Alternative Review: Strider (Genesis)

The readers post their own reviews.
McTom

Postby McTom » January 2nd, 2006, 4:29 am

Strider (Genesis, Sega 1990) C
[videogamecritic rated: A-]

Strider is one of those games that rises an interesting question: should a game be reviewed reconsidering the context of time of release, or should it be reviewed in comparison to all the games available for the system? If the latter option is chosen, Strider would probably get an F. However, if the first option is chosen, as the Critic seems to have done, it's possible to rate Strider A-. I chose a position midway: yes, a reviewer should reconsider time of release, but also the playability nowadays is still important. And that's, in my opinion, where Strider fails. The game looks good enough if it doesn't move, the animations are kind of crappy compared to later genesis game. The sound also isn't worked out very well: the noises some enemies make are in no proportion to their size. For example, there's a giant metal monkey which just goes *pling pling*. But alright: for the time of release this game looked very good. The playability is another matter. There are some horrible slowdowns if there's too much on screen, which causes control problems. Also, it isn't possible to control your jumps in mid-air, which can mean losing a life if you timed your leap wrong. The shortness of the game is forgivable, because that was standard for games this age. Critic said: "If you're into side-scrolling action, Strider is a title you should have in your library." I would say: if you wonder which kind of side-scrolling where considered classic in the early 16-bit era's, get Strider. If you want real fun and playability, get another game.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 2nd, 2006, 10:24 pm

I agree!

..oops, guess I gotta add a bit more. When Strider came out for the Genny, I remember paying a whopping $79 for this "huge" 8-meg game! At the time, I was like "Awesome...it's like a movie..voices and everything!... and just LOOK at those huge dinosaurs!"....funny how we never noticed the flicker, slowdown and repetitive play.

On the other hand, take Space Invaders from wayyyy back in 1979. Few games look and sound as primitive as this. Yet I can still play it for hours today, while STRIDER sits collecting dust!
The most important aspect of and game is how FUN it is, and how FUN it remains over time! 'nuff said!

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 3rd, 2006, 3:35 pm

Strider for the Genny has to be one of my least favorite Gen games.  I especially hate the music.  Sounds like a kid messing with a Casio keyboard.

welcometoyourdoom

Postby welcometoyourdoom » January 4th, 2006, 7:53 am

Strider is a classic, especially the arcade version but also the Genesis version. No amount of whining will change that. I think games should be reviewed in the context of when they were released, and for its time, Strider was an artistic achievement and typical of Capcom's awesome arcade line-up from the late eighties to the early nineties. Nuff said.

welcometoyourdoom

Postby welcometoyourdoom » January 4th, 2006, 7:58 am

And as for Space Invaders, it too is a classic, but hasn't exactly aged gracefully and was trumped just a year after its release by Galaxian.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 4th, 2006, 3:19 pm

Sorry WTYD, but I DISAGREE on both counts. Yes, it should be mentioned that"When tis came out IT WAS A CASSIC AND DESERVEDLY SO!..." but it should also be stated that , as you have "..it has not aged well.." I find it sooo funny now, things like when you meet the Russian Wrestler. Cool at the time, but today..
"HOOOO-EAYAHHHH!!!" he screams sounding for all the world like he is throwing up! then he rips and tears and flips and one strike from your sword kills him. Like, wow!

Also, Space Invaders..check my date..1979...the ARCADE SI came out in '77! I was talking about the 2600 game, with it's 112 variations. In color and MUCH better than the coin-op! But I disagree, still that Galaxian trumped the arcade SI.. galaxian to me is one of the most boring games ever! At least the invaders got lower and there were multiple strategies and hidden bonuses (like the 21 count trick for the 500 point mother ship).. galaxian was a pretty looking game at the time but every level was the same overandoverandoveran....*yawn*! Again, the later released Colecovision version was superior.

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » January 4th, 2006, 7:39 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Sorry WTYD, but I DISAGREE on both counts. Yes, it should be mentioned that"When tis came out IT WAS A CASSIC AND DESERVEDLY SO!..." but it should also be stated that , as you have "..it has not aged well.." I find it sooo funny now, things like when you meet the Russian Wrestler. Cool at the time, but today..
"HOOOO-EAYAHHHH!!!" he screams sounding for all the world like he is throwing up! then he rips and tears and flips and one strike from your sword kills him. Like, wow!

Also, Space Invaders..check my date..1979...the ARCADE SI came out in '77! I was talking about the 2600 game, with it's 112 variations. In color and MUCH better than the coin-op! But I disagree, still that Galaxian trumped the arcade SI.. galaxian to me is one of the most boring games ever! At least the invaders got lower and there were multiple strategies and hidden bonuses (like the 21 count trick for the 500 point mother ship).. galaxian was a pretty looking game at the time but every level was the same overandoverandoveran....*yawn*! Again, the later released Colecovision version was superior.[/QUOTE]

Can we all at least agree on the awesomeness of Galaga?

McTom

Postby McTom » January 5th, 2006, 6:04 am

i still can have fun playing space invaders. strider though is only frustrating. so i don't see the point of your comparison

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » January 5th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Strider is great and I love the music! Off with your heads!

Cousin Vinnie

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 5th, 2006, 2:58 pm

...I certainly agree MD, that GALAGA is AWESOME, one of the best "base" shooters of all time, if not THE best. It took the basic idea of galaxian but expanded on it in every way, with bonus stages, better graphics, double ships and more! It was always the number one game in our local arcade in '82!...I think it was the SF2 of it's day! People would line up to play this game.

The 7800 version is very nice, too...NES is better, PS1 near perfect but nothing will ever be the same as the original coin-op!

Return to “Reader Reviews”