Number Muchers (Apple II)

The readers post their own reviews.
Retro STrife

Re: Number Muchers (Apple II)

Postby Retro STrife » December 15th, 2016, 7:01 am

Retro STrife wrote:Definitely one of my favorite educational games from early childhood. I don't even own an Apple II right now, and yet I still bought Word Munchers for it on eBay a couple months back. Just to have it handy if I ever get an Apple II.

My memory is slipping...totally forgot about this topic. I actually did finally pick up an Apple IIe over the summer. I played Number Munchers and Word Munchers. My first thoughts on Word Munchers was "boy, this game is tough!" I was actually struggling at some points to pick the right word sounds..to the point that I really had to think about it, and even got a few wrong. It was a good nostalgia trip, but, in terms of fun and playability, Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego held up much better. And another MECC game that I like, called Market Place, which is a fun sales/marketing game for kids if you have at least two players to compete (it's similar to Lemonade Stand). I put several hours into those three educational games, but only 20 minutes or so into the Munchers game.

IMG_3697.jpg
IMG_3697.jpg (107.1 KiB) Viewed 2666 times

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 15th, 2016, 11:43 am

I used to play this all the time, and find your assessment... BRILLIANT!

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » December 15th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Ah man, how I loved the day when we would be going to the computer lab. Number Munchers, ODell Lake, Carmen Sandiego, and Oregon Trail were the best.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 15th, 2016, 1:10 pm

Rookie1 wrote:Ah man, how I loved the day when we would be going to the computer lab. Number Munchers, ODell Lake, Carmen Sandiego, and Oregon Trail were the best.

Same here. We didn't have Odell Lake at my school, though, so I've never played that one. That didn't stop me from buying it though!...bought a copy on ebay last week and will have to try it out soon. I've heard too much good about it, so couldn't pass it up.

But even the Odell Lake that I bought was a repro/copied version of the game. As I was saying in an earlier post, it's so hard to find legit versions of these old MECC games! Oregon Trail, Odell Lake, and the Munchers games are rarely ever on ebay. (Fortunately, if you're savvy with old technology, you can find the games online for free and make a disk.) As for Carmen Sandiego, those games are a little easier to find, which I attribute to the fact that they were produced by a different company--Broderbund--meaning that it was more likely to be available in stores and purchased by the general public.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » December 24th, 2016, 4:40 am

Played all these games back in elementary school, but there was one more that they had that I've never been able to figure out the title to.

It had an overhead perspective and you moved your character from screen to screen. The map was bisected by a river that ran west to east and which had a raft that you could ride on, ending with a waterfall on the east side. Down south was some sort of a dungeon with a monster and up north were mountains with an aerial cable car that you could ride down the mountain in.

Judging by the fact that my school had all the games mentioned so far, this must've had an educational tie-in of some sort, but I don't have a clue what it was. Anyone have any ideas what game this was?

And in middle school, the shop room had a computer lab which still had a color Apple II with this car builder game.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 28th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Hah, we had the car builder one in my school as well. I remember the way to get it to get to the highest speed possible was making it look like a Delorean to help reduce the wind coefficient. Good times.

Return to “Reader Reviews”