GI JOE/ 2600

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

GI JOE/ 2600

Postby Alienblue » September 6th, 2011, 12:48 pm

GI JOE COBRA STRIKE/ Atari 2600 / D-

While Parker Brothers had a great start with three fantastic Liscensed games- FROGGER, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, and SPIDERMAN, they soon lapsed into producing quickie crapheaps for the 2600.......and did not really regain their glory until they started making 5200, XE and Colecovision games.

You'd think a game called GI JOE would allow you to control Snake Eyes, Scarlette, Lady J, Roadblock or Mutt in a FRONTLINE type game, right? FORGET IT, beyond the box illustration this game is just a bad combination of Data Age WARPLOCK and ATLANTIS, watered down and ironed out to a thin smear on the GI JOE name.

As streams of JOES run from Barracks A to Barracks B, you must simultaneously sheild them from a Cobra while shooting at said Cobra. Its a dumb concept and UNCONTROLLABLE to boot locker! You don't even feel like you are DOING anything here.....the sheild FLOATS back and forth pays little attention to the Paddle control......pressing the button fires one of two guns but the guns aim their own way, and hits are pure luck. This thing is as much fun as hitting your head with the cart repeatedly.

The only thing saving it from F-ville is the nice graphic of the cobra. This has to be the coolest SNAKE on any 2600 game and is damn near NES quality.... although the rest of the graphics are pure stick figure stuff, and the only sounds are beeps and razzes (odd because most PB 2600 carts have great sound effects).

The only possible reason to buy this thing is if you collect old GI JOE stuff. If so buy it and stick it WAYYYYY on the back shelf where IT CAN DO THE LEAST HARM!

astrosmasher

GI JOE/ 2600

Postby astrosmasher » September 10th, 2011, 2:57 pm

I am sure that they called this game  Action man over in the UK but i never played it... and now I never will thanks for the review
as bad as this game seems it cant be worse than the terrible movie that was out a few years back...

Jake

GI JOE/ 2600

Postby Jake » September 13th, 2011, 10:50 pm

[QUOTE=astrosmasher]I am sure that they called this game  Action man over in the UK but i never played it... and now I never will thanks for the review
as bad as this game seems it cant be worse than the terrible movie that was out a few years back...

[/QUOTE]

I think this G.I. Joe game is indeed better then anything NEW G.I. Joe lol.

It's a nifty paddle game really, nothing to cheer over... but I think it's one of the average to BETTER paddle games.

D- seems way too low in my book. Street Racer is D- for example.

Jake

GI JOE/ 2600

Postby Jake » September 16th, 2011, 9:29 pm

[QUOTE=astrosmasher]I am sure that they called this game  Action man over in the UK but i never played it... and now I never will thanks for the review
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go off this review.
I'd trust the critics take on it, it's about B- C- quality. It's fun to block snake venom, and the sound and graphics are quite good I think...

The game isn't luck, but skill and accuracy. 

The controls are not too terrible, I'm pretty sure the controls are NOT making the game difficuly harder on purpose but with paddle controls it enables you to move your cannon fires, and the shield both at the same time, NO SMALL FEAT! I think Parker Bros, did a nice job, just don't know what G.I. Joes are running at the bottom, they all look like clones. Though, it does makes sense because their not the main focus of the game... the goal is to defeat each snake, which they get more angry and dangerous as the game goes on...and change colors and movement, and how fast their venom spit? goes.

I don't think G.I. Joe cobra strike has been given a fully accurate review yet.
I never found it that difficult to learn, plus it's has more to it then many paddle games do.

Jake

GI JOE/ 2600

Postby Jake » September 21st, 2011, 7:32 am

If you wanna see GI Joes graphics, here's a pic of my best score.
Got it just one week ago,

You get a bonus life at 10ks and 20ks... so on....

Return to “Reader Reviews”