Capcom Classics Mini-mix/GBA

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 13th, 2007, 8:53 am

I just got two games in a two-pack for $14.88, this one and Super Gunstar Heroes- a good deal! I mainly wanted to try MIGHTY FINAL FIGHT but I was curious about the others as well. Read on:

CAPCOM CLASSICS MINI-MIX/GBA C+

This cart contains the NES versions of three games I never tried on that system (I own Genesis Strider, played coin-op Bionic Commano and SNES Final Fight). This varied little cart has 3 great games and would get an A+ but for one fault; but first:

STRIDER
The original Strider was a graphics-heavy action game. While the NES borrows the concept from the original (the light sword and many moves) it is a complex action adventure; you must travel to many parts of the world, beating enemies and gathering weapons. While not as good as the original it has held up suprisingly well over time and is a fun play.

MIGHTY FINAL FIGHT
A late NES release, I always wanted to try this because I liked FINAL FIGHT. Unfortunately, it plays more like a simpler Double Dragon than the original. Graphics are cute and cartoony and you can select 3 characters, including my fave, GUY, a very fast character left out of the SNES cart. I've only played two levels but was dissapointed in the cheap hits and lack of weapons or power ups. All around just Average.

Bionic Commando
I never liked this game, but I know there are those out there who do. Another action adventure, you can't JUMP but must "grapple" onto things with your bionic arm. I just can't get used to these controls, but for those who liked it this is an exact translation of the NES cart.

Now for the problem: YOU CAN'T SAVE YOUR PROGRESS! NO BATTERY! That really sucks. I think EVERY handheld platform game like these should allow saves. You'll never complete MFF or BC in one sitting. Strider DOES at least have the password system, but if you are playing somwhere without pen and paper, that's of no help. Still, I reccomend this cart to those who love NES games, if you can get it for $12 or less. It's a fun trip down memory lane and it's still fun to fool around with these classics on your GBA.

Super Gunstar review coming soon!(hint:it's REALLY good!)

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » November 13th, 2007, 1:31 pm

I'm pooping my pants because this is a game that I've always had in mind to send to you.

C+??................I'm getting "A Christmas Story" flashbacks here!!

Maybe it's good I never send it!!

C+!??? *teacher dressed as wicked witch cackles*

hi there

Postby hi there » November 13th, 2007, 11:19 pm

[QUOTE]MIGHTY FINAL FIGHT
A late NES release, I always wanted to try this because I liked FINAL FIGHT. Unfortunately, it plays more like a simpler Double Dragon than the original. Graphics are cute and cartoony and you can select 3 characters, including my fave, GUY, a very fast character left out of the SNES cart. I've only played two levels but was dissapointed in the cheap hits and lack of weapons or power ups. All around just Average.[/QUOTE]

Glad we agree, but I like cody better.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 14th, 2007, 8:48 am

So, Zen, do you poop your pants often? They have Depends
for that you know. (:

Thank you for thinking of me, anyways. You can always send me that super rare Bubble Bobble. (: I'm also looking for It'S MR. PANTS! (thats rare too, at least in the U.S.) and Pinball of the dead. Puzzle,pinball and compilations are usually good bets. Oh
and shooters. Still looking for the DS Konami cart(not GBA).

I enjoy playing Strider and MFF (I don't think I'll ever like Bionic Commando though), but the lack of a save feature is why I gave this game a C+. I only play games in short bouts, so I doubt I'll ever get past stage 2 of MFF. By the way, the booklet states there ARE weapons and power ups but I sure didn't see any in levels one or two! Are there any later in the game?

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » November 14th, 2007, 11:29 am

Check out what I said about Mighty Final Fight in the other person's review here first, so I won't repeat what I said here.

To get weapons........every once in a while, barrels roll towards you. Smashing the barrels gets you weapons and/or health power-ups.

Of course, each character gets an exclusive weapon, which matches their personality

Mike Hagger........wack-a-mole mallet
Cody............Knife
Guy.........throwing stars

Another cool thing about this game.........depending on what answers you pick during pre-battle conversations with bosses, cool things can happen.

With the first boss Thrasher, if you play the conversation right, you can reduce his health, or get a health goodie from him.

I wasn't impressed with this game at first either, but it really grew on me over time.

People say this game has alot of cheap-hits and whatnot, but I've played this game so much, that I can say except for a few bosses, that's not the case. It's just that the timing of this game has to be learned.

Return to “Reader Reviews”