Super Nintendo Review

The readers post their own reviews.
Linkdude

Super Nintendo Review

Postby Linkdude » June 29th, 2006, 11:40 pm

So, we're here with a Super Nintendo review from me, Linkdude. Let's get started.

The controller feels really good and has standard L and R shoulder buttons and Y, X, A, and B buttons. The Select and Start buttons feel awkward the first time, but they're not a big deal. The console is very easy to carry from one place to another, so it's not really heavy. If you didn't know, there were two SNES consoles. I had the other one that didn't have the eject button that pops out your cartridge.

The game lineup for the Super Nintendo did well, but lots of ports to Nintendo's console didn't do well. Mortal Kombat 1 was known for this as people were disappointed about no blood in the SNES version. Instead, they bought the Genesis version and used the blood code. MK2 finally relieved the fans' hearts as it showed blood on both the Genesis and SNES versions, without a code. Street Fighter 2 was another game that people wanted a SNES for. It was almost the same as the arcade version, delivering the best fighting action next to Mortal Kombat. RPGs like Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars were one of the best RPGs made for the SNES. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was hailed as one of the best games ever made for the SNES. With an excellent save feature after you die, there was no frustration as you could enjoy the game. Chrono Trigger was another excellent favorite for the SNES's RPG collection. Sports games like NBA Live 96 and NBA Jam were very popular for the SNES, so people turned to it for sports games.

The sound/music were highlights for the Super Nintendo. The SNES could provide many perfect songs and great sound effects for all games. Heck, even the music in the Super Star Wars series was even sounding like the movie's soundtrack! The Genesis was provided with cheesy or MIDI music for its system while Nintendo was #1 for the music and sound.

Finally, the graphics for SNES games were excellent. While the Genesis looked great too, the SNES inched out the Genesis. Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong games were the best looking ones, with colorful graphics. Star Fox was known as a huge great looking one for fans. With 3D polygon graphics, you could just say "Wow!"

Overall: The SNES is still great, even today. If you see a SNES, don't hesitate-- buy it! I know mine still works, and I still play mine to this day as well. Grade: A

JustLikeHeaven1

Super Nintendo Review

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 30th, 2006, 11:44 am

[QUOTE=Linkdude]

The Genesis was provided with cheesy or MIDI music for its system while Nintendo was #1 for the music and sound.

Finally, the graphics for SNES games were excellent. While the Genesis looked great too, the SNES inched out the Genesis.

[/QUOTE]

Nice job with the review Linkdude.

I would like to add a few things to it though... I think many people on this site would tend to disagree that the SNES had better music.  Surely it had the capabilities, but the Genesis is home to some of the greatest videogame music ever!

Its also worth noting that while the SNES games had better colors and the graphics were an overall step up from the Genesis, but many a SNES game suffered from slowdown.  The Genesis handled frentic games much better than the SNES.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Super Nintendo Review

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 30th, 2006, 11:56 am

Following on to JustLikeHeaven's comment about the music, I think the SNES was capable of better music (withness Street Fighter 2), but the developers for the Genesis seemed to put more effort into it.  Few SNES games can match the themes of Sonic the Hedgehog, Thunder Force 3, Gaires, or even Madden 92. 

Johnson73

Super Nintendo Review

Postby Johnson73 » June 30th, 2006, 3:03 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Following on to JustLikeHeaven's comment about the music, I think the SNES was capable of better music (withness Street Fighter 2), but the developers for the Genesis seemed to put more effort into it.  Few SNES games can match the themes of Sonic the Hedgehog, Thunder Force 3, Gaires, or even Madden 92. 
[/QUOTE]

But few games for any system can match the soundtracks of RPGs such as Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, or Lufia II.

Alienblue

Super Nintendo Review

Postby Alienblue » June 30th, 2006, 6:18 pm

I have both the Genesis and Super NES and love them EQUALLY!

Genesis....as noted, more original game ideas. A coolness factor that can't be denied, better/more comftorble controls (with the 6 button pads), and overall superior library of games and in the end, the best SHOOT EM UP system ever (except possibly the TG-16)

SNES...Far better 16 bit technology. The colors really pop out at you with direct audio/video connections (very hard to find that Genny DIN cable and the "new" Genny is RF only!)...a gaming heaven for Mario fans with Super Mario World and Yoshis Island AND SMB all stars! BEAUTIFUL color and Audio (anyone think Genesis is superior needs to play ACTRAISER! The Pounding Audio and incredible colors and animation are superb!)...like 5200 and Colecovision, both had good games and I WANT THEM BOTH!

a1

Super Nintendo Review

Postby a1 » July 1st, 2006, 2:54 am

If you guys want to hear the difference in sound between an SNES and a Genesis, just get Aladdin for both systems. They are different games, and the Genesis version sounds much better. Maybe developers just put more effort into sound on the SNES, but I think it was also more capable in that area.

a1

Super Nintendo Review

Postby a1 » July 2nd, 2006, 3:15 am

As long as you're talking about the Genesis 3. I have a couple questions about newer versions of consoles. I have the original top-loader NES, a Genesis 3, the smaller, newer version of the SNES, and the slim PS2. I know that the top-loader NES works better than the original version, from personal experience, but I was wondering if the same is true with the others.

Sorry for straying off-topic.

Quiet Flight

Super Nintendo Review

Postby Quiet Flight » July