Seaweed Assault (Atari 2600)

The readers post their own reviews.
The Mad Blogger

Postby The Mad Blogger » November 7th, 2011, 3:50 pm

On November 6, 2011, Duane Alan Hahn released Seaweed Assault for the Atari 2600. The premise is an interesting one. Your name is Captain Nalad Modnar and you are part of an advanced underwater civilization. It's your duty to patrol your section of the ocean in a semi-organic submarine called the Manatee. Highly aggressive seaweed surrounds you and it keeps trying to replicate faster than you can shoot. Use your torpedoes to blast any bits of seaweed that appear before they clog up your sector and spread to others, making it nearly impossible for anyone to travel. Don't let the seaweed strangle your civilization to extinction.

Although the premise is interesting, the game is not. After a while, shooting little green rectangles (seaweed) with your ship gets boring. And yes, the difficulty increases and more seaweed appears, but this concept was already illustrated in another homebrew game for the Atari 2600: Worming War I. And so, after a few minutes, you'll find yourself letting the "aggressive" seaweed capture your ship, just to see what happens.

Rating: C

Random Terrain

Postby Random Terrain » November 21st, 2011, 8:55 am

You seem to be confused. As you can see in the link below, there is a homebrew game called Warring Worms and a commercial game by 20th Century Fox called Worm War I, but both games are nothing like Seaweed Assault:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/189490-seaweed-assault-is-finally-finished-atari-2600-game/page__st__50__p__2409391#entry2409391

Even if you weren't confused and you were living in an alternate timeline where a homebrew called Worming War I exists and the game is similar to Seaweed Assault, since when does the concept for an Atari 2600 game have to be wildly different from all others? For example, many games released for the Atari 2600 are variants of Space Invaders or Pac-Man or Breakout or Berzerk or . . .

Return to “Reader Reviews”