DS: TETRIS and RUB RABBITS

The readers post their own reviews.
Alieblue

Postby Alieblue » March 31st, 2006, 3:04 pm

Well, hey, two games on the same day! Actually John R. ordered RR for me and it came UPS last night (didn't play it till this morning though) and I went to wal*mart hoping to get PRINCESS PEACH but they were sold out but I still got TERISS!

RUB RABBITS B
I have to admit that in both these cases ZEN was right (very pleased with ourselves, now, ZEN?! )... Rub Rabbits is most deffinitely NOT a bad game and I am glad I got it, but it should be called "FEEL THE MAGIC 1.0" because it is sooooo much like Feel The Magic. That's not necessarily bad, though. I loved FTM , I just got frustrated because, being sick, my hand eye coordination is not what it once was and I could only make it halfway through the game.
Just like FTM you must impress a girl by playing through 6 stages of increasingly harder minigames...just like FTM you get breaktimes and etc.., etc..,...however it seems that a major goof was made in that you don't get TWO choices to play at a time only one! (at least on the early stages...I haven't read the manual yet) If you can't beat it you are really stuck! As in FTM I breezed through the first mini-game (ride the down escalator UP) but stumbled on the PIANO (play lit keys before they UN-lit). I was very frustrated with FTM and hoped RR would be EASIER not HARDER! Oh well, still worth it to FTM fans who, unlike me, can still hold the DS without shaking!

TETRIS DS A+

Now THIS is an excellent game! I feel sorry for GB:micro owners who have no choice but to play that incredibly bad TETRIS WORLDS! TERIS DS is FANTASTIC! How to make this old concept NEW and fit the double screen? The solution was brilliant: while you play the "normal" mode on the bottom screen, a classic NES game is being played on the TOP screen: while you do not control the top game (Super mario Bros., Metroid, DK and more!) what goes on IS affected by how well you play the TETRIS game! Meanwhile, characters from the NES game are scaled and rotated against beautiful backgrounds on the bottom screen! Guys n gals I will be UP ALL NIGHT TONIGHT PLAYING THIS! Also exploring the other modes; there are Wi-Fi and standard two player modes, and others as well! Line, block, etc...! As usual the DS is proving that portables do puzzle games better then consoles (look at ZOOKEEPER, METEOS, PUZZLE LEAUGE (GBA) and on and ON!) and I think THIS IS THE BEST TETRIS since the old TETRIS DX on GBC!!!! BUY THIS! Seriously, every DS owner should have a copy of this!

Ho-K! I'll let y'all know when I get that PRINCESS PEACH! I hear it is a PEACH of a game (though Perilous to Paulines!)

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 1st, 2006, 1:43 am

I actually found Rub Rabbits to be much easier then Feel The Magic. Feel The Magic had some seriously frustrating and difficult mini-games. The hardest mini-games on Rub Rabbits are comparable to the average-challenge Feel The Magic mini-games.

Rub Rabbits feels even more simplistic and gimmicky compared to Feel The Magic. Alot of the mini-games, which aren't dressed-up &recycled games from Feel The Magic, feel like overglorfied ancient LCD handheld games from 20 years ago.

You'll also notice that around the midway point of the game, the programmers really ran out of ideas, so they repeat many of the same games as before, and they don't even pretend they aren't, it even says "blah-blah PART 2".

As for Princess Peach.............like any pretty girl with zero brains, I got sick of her about halfway through the game. What made later Mario games(Mario 3, Super Mario World, etc) so great was the fact that you could explore and experment in the levels and find all sorts of wild secrets and hidden stuff. Princess Peach's levels are far too simplistic and straight forward.

They tried to mask the overly simple&easy levels by requiring you to find 3 hidden Toads(friendly mushroom guys) in each and every level in order to unlock the very last stage and beat the game. Does this compensate for the fact that the levels lack challenge and secrets?? Nope, because these Toads are very easy to find, and many are in plain-sight.

Honestly, I think Nintendo shot itself in the foot by trying to make this game easy&simple enough to appeal to young gamers and females. By worrying if 3 year old girls can finish it or not, they made the game so easy&simple that it becomes a chore to play around the half-way point.

It also feels like a "cover band" Mario game instead of an actual Mario game. All the gameplay-moves and level themes are recycled from previous Mario games, but it feels like an poser, and not a true root in the Mario tree.

I'm not saying Princess Peach is bad, but it's "C" material.

As for Tetris DS, all too often, especially on the lame-duck Gamecube, Nintendo recycles characters&themes from it's proud NES and Super NES history to fakely evoke some sentimental emotion, and it feels kiddish, stale, and insencere.

