Advance Wars 2 for GBA

The readers post their own reviews.
N64Dude1

Advance Wars 2 for GBA

Postby N64Dude1 » August 7th, 2011, 8:36 pm

It's been awhile since I wrote up review,but since I'm off to college and frankly,I'm not sure how much time I'll have on me. Therefore it's appropriate to take a break from my usual run of reviews. So I think I'll bring to the forum my perspective on highly-regarded and my most played GBA game.........

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising

Grade: B-

Platform: GameBoy Advance

Year:2003

Developer:Intelligent Systems

Publisher:Nintendo

Now this game is really quite something for those who haven't played the original/played the original later [Like myself] and quite something for those who loved the original so much any deviating sequel automatically sucked.For those who fall into neither category be warned that this is but an expansion pack to the original Advance Wars with only Neotanks,Missile Silos,new maps,and the ability to play other factions added.

Past that obligatory Lemony Snicket Label warning how it's an expansion,it of course retains/has a heckuva lot of cute-sy,cartoony things going on. The soldiers look like little boys,the vehicles are nicely curved and brightly colored,and the music is downright upbeat. Sorry folks,but war was never so cute before this or for that matter fun (mostly). Anyway you control infantry,tanks,helicopters,bombers,and even submarines (the list goes on mind you) through a good variety of maps.On these maps you are supposed to strategically place these units to either attack or capture the enemy HQ and use special powers from your CO. Now that's all fine and dandy but it gets tedious after a while,but thanks to some split screen animation of these attacks,it makes playing all the while. Also there are other modes than the main story which makes for a nice break.

Unfortunately it all comes at the heavy cost of either A) Wading through corny dialogue or B)Wading through skipping said corny dialogue. And of course some of the maps are horribly designed with near impossible odds [luckily most of those are later on].Finally it lacks the immersion that you can find in similar looking but quirkier Battalion Wars and the ability to go back and play old missions.

All and all,great game, quite addicting really. However I'd suggest you expect for a little frustration,text walls,and corniness first.

- Reviewed by N64Dude 8/7/11

Return to “Reader Reviews”