Gunstar Super Heroes/GBA

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

Gunstar Super Heroes/GBA

Postby Alienblue » November 13th, 2007, 12:50 pm

As I mentioned In CAPCOM MINI MIX, I got this cart along with that for only $14.88, less than $7.50 per game! Now is the time to check GBA bargain bins, they are full of many GREAT and CHEAP games right now-I saw KLONOA and TMNT in there too!

SUPER GUNSTAR HEROES A

Since the critic already reviewed this and I mostly agree with him, this will be short. First I want to say I searched many years before I finally found GUNSTAR HEROES for my Genesis and while I found it to be a GOOD game, I was dissapointed-to me it had some fun and funny elements but didn't really elevate itself to compete with Thunderforce 3 or Strider or even Ristar. GOOD game but far from GREAT.

But I LOVE this GBA version! The graphics are actually ten times more impressive then the comparitively bland worlds of the original. Tons of action, good music and sound clips, and CONTRA:HARD CORPS style "comin' at ya" scaling, plus the ability to play two different characters (red and blue), a zillion weapons and powerups, cool bosses and BEST OF ALL you CAN save after every level! Hallelujah!

Read the critics' review for more info. I just want to add, while I got this cheap, I would gladly have paid $35 for it! It's that good! Possibly the best GBA platform shooter ever, all GBA owners need a copy of this!

Zenzerotron

Gunstar Super Heroes/GBA

Postby Zenzerotron » November 13th, 2007, 1:35 pm

Ehhh.....I find this game to make a great first few impressions, but then it starts to drag and flaws become apparent.

I think some of the sections that are tributes, like the Flicky section, become a boring chore after many replays.

I also felt that your character was way too big, takes up like half the screen, so the game always feels cramped.

I always wished this game was a a budget PS2/Xbox game instead. You could have a tiny little character on a full size tv screen, things could all be a grander scale(as far as bosses and such), and you'd have more room to breathe and dodge bullets.

Alienblue

Gunstar Super Heroes/GBA

Postby Alienblue » November 15th, 2007, 1:14 pm

Well, after the excitement of the graphics wore off I'm afraid I must agree with Zen. GSH starts off easy; the first level's a walkthrough....the second isn't TOO bad, but starting with the moon with the Train things get extremely difficult, again because of what Zen said-your character is TOO BIG A TARGET! You simply cannot avoid taking hit after hit. This reduces it to chance, getting in more hits than they do first. It would be so much better if the character was the size of STRIDER in Capcom mini mix!

STILL, I must hold to my opinion that this is a must have game for fast action shooter fans, and I still like it better then the Genesis original!

zenzerotron

Gunstar Super Heroes/GBA

Postby zenzerotron » November 16th, 2007, 3:04 pm

How can you be AFRAID to argee with someone whom is always right??!

I've got Contra 4 coming in the mail any day now. The reviews have been positive so far. Not only is this game good on it's own, but there's unlockables like the old NES Contras.

I'm thinking that this is what you want for your portable run&gun action, instead of Gunstar Super Heroes.

Return to “Reader Reviews”