Alternative Review: Strider (Genesis)

The readers post their own reviews.
Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 6th, 2006, 1:43 am

The Gen version of Strider has annoyed me from the day it was released.  The play control, music, animation all make me cringe.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 6th, 2006, 9:06 am

I think someone mentioned how many of the early Genesis games
"were made to look good in still shots"... although some early
games like REVENGE OF SHINOBI and GOLDEN AXE are also great games, STRIDER just looks good in magazine ads. The graphics are extremely detailed for the time, pusing the genny's color pallete to the limit and reproducing even tiny symbols and every leaf on the trees! But that's the limit....once the game actually begins, the animation is terrible-some enemies have like two frames of animation...and the sound and music are cheesy. Control is really bad, sometimes you seem to make jumps and stuff you shouldn't have while other times you die (or "blink") for no reason. There are still cool sequences, like the bosses, the dinosaurs and amaozon women in the jungle, etc.. and I'd say if you've never played it it is worth LOOKING at...but play the arcade game if possible. P.S. The SMS version actually has better gameplay, though the graphics are of course, smaller and less detailed. And beware: The NES Strider is a completely different game, it simply uses the name (as many early NES games did) from the arcade game!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 10th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Promoted to the review pages.

Return to “Reader Reviews”