Doom Sega 32X

The readers post their own reviews.
Number XIII

Doom Sega 32X

Postby Number XIII » August 9th, 2011, 4:42 am

Doom (Sega 32X)

Ah what can I say about Doom? It was a big a big part of my childhood. I played the PC version at the age of 3. Okay maybe I shouldn’t have been playing a game like Doom at that age but hey I turned out fine. Doom was the game that kick started the FPS genre. Before anyone calls bull, yes I am fully aware that Wolfenstein 3D came out first but it was Doom that popularized the concept and without it games like Duke Nukem 3D, Goldeneye 007, Medal of Honor and Call of Duty probably wouldn’t exist. It’s over the top gore and satanic symbols have gathered a lot of controversy over the years but let’s not focus on the controversy. Of course a game like Doom was bound to see console ports. It’s been ported officially to systems such as the SNES, 32X, Jaguar, the Play Station and Game Boy Advance. It’s also been ported to the systems like the Wii and DS via homebrew. Today we are going to be taking a look at the Sega 32X port.

The graphics are alright. Not as good as the PC version but hey what do you expect? This was on a 4th Generation console...well console add on in this case… Video Game system graphics weren’t up to PC standards at the time. Though I must admit I am curious as to why it was like that. All and all the graphics on this port are pretty respectable. One of the things that really bugs me about this port is that thick border around the game screen that makes you’re view significantly smaller. You’d think you can adjust it so you can see a full screen view but you can’t. I’ve heard this is because of 32X limitations but you know if you can’t release it on full screen you might as well not release it at all…*looks at the SNES version* then again….As for the control scheme something I really don’t like is that out of the 6 buttons the game uses they don’t have any strafing buttons. This can make avoiding projectiles from imps and cacodemons a bit difficult. Instead we have a second weapon scrolling button and…a sprint button? Did we really need a sprint button? A SPRINT BUTTON IN DOOM ISN’T NECESSARY!!!!....ahem….sorry about that! Another issue with the game is that 10 of the levels are missing (twice as many missing levels as any other version of the game). Sorry the Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon bosses in this version. In fact none of the episode 3 maps appear in this version so the BFG 9000 does not make an appearance. They’ve also got the only the frontal sprites for the enemies so you won’t be able to make any enemies fight amongst themselves to distract them from you.  Actually they only have front sprites for the rockets too. So when you are firing rockets the tip of the rocket is facing you…OH COME ON!!!! HOW CAN YOU MESS THAT UP!?!? Now for the music…my god it’s terrible…You’d think with the improved graphics on the 32X the sound would also be better. The sound effects though are as good as the PC’s. There’s nothing like hearing the sound of you’re machine gun mowing down scores of Zombie marines and imps or the sound of you’re chainsaw cutting through a demon.

THE VERDICT

The game is okay but the flaws really show. I found this port to be a bit of a disappointment. The game was actually rushed to meet the release date of the 32X. It’s a shame if they had given more time the game would have been much better than what we got. I give this game a C. Let’s face it there are much better console versions of the game than this.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Doom Sega 32X

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 9th, 2011, 7:57 pm

This is a good review.  I enjoyed the conversation quality.
However I think there's a typo where you're talking about the bosses.

Number XIII

Doom Sega 32X

Postby Number XIII » August 9th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Sorry. I meant to say The Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon don't appear in this version.

Return to “Reader Reviews”