However, for whatever reason, Tetris DS comes off to me as a very geninune and heartfelt tribute to the NES glory days.

And if you are reading this Paul, be a good boy and not moan about my "lame duck" Gamecube statements ....it's not my fault that I'm always right.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 2nd, 2006, 7:03 am

ZEN....well, you are NOT always right ol' chap (me and JOHN R. have enjoyed a couple of games you did not like...and as for RUB RABBITS, MY only beef is that you don't get to chose two games at once!-besides that, I knew what I was getting here, FTM 1.0 as I said...and the levels to me feel fresh and fun...I thought "run up the down escalator" while avoiding fat sumo wrestlers was cool and PIANO? Nothing like that on FTM, unless you count the button pushing of PARACHUTE...and PARACHUTE was like an old simple LCD game too!)...HOWEVER I do believe our tastes in games are SIMILAR here so I'm giving you the benifit of the doubt on this one and not getting Princess Peach unless I play it first ok? It's only about a month until THE NEW/NEXT SUPER MARIO BROS. anyway, and WE ALL WANT THAT!!!!!! P.S. Please Don't be offended ZEN, I still think you are a great guy...it's just that we all have our own likes and dislikes, ok? And yes TETRIS DS ROCKS!

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 2nd, 2006, 6:46 pm

Nothing offends me, because in a very natural way, I'm so confident that I'm always right, that no doubt/insecurity enters my mind when people disagree with me ......

Boston

Postby Boston » April 3rd, 2006, 9:52 am

Be carefule Zen, the second you critisize Nintendo you will be ostracized on this site!!!! Just repeat after me....

"Every thing from Nintendo is A+++++ material".....

Don't you feel better now! I am sure you do! Now get back to those A+ games like FTM and Rub Rabbits!

Boston

John Rowland

Postby John Rowland » April 3rd, 2006, 1:56 pm

Was that really necessary Boston?  We've been over this before, and I think the general consensus is that there are few, if any, "fanboys" on this forum.  Now let's never speak of this again.  Seriously, that's it, we're not going to ruin this thread. 

THANK YOU.

Boston

Postby Boston » April 3rd, 2006, 2:07 pm

Dude, take it easy. I didn't see you coming to my aid when the Nintendo fanboys were trying to run me off this site! But your point is well taken and we shouldn't ruin this thred as I did enjoy Alienblue's reviews........I'll still pass on RubRabbits but I am sure to pick up Tetris now...I was a little skeptical after reading all of the standard reviews over the web....

Boston

ALIENBLUE1

Postby ALIENBLUE1 » April 3rd, 2006, 2:24 pm

THANK YOU John, (again!)....didn't I just say I WON'T buy Princess Peach from Nintendo because I DO believe it is not
and A+ game? And in my Sonic thread I said that Mario has had a couple of games I did not like, too! I really like Nintendo and
wish them well on the REV, but hey, I like SONY too, I play my
PSone all the time, same with Sega SATURN and GENNY...I could go on but just because Nintendo does have a lot of great games
doesn't mean I'm a fanboy! (Get TETRIS DS though! It is every NINTENDO FANBOYS DREAM! ....as well as being enjoyable to those of us who AREN'T!!!)

Boston

Postby Boston » April 3rd, 2006, 2:49 pm

Just so it's clear....I wasn't calling Alienblue a fanboy....

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 3rd, 2006, 3:11 pm

I hope you guys realize that when I go on the "I'm always right" thing, it's done in jest. I always speak my mind, I'm always honest, yes, but I'm cheeky and not militant.

Boston..I'm not saying that Super Princess Peach is bad. I'm just saying it's not up to the 2d sidescrolling Mario pedigree. I'll say it again.......Super Princess Peach doesn't have any challenge, level innovation, gameplay innovation, secrets, or level exploration. What made Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island so great was the fact those games were packed with innovative level designs, and most importantly, levels you could explore to find all sorts of crazy secrets.

It's just like Guardian Heroes Advance and Gunstar Super Heroes..those games are good, but you can't help but feel disappointed because their orginal counterparts are so much better. It's the same deal with Super Princess Peach, it's hard to be in love with her, when you've tasted the fruits of previous Mario masterpieces.

I would recommend getting Super Princess Peach, but not for the 34.99 they are asking for it now. Pick it up when it gets in the 19.99 range.

And Alienblue is right....the new Super Mario Bros is most likely going to be an A+ game, making Super Princess Peach even more average&forgettable then it already is.

Return to “Reader Reviews”