SKY SKIPPER / 2600

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

SKY SKIPPER / 2600

Postby Alienblue » September 12th, 2011, 2:43 pm

SKY SKIPPER / 2600 / C-

As most have noticed, I've been going through Parker Bros. games. I admire Parker Bros. COLECOVISION games, but except for a few, their 2600 ones are kinda ho-hum.

SKY SKIPPER was the first Nintendo 'Get the crazy gorrila" game, and can be called DONKEY LOOPING PILOT. You fly a Red letter Z around a bunch of blue baby blocks, bombing diseased mutant gerbils in order to free coloured tokens. The box cover pretends all this is a biplane bombing gorillas to free animals from skyscrapers, but lets call aspade aspade here.

The controls suck.....just brushing the maze walls or gorrilas kills you, and even the grey blobby clouds are deadly.

Like most PB games the sounds are the best part. The musical tune is cute and the sound effects are well done. Whoever programmed these games knew music but not graphic art!

Amazingly, Parker paid for full page advertisements for this game only to blow it out for $4.99 and two boxtops three months after release. I can still hear the echoes of their weeping. SKYYYYY SKIP SKIP SKIP....... SKIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPERRRRRRRRRR! WHAT NOW GILILGAN!?

MoonMetropolis

SKY SKIPPER / 2600

Postby MoonMetropolis » September 12th, 2011, 8:26 pm

I have not played the Atari 2600 version, but the original arcade version is pretty... meh.

It's also rather surprising to hear the word "damn" used in an old Nintendo game.

Jake

SKY SKIPPER / 2600

Postby Jake » September 12th, 2011, 11:37 pm

Considering the big difference in Consoles, Atari 2600 being much older and disadvantaged to Colecovision, I'm more impressed with the Parker Bros games for the 2600...  I'd say the CV ones are ho-hum.

A couple of my fav Atari 2600 games are Parker Bros. Like,... Reactor, Popeye, Tutankham, Frogger, Spiderman etc.

Sky Skipper is ok... seems sorta rush-job but the gameplay is not so bad,
but its a rather blah game overall.

PacFan

SKY SKIPPER / 2600

Postby PacFan » September 13th, 2011, 10:56 am

Nice job on these reviews. I always felt Parker Brothers was under appreciated for their games.

Return to “Reader Reviews”