Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

The readers post their own reviews.
Silver_Fox1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Silver_Fox1 » January 27th, 2012, 1:14 pm

[QUOTE=PSX][QUOTE=Stephen]I bet if this game didn't have the mario license, it would be forgotten![/QUOTE]<div><br></div><div>Stephen, I think your review is completely off base and displays your complete lack of understanding of the traditional mechanics of a RPG with turn-based battles.  ....That being said, I completely agree with your quote here.  Remove Mario from Super Mario RPG and I don't think we'd still be talking about it much today.  As an RPG it is pretty simplistic and by-the-book.  It does not do anything poorly, but it also doesn't blow you away like a Final Fantasy game either.  What makes it a classic game that people have fond memories of is the fact that it incorporated beloved Mario characters into a Square-developed RPG world.  I enjoy the game a lot (I'm actually playing through it now on the Wii VC), but without Mario I don't think we'd remember it much.  For that reason, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it "unquestionably one of the greatest games ever made", as Moon did... I'm more inclined to agree with oldschoolgamer's take on it.</div>[/QUOTE]Sorry for a double post, but I must disagree with this comment. I remember this game for being a well-designed rpg, with great graphics and non-boring rpg elements. NOT because of the Mario license. I am not a huge fan of the Mario franchise but I do have history with it, and respect it.

This game had an action-rpg feel and tried to simplify and enhance the typical, boring, turn-based rpgs of the time. It's one of the first turn-based rpgs that incorporated timing-based button presses in the battles. Maybe the reviewer didn't realize this gameplay element and thats why he sucks at it?

Just because it had the Mario universe is not why it's a great game and why people have fond memories of it. What about Earthbound? I don't remember that game having any Mario characters in it? People love it because it was an innovative and fun game, period. Not because of Mario.

MoonMetropolis

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby MoonMetropolis » January 30th, 2012, 3:30 am

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox][QUOTE=stephen]The SNES port of Shaq fu was better than the genesis game though[/QUOTE] Congratulations on making me have a good laugh. I see what he is trying to do here. Let's compare the ports of Rise Of The Robots and Last Action Hero...[/QUOTE]
While we're at it, we should totally compare the different versions of Action 52.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm partial to the Genesis version myself.

oldschoolgamer

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby oldschoolgamer » January 30th, 2012, 1:57 pm

Regarding Shaq Fu, I've heard the best version was the sega cd one.

Edward1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Edward1 » February 4th, 2012, 1:41 am

I pretty confident this guy is a troll.   There are some legitimate complaints people can have with Mario RPG.  The isometric perspective can make the platforming very tough at times. Also the sunken ship level was pretty terrible.  But overall, those are minor things. The game has excellent writing and characters, fun turn based combat, great levels, and even some neat many games.   Overall its just a joy ton play, and was a great sendoff of the Super Nintendo.   The complaints this guy has of the game seem weird.  He complains about the battles being too hard.   However, outside of one hidden boss, this game has very easy combat.   I dont understand his complaints about the graphics,  few games on the SNES look better.

I know many people here have different opinions on games.   This guy just seems to be trying to get a rise out of people.

Glitchologteam1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Glitchologteam1 » April 6th, 2012, 6:06 pm

super mario rpg is good but far from a awsome game. The frustation level is 100% and this make me want to throw the cartridge in the garbage (or sell it on ebay since its rare)

Dynamo1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Dynamo1 » April 7th, 2012, 3:51 am

I'm not exactly sure why everyone is getting so mad at a simple review, it's best to just ignore these things.

Since Link to the past was brought up however, I'd like to mention the controls are detestable and the music is mostly annoying. Other than that it's a fine game, and so is Yoshi's Island which is one of my favourites for the SNES. Regarding Super Bonk, not many people know but there actually was a Super Bonk 2 released only in Japan that dramatically improved over its predecessor.

Suplexmachine1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Suplexmachine1 » April 23rd, 2012, 1:03 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I cannot even come close to thinking this is a good review.  I feel most of the complaints in the review are unwarranted.  For some reason the reviewer is seeing the good points in the game as negative points instead.

Atarifever1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Atarifever1 » April 24th, 2012, 11:02 am

Anyone here from way back in the day remembers that I am a Genesis guy, and am not a big fan of the clunky, slow SNES in comparison.  However, when asked what my favorite game is, here is the answer I give these days (and I think probably will for all of time):

My favorite game is actually a four way tie:
1) Robotron 2084
2) Sonic 2
3) Portal
4) Super Mario RPG

I don't like the SNES much at all, but this game is fantastic.  Absolutely, unquestionably fantastic.  If Mario weren't in this game it'd be a fantastic game that sadly got overlooked.  Now it is a fantastic game people know about.  The combat is actually fun (because of your minimal input not getting in the way, but also not making it all menu based).  The graphics are charming.  The world is silly.  The dialogue is the same blend of silly and serious that makes Link's Awakening so enjoyable.  The enemy encounters are non-random, and there is interaction with the environment.  The support characters all feel different than each other, and fill roles well.  I could go on. 

This game is Nintendo at its best.  I could not like it more.  A+++

porynog1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby porynog1 » April 28th, 2012, 1:48 pm

lol this guy is trolling don't take it seriously.

Rev1

Super Mario RPG/SNES/D-

Postby Rev1 » April 30th, 2012, 10:39 am

I never understood trolling... Still the game is solid whether you enjoyed it or not. Your post wasn't a real review, it was just saying this game sucks and then making silly claims. Saying that the game was hard is ridiculous. It is one of the easiest RPGs from the period and had an intuitive and fun combat system. I admit the layout of the game took me a while to get used to (everything being sort of diagonal) but it was pretty simple once you figured out right + up equals right-up. Who would have guessed? Plus all the characters were valuable to your team (peach the healer and pretty powerful magician, Mario for butt kicking, Crazy doll guy for mixed attacking, cloud dude as spellcaster and Bowser for brute strength).

Anyway... troll away I guess.

Return to “Reader Reviews”