YIE ARE KUNG FU

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

YIE ARE KUNG FU

Postby Alienblue » June 15th, 2011, 12:43 pm

YIE ARE KUNG FU / konami coin-op / B+

(included on the KONAMI HITS collection)

For a long time I was stuck on this game but yesterday I made it pretty far, unusual for me for a one on one fighter! I made it to the SEVENTH round!

Considering this is a pre-SF2 fighter it is astoundingly fun. The graphics are TINY......the fighters have eyes but NO ONE NOSE or mouth. There are at least two backgrounds, a blue cave and a temple.

Again for such and old game, there are at least a dozen different opponents- although you can only be the main character, OOLONG. OOLONG has more than sixteen moves in all and an arrow on screen indicates controller motions, I like that! It helps you see a move was accepted.

Opponents include a fat guy, STAR, a female throwing stars at you, a guy with nunchucks, a guy with a FAN, a guy with a STAFF, and so on. Since all but the first three opponents are hidden, getting to the next is a real sense of accomplishment. Music is limited but okay, sound is typical oofs and bops.

For too long I dismissed this game as not worth the time to master. I'm reviewing it for those with the Konami hits collection for various systems, go back and try it. It has much more depth than it first seems and is my new "must beat" game after I beat ROAD FIGHTER!

WHY ARE KUNG FOO? WHO NOSE?

0-Storm

YIE ARE KUNG FU

Postby 0-Storm » June 19th, 2011, 12:25 am

Played it & loved it. Actually played the Arcade version at a grocery store back in the day. It was the first one-on-one fighter I remember. The music was catchy. It was great. Hasn't aged well & playing it at home in 2011 just doesn't compare to playing the arcade in 1985.  

Leo1

YIE ARE KUNG FU

Postby Leo1 » June 19th, 2011, 1:23 am

I've always hated this game and wondered why it would always see a rerelease everytime Konami ever so much as touched its backcatalog.

Glad to see some people have been able to recognize the charm in it since it seems like some effort went into it back in the day. Too bad it's lost on me.

Alienblue

YIE ARE KUNG FU

Postby Alienblue » June 19th, 2011, 12:58 pm

Oops, FAN is a woman, not a guy!

It was lost on me too at first, it seemed primitive and stupid.

But there are SO MANY characters to fight, it is fun to see who pops up next. So far I've made it to the end boss of level two but can't defeat him.

The most powerful move is the CROUCH KICK, crouch,kick, back away, repeat. You can't block, so you must dodge weapons and hits.

The voice is funny. Its supposed to say PERFECT, it sounds like DOHPECT or something, and it sometimes says it when you get HIT, not score a PERFECT!

Return to “Reader Reviews”