this because I expected it, but still a little disconcerting. Only Alien Syndrome looks worse on Wii.

Perhaps one of you folks who might try renting this might have a better experience- as for me, I'm putting this on eBay now. It's nice to experiment sometimes, you find some real gems that way. But in this case, a few decent ideas and Wii exclusivity just isn't enough.

It is really hard to see what IGN's Mark Bozon saw in this game. Perhaps it is more fun when you gain more abilities, but I can't see the bad sword controls improving. Looks like it is time to wait for Soulcaliber Legends in order to see if this kind of game can work on Wii.

-Rob

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » October 2nd, 2007, 2:08 am

Okay.... I really have to learn to be more patient with Wii games.

I gave this one another shot, and wouldn't you know it? The controls work pretty well. Sheesh. I'm not sure what it is, but it just suddenly clicked. It isn't 100% by any means, but the game is way, way more fun now that I am able to actually use my sword in a semi-intelligent way.

This one just went from D territory and instant eBay resell to perhaps the upper C's and a full playthrough.

I'll give a full treatment later.

-Rob

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 2nd, 2007, 9:48 am

I can't seem to find this game anywhere.  I think I'm still going to give it a shot once I actually see it in a store.  Its $39.99 right and not the usually $49.99 right?

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » October 2nd, 2007, 9:51 am

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]

I can't seem to find this game anywhere.  I think I'm still going to give it a shot once I actually see it in a store.  Its $39.99 right and not the usually $49.99 right?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a 39.99 budget title. I did notice at Gamestop that I seemed to have the very last shrinkwrapped copy; probably a mixture of a limited pressing plus the general lack of straight dope action games for Wii.

-Rob

QF

Postby QF » October 2nd, 2007, 9:25 pm

Turn the sensitivity down a bit and the controls work very well. The graphics are a bit bland in some areas but some of the environments look really good. The boss Dragons look great and the powers you pick up from them are quite satisfying to use in battle.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » October 2nd, 2007, 11:51 pm

[QUOTE=QF]Turn the sensitivity down a bit and the controls work very well. The graphics are a bit bland in some areas but some of the environments look really good. The boss Dragons look great and the powers you pick up from them are quite satisfying to use in battle.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, the deeper I'm getting into this game, the more I would agree with you. This might be a nice little sleeper game for Wii (because there aren't really other games in that style on the system).

-Rob

MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » October 7th, 2007, 1:23 pm

So how many hours did you spend on this game before you picked up the controls? You may be the most patient person on the planet. I rented it, played it for two hours and then had enough. I would put this in the F category for sure. I don't think you should have to spend hours on a game before you "get" the controls.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » October 7th, 2007, 10:02 pm

[QUOTE=MigAlley]

So how many hours did you spend on this game before you picked up the controls? You may be the most patient person on the planet. I rented it, played it for two hours and then had enough. I would put this in the F category for sure. I don't think you should have to spend hours on a game before you "get" the controls.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not totally sure here, but don't trolls at least ask you a riddle first? Or am I thinking of goblins or some other sort of monster?

No, it didn't take me two hours Mig. Now please allow us to pass.

MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » October 8th, 2007, 8:02 am

Troll? I'm sorry, I played the game, the controls stunk, so much so even you had to re-do your wiiapology review of a crap game. I was just curious how long it took you to get the controls down. I mean, how long did you play before you posted a review? 5 minutes? I don't think so. I guess I was playing a different game b/c I spent two hours on it and the controls were tiresome along with the generic combat and enemies. My bad.

Return to “Reader Reviews”