SQUEEZE BOX/2600

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

SQUEEZE BOX/2600

Postby Alienblue » September 22nd, 2011, 12:35 pm

SQUEEZE BOX / 2600 / F

I remember paying $1.99 for this dog and wishing I had spent the money on something more entertaining, like a root canal!

This is a kid's game with an adult theme, and I never figured that out. You are Barney, escaping from alcatraz prison by shooting the bars, and if you lose you GET SENT TO HELL. Which is where this game should go.

I narmally like Breakout-type games but this is pathetic. You can't SHOOT, only AIM, and aiming is very hard. And every level is exactly the same, and it gets boring after 30 seconds of playing.

The graphics are good, but all that you see is Barney shooting colored bars. The sounds are harsh rasping noise.

This game must have taken ten minutes to program. I've seen type-in basic computer programs better then this. One of the 2600's worst games, and thats a big pile of poo!

Jake

SQUEEZE BOX/2600

Postby Jake » October 10th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Yeah this game is a stinker-roo... F

Mindless shooter... lol is it a shooter or??

For example, if you have two color bars lined up one on each side, you can just move the joystick left or right, hold fire... and keep the round going on forever or till you get bored or your hands give out.

There's not much involved here... just shoot bricks and they regenerate, that's it, that's the whole game!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

SQUEEZE BOX/2600

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 10th, 2011, 9:01 pm

I feel like going back and re-reviewing this one if only for the sake of wallowing in its badness.

Astrosmasher1

SQUEEZE BOX/2600

Postby Astrosmasher1 » October 11th, 2011, 5:54 pm

yeah this game sucks.... I never played it before I got the Stella emulation working and its so bad.....

Leo1

SQUEEZE BOX/2600

Postby Leo1 » October 11th, 2011, 10:36 pm

I guess someone has to stand up for this game. I don't think it's devoid of charm. It's a very average game, but all the aspects of it are serviceable enough and there's a real challenge involved. I enjoy revisting it on occasion and I seem to recall even my sisters could be entertained by it for a while back in the day. I think walls closing it on you was a pretty creative concept.

Other than a game or two, I think most of the U.S. Games library was enjoyable on the 2600. Granted, much of it was pretty average like this game, Space Jockey, and Gopher. But they had very few clunkers even though much of their library falls into the C territory.

There's some fun to be had here, I think. I can name dozens of worse games on the 2600.

Return to “Reader Reviews”