PRIMAL RAGE/genny

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

PRIMAL RAGE/genny

Postby Alienblue » August 21st, 2011, 1:13 pm

PRIMAL RAGE / Genesis / C

The PRIMAL RAGE arcade game / Emulation is an AWESOME idea. Whoever thought of a DINOSAUR FIGHTING GAME was brilliant. Although I think the two giant apes and fake Dinos like the Snake-thing and "Armagon", a non existant armored dino, was a bit much. I wish they had made it all REAL Dinosaurs like the T-rex and Velociraptor. Still, the claymation graphics are fantastic and I think there are just the right amount of levels o conquer, not too many, not too few, just right. And cute Rampage trick of eating humans for energy.

The problem with the Genesis cart is the loss of COLOUR and SOUND. The sounds are still there but awfully quiet. But the COLOUR.....yee gods of URTH, this looks bad. The digitized graphics are reduced to muddy washes of reds, browns, and purples. The only two decent looking stages are the White arctic stage and Cave stage. The others are too washed out to see much detail. The controls are okay, the difficulty is adjustable, but its just not as fun playing a yellow blob as opposed to the Beautifuly animated SAURON of the coin-op.

Still, this is far, FAR better than the horrible black and white Gameboy version. Why they even bothered with that will always be a mystery.

How is the 32X version, anyone tried that? Is it better?

By the way the very first dinosaur fighting game was the primitive TRS-80 colour computer DINO WARS. Anybody remember that funny "dino-boxing" game of the early 80's......? Oh so you ARE that old!

JustLikeHeaven1

PRIMAL RAGE/genny

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » August 22nd, 2011, 10:55 am

Nice review Alienblue.  Primal Rage was such an awesome idea, but the execution was really lacking.  Plus there simply wasn't enough variety in the dinos.  The fighting was OK and all in all it really just felt mediocre.  The C grade is pretty much perfect.  

I've played the Genesis and SNES games back in the day...however the real way to play this is on the 3DO or on the Midway Arcade Treasures Volume 2.  Those are the best versions...though I believe they changed all of the moves in the Midway compilation.   

Alienblue

PRIMAL RAGE/genny

Postby Alienblue » August 22nd, 2011, 1:12 pm

Yes, by setting the MIDWAY PS2 version to easy I was actually able to beat this.......I cannot win one match on easy in the MORTAL KOMBAT 2 and 3 games, but RAGE is very easy on easy, its a walkthrough. I get intimidated by all the moves in most fighting games, so the three moves (plus jump moves) here are perfect to me.......BITE, CLAW, TAIL WHIP (or FART for the apes......ugggg!)......I did not finish the last battle though, it wasn't worth going through all the characters again.

I'm still amazed by the fact that PRIMAL RAGE is just one of 20+ perfect arcade games for $20 or so. Amazing when you realize the grainy Genesis cart cost $39.99 when released!

RAGGGGGGEEEEEE!

Return to “Reader Reviews”