Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

The readers post their own reviews.
sega saturn x

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Postby sega saturn x » June 23rd, 2006, 10:39 am

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 (capcom) A+

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is probably the pinnacle of the Capcom Vs. Series of games. And could very well be my favorite fighting game out there. Busting at the seems with a 56 character roster from all corners of marvel and capcom respective universes it’s a big brawl to say the least, marvel civil war big. Simply put unlocking everything this game has to offer will take dozens of hours. And it will be well worth it, if only to see Felicia from dark stalkers thrash the Hulk.

The combat as balls to the wall frenzied as you’re likely to find in a fighter. It’s all chaos all the time, and that’s how a super hero fighting game should be. Like myself you will probably laugh out loud at some fo the match ups. There is just something special about Omega red going to town on Ryu. Although all the characters are fairly well matched pitting Sakura from street fighter against War Machine is just plain mean.

Still despite how chaotic the fights are there is definitely a fair amount of strategy to them. You pick a three man squad of fighters, and you can swap them out on the fly during a fight. This is key because characters not engaged in combat can be used as strikers from the side lines and they can also heal themselves. But when you command them to strike they can be hit. A well placed optic blast could take down one of your weakened strikers so you have to think on the fly who is best for what. It’s a fairly intuitive system once you get the hang of it and adds a lot of depth.

I admit to being a long time Marvel fan, and this is pretty much the ultimate in "what if". What if the Avengers took on the X-men etc. Sure you could read the actual comics to see how the match up would go but here you get to decide who wins. You can even form the team of some times evil villains, which of course would comprise of Magneto, Venom, and Juggernaut.

The graphics are of course bright and vibrant like you would expect from a capcom fighter. The controls have been streamlined to make fighting more user friendly. And pulling of your special is as easy as pulling both triggers at the same time. And while that may sound like it would make ti to easy, trust me there are plenty of difficulty levels here to please even the most masochistic of fighter fans.

Marvel or really any fighter fan should enjoy this title. But this comes even more highly recommended to marvel fans since it’s not very likely we will see another marvel fighter of this caliber soon if ever again. Now that EA now holds the rights to make all marvel fighting games, which means all 3-d all the time. Oh well, at least it had a fantastic last outing.

IronKnux

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Postby IronKnux » June 28th, 2006, 11:35 pm

I agree, fantastic game, one of the best 2D fighters, but which system are you referring to? DC or XBox? Both are great, so it doesn't matter... but I'm just curious.

sega saturn x

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Postby sega saturn x » June 29th, 2006, 9:25 pm

[QUOTE=IronKnux]I agree, fantastic game, one of the best 2D fighters, but which system are you referring to? DC or XBox? Both are great, so it doesn't matter... but I'm just curious.
[/QUOTE]Dreamcast, the ps2 and x box pads never clicked with fighters for me. 

JustLikeHeaven1

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 29th, 2006, 11:09 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

Dreamcast, the ps2 and x box pads never clicked with fighters for me. 

[/QUOTE]

I just picked up a pair of Street Fighter Collector Edition Controller for the Xbox.  They feature 6 buttons and make fighting games much easier to play on the xbox.  I got these suckers brand new for $9.99 a piece.  Well worth the investment in my opinion.  Plus who doesn't want to whip out a wicked awesome Guile and M.Bison controller when they play a Capcom fighting game?  Check out the Critic's "Cool Stuff" section to see a picture.

sega saturn x

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Postby sega saturn x » June 30th, 2006, 12:02 am

I've seen them but have heard nothing but bad things from hardcore fighter fans (IE people who like to complain) so it's a wash.  I've never been to big of a street fighter fan, but always loved darkstalkers.  Now if they made darkstalkers bads I would pick those up in an instant.  Plus I only own one 2-d fighter for each the rest is cast and saturn stuff.  Thoguh kof11 looks to change all that.

JustLikeHeaven1

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 30th, 2006, 10:16 am

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

I've seen them but have heard nothing but bad things from hardcore fighter fans (IE people who like to complain) so it's a wash.  I've never been to big of a street fighter fan, but always loved darkstalkers.  Now if they made darkstalkers bads I would pick those up in an instant.  Plus I only own one 2-d fighter for each the rest is cast and saturn stuff.  Thoguh kof11 looks to change all that.

[/QUOTE]

The controllers are actually pretty good (much better than a standard Xbox controller).  The only problem I've really noticed is thats a little too difficult to perform Ken or Ryu's Dragon Punch.  But I only paid $9.99 for each of em and I'm not gonna complain.

I agree with you about Darkstalkers though.  I enjoy that series way more than Street Fighter.  I love the occult theme and the characters are frickin sweet!

bluemonkey1

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 2nd, 2006, 8:07 am

No one should ever use pads to play a fighting game, especially a 2D one.  Sticks all the way! (I particularly like the XBox stick as it has interchangeable heads!)

sega saturn x

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Postby sega saturn x » July 2nd, 2006, 10:46 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]No one should ever use pads to play a fighting game, especially a 2D one.  Sticks all the way! (I particularly like the XBox stick as it has interchangeable heads!)
[/QUOTE]

Sticks are a pain in the rear though.  Most sticks under 100$ have something wrong with them the seriously hamper play.  Even simple things like mushy buttons or they aren't heavy enough so they move.  With the cast and saturn pads I've never had any problems at all.  Sure my left thumb was a bit soar after prolonged street fighter alpha 2 but that's really it.  I've doen the arcade stick dance many a time and always end up using the pads.  And I guess I'm not the only one since tekken five has a slot for the controller at the arcade.

bluemonkey1

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 3rd, 2006, 6:08 am

Something like VF3tb is impossible to play with the pad though.  I only own 2 sticks myself - Saturn and Dreamcast.

The Dreamcast official one cost me £30 and it is amazing.  It is basicly an arcade front perfectly replicated.

The official Saturn one lacked the weight but was still better than the pad.

You will find more people own home sticks than use pads in the arcades.

The only fighter I found better with pad than stick was Soul Calibur.

sega saturn x

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Postby sega saturn x » July 3rd, 2006, 1:56 pm

You seem to make a lot of basless what "people" do statements, unless if you charts or polls backing your people opinions Just say YOURS.  Don't try and say "people" agree with me.

Return to “Reader Reviews”