Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

The readers post their own reviews.
Stephen

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Stephen » January 24th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Oh yeah, this one is bad!

I recall reading a Magazine and seeing this game, hearing all the hype. Well the hype is all there is to offer! Upon starting the game you see a BEAUTIFUL introl, looks great. You create your save state turn it on and BAM! It all goes downhill. First off the controls absolutely suck! A game like this is not suited for a D-Pad. Making quick movements impossible. Next off, the turn based combat is absolutely terrible, first off, it's extremely difficult, you always die before your enemies do. It's boring, unsatifisieng, and just slows the game down, the whole thing is just choppy. The graphics, while rendered in 3D, are grainy and suck. The music is forgettable (apologies to the forest theme), and usually annoying. Invisible blocks are everywhere and just a pain to find, due to the bad controls. Going in a pipe is difficult, the game is too long and is a chore, and it just makes you wonder why this wasn't moved to the N64. Compared to the later Mario RPG's (Mario and Luigi Series, Paper Mario (original, N64, 2001) and Thousand Year Door (Gamcube, 2003)) This is PATHETIC. At least Sonic 3D blast (Genesis, 1996) ran SMOOTHER. Powerups suck, teamates worthless, and absoulutely bad combat system ruins it. Leave this one for the rats.

D-

oldschoolgamer

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby oldschoolgamer » January 24th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Graphics are absolutely stunning for a SNES game.  The game is well suited for the D-pad since it isn't an action game.  I don't know why you are complaining about the framerate since I never noticed a problem.  I also don't know what your issue with the music is.  Paper Mario was originally titled Super Mario RPG 2, but the name was changed due to licensing issues after Nintendo and Square had their falling out.  Super Mario RPG doesn't rewrite the book on RPGs, but it does combine a major license with solid gameplay, and killer graphics.  Its a B+/A-.

JWK1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby JWK1 » January 24th, 2012, 11:41 pm

That you've made it your mission to troll the SNES on this site is a little concerning.  That's the only logical conclusion to come to, as I can't think of anyone else who honestly thinks that Sonic 3D Blast is a better game than Super Mario RPG.

Silver_Fox1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Silver_Fox1 » January 25th, 2012, 1:17 am

Not sure what game the reviewer was playing? I suggest a bit more practice or a guide.

Oltobaz1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 25th, 2012, 2:28 am

Stop your anti SNES crusade. The 16 Bits war is over -gamers who had both systems won it- and bashing one of the best RPGs of its era isn't gonna grant you the recognition you're so craving.

SNESfreak

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby SNESfreak » January 25th, 2012, 11:47 am

I find it kind of ironic that after I reviewed Super Star Wars (which is for the same system and I perhaps overrated it a little with my final score at the end) someone wrote another review about a similarly outstanding game and come down all BRUTAL on it .

I'm not sure if you either just dislike RPGs naturally or were trying to go on a bit of conspiracy theory with this one but I found the way you described this game to be very in-acurrate and often completely bogus (like when you started to complain about the frame rate, did you realise that it was actually impossible to play this game on PAL televisions at the time because of the frame rate being too advanced?).

stephen

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby stephen » January 25th, 2012, 5:43 pm

I've never said theSuper Nintendo was BAD. This GAME however IS bad. Absolutely terrible. Maybe if they had moved the project to the N64 with enhanced graphics, smoother controls and better GAMEPLAY, it would be good. And sonic 3d blast is not bad, not perfect, but not bad. Mario RPG is just a joke. Also, the animation is choppy, not the frame-rate. Nintendo should be ASHAMED for this game.

Greisha1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Greisha1 » January 25th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Huh?

MoonMetropolis

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby MoonMetropolis » January 25th, 2012, 8:24 pm

You cannot be serious.  I hope you're trolling because, if not, this review is astonishingly ignorant.  "Quick movements"?  You don't NEED quick movements.  All of the combat is turn-based, and, unless you absolutely suck, the game shouldn't be very difficult except for the last boss.  The graphics are some of the best ever seen on the SNES.  If you think this game is too hard, you're obviously just horrible at video games in general and shouldn't be playing classic games like this.  This game was designed for people who had never played RPGs before, and it works perfectly.  Super Mario RPG is unquestionably one of the greatest games ever made.

What a ridiculous review.

Stephen

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Stephen » January 25th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Huh?/QUOTE]

I never said the SNES was bad, this game is just boring, I'm a champ at Paper Mario, but this game sucks. We all have opinions people. The critic gave F-Zero a negative review, you don't call him a bad reviewer.
I bet if this game didn't have the mario license, it would be forgotten!
Soooo overrated!

Return to “Reader Reviews”