Saints Row the Third (PS3)

The readers post their own reviews.
Viper821

Postby Viper821 » December 14th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Saints Row 2 (SR2) was one game that took me by surprise. It had what Grand Theft Auto 4 had forgotten: how to have some fun. When I heard a sequel was coming that promised even crazier, over-the-top game play, I was pumped! Does the game get an A like SR 2? Not even close.

On the surface, Saints Row the Third looks like it's a faithful sequel to SR2. You still have access to large amounts of weapons in a wide open world and it's relatively easy like it should be. As well, the opening has a hilarious Star Wars style introduction that throws you to immediately into action right away but it goes downhill from there.
  • Side missions are a step down from SR2 with no hilarious cut scenes explaining how you ended up doing them. They are almost a complete rehash of SR2 so nothing new and are generally ridiculously easy and quick.
  • Main missions are a big step backwards, with most being simple by the numbers missions with a few crazy elements thrown for good measure and the ending just plain sucks, no doubt to make way for downloadable mi$$ions.
  • The city is the worst I've seen. It feels dull, lifeless and due to the 'poor planning' is very disorienting. Almost no buildings can be entered unlike SR2's huge Police Station, Airport and Mall and the few that can be (outside of cribs and ownable stores) are a blatant ripoff of GTA games.
  • While SR2 is great even with subpar graphics and sound, this game is even worse with numerous glitches and a poor selection of music.
  • You can no longer replay old missions, possibly one of SR2's best features. Why was it taken out?
  • Main characters act and look completely different than SR2 and no Johnny Gat except for the opening mission!

It appears most of the budget was spent on marketing and buying off reviewers as it looks like a 2006 release. Having been tough on it though I must admit this game gets an A in allowing you to become a God and go absolutely nuts after the story is completed. This does get old quick and it's too bad the rest of the game isn't that good because this had the potential to be a classic. As it stands now it's another in a long line of mediocre GTA clones. Maybe next time!

Score: B-

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 14th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Nice review.  That sucks to hear it doesn't live up to the previous game.  Saints Row 2 was easily one of my favorite games of this generation.  

I guess I will wait for this to come down in price to like $20 and then give it a go.  It doesn't sound like something I need to get asap. 

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 14th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Crap, I ended up buying this as a gift for my brother-in-law.  I thought he might like the over the top action as the second got rave reviews.  

Maybe, I'll just tell him to exchange it for Battlefield 3 or Modern Combat instead.  Those are his types of games anyways, I just didn't know which one to get him.

Thanks for the reviews.

Return to “Reader Reviews”