Mario Kart 64

The readers post their own reviews.
Atariboy

Re: Mario Kart 64

Postby Atariboy » April 13th, 2016, 6:55 am

Out of curiosity, where are you playing it?

I've noticed that steering is a bit too sensitive on the Wii Virtual Console version with Classic Controllers or GameCube controllers, resulting it a bit of trouble with being precise like steering a straight course down a long straightaway on Royal Raceway.

Never have had that trouble with the actual cartridge and original controllers.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 13th, 2016, 12:02 pm

Atariboy wrote:Out of curiosity, where are you playing it?

I've noticed that steering is a bit too sensitive on the Wii Virtual Console version with Classic Controllers or GameCube controllers, resulting it a bit of trouble with being precise like steering a straight course down a long straightaway on Royal Raceway.

Never have had that trouble with the actual cartridge and original controllers.

I play all my N64 games on the console itself. I've had my original one for 17 years.

Anyway, I have zero issues with the controls of most other N64 racers I've played, yet I feel the opposite when it came to the sensitivity of the N64 version of MK64. It just seems so slippery.

I'm not sure why, but I can handle the controls far better in games like 1080, Wave Race, DKR, and Beetle Adventure Racing than I can with Mario Kart 64, and that's a big reason why I'm not as high on it as I am with other MK games. I just think Nintendo's been able to tweak the controls to perfection in the 2000s' and 2010s'.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 25th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Back in high school, we would hang out with my friend, the luckiest person in town. This guy's parents let him do whatever he wanted to do in the guesthouse. He could have parties. He could bring girls over. He could drink, smoke weed, you name it. Whenever I was caught doing any of that, my mom would be waiting at home with a bible in her hand. If only we had a guest house!

Now he did have PS1 and an N64 (Being 1998, he also had a CRT). And turntables. Often him and my friends would mix some deep house music while we passed the bong and played Mariokart 64. There was this one song in particular that I liked, but I never could find it. Over twenty years went by, and I still had no idea what the song was, even after searching YouTube and Google.

Now a couple months ago, I was listening to an old mix from 1993 by Julian Jumpin' Perez, and all the sudden this song comes on again. I couldn't believe my ears! I had found it! Twenty years!

And what was I doing when I heard it again after 20 years? Playing Mariokart 64 and getting stoned. On a CRT. Now how's that for perfect symmetry?

By the way, the song was called "Let me be" by Cajmere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYPlBxk2_jU

Voor

Postby Voor » March 27th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Lol nice. I’ve never been a fan of weed (or alcohol, for that matter), but I do have very similar experiences with MK64 in college. Truly, between that, goldeneye, and smash Bros—those 3 games with a couple of friends is 90% what my 64 was used for, and it’s one of my favorites.

I’ve played all the others except for 8, and I think it still holds up.

Return to “Reader Reviews”