Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (Genesis, 1990)

The readers post their own reviews.
Wiigamer

Postby Wiigamer » November 22nd, 2007, 10:30 pm

This game is great.  I know I will get hate for this, because people do not have the guts to play the game because of Jackson's cases in the last fifteen years.  This game is said to be done by Jackson himself.

Graphics: B... The graphics are not that bad for 1990, although there is some games with better graphics. It looks great in some of the levels. The animation is good and fluid.

Audio: A+... This is where I think the game shines in. Because of working with Genesis audio, Billie Jean, Smooth Criminal, Beat It, Bad, and Another Part of Me are on the game and sound great. There is some voices, some clear, some not, mainly from Jackson.

Gameplay: B... It is repetitive but at least it is decent. You control Jackson through five side-scrolling levels to rescue kids. It is not like Rambo III where you die after one hit. There is a health bar with only two lives. There is no extra lives but some continues. Bad guys are mainly guys in suits, zombies just to name a few. Level 6 is in a space ship killing the boss that comes in every act. The side scrolling is 3 acts in one level. The attacks are magic, and dance moves with good music from Jackson. Every once in a while you can be a robot, if you rescue a certain amount of kids, and a blue orbit comes. Touch it, and you become the robot. So that's less repetitive.

Final Grade: B... It is worth checking for the music that was great for 1990. The gameplay is decent and with a few moves to quit repeating the attacks over and over. I might touch on the Master System and Game Gear versions.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 23rd, 2007, 10:58 am

I really need to track this down, because I've always been fascinated by Moonwalker.  It seems highly regarded, and I do like MJ's music.

Tourian

Postby Tourian » November 23rd, 2007, 11:42 am

At the end of the day this is only a decent, and yes, repetitive, sidescrolling action game, but the novelty value is through the roof (the music, soundbites-"Who's bad!" and "Wooo!", Michael rescuing kids, Bubbles the chimp, moonwalking, etc.) and will certainly have you smiling for a while. 

Too bad they didn't port the arcade beat 'em up instead.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 23rd, 2007, 12:43 pm

I bought this game when it came out. The music and graphics really wowed me at first, but the repitive gameplay soon killed the fun-factor. I mean, you must go THREE LONG stages of each level, with the same music and graphics....a lot of effort just to see the next"stage change"....this is a video sleeping pill!
Compare it to the GHOSTBUSTERS platformer, released around the same time-that is MUCH more quick-paced and enjoyable.

Not awful, just not a must-play.

QF

Postby QF » November 23rd, 2007, 3:01 pm

I used to play this for the sole reason of getting to the graveyard level and making the zombies dance. The dancing dogs is also good.

andrew

Postby andrew » November 23rd, 2007, 3:17 pm

[QUOTE=Tourian]At the end of the day this is only a decent, and yes, repetitive, sidescrolling action game, but the novelty value is through the roof (the music, soundbites-"Who's bad!" and "Wooo!", Michael rescuing kids, Bubbles the chimp, moonwalking, etc.) and will certainly have you smiling for a while. 

Too bad they didn't port the arcade beat 'em up instead.
[/QUOTE]
You sick sum expletive! Having you smile as Michael rescues kids, your sick!

Tourian

Postby Tourian » November 23rd, 2007, 4:15 pm

The fact that this is the premise of the game is what's funny, obviously.

Return to “Reader Reviews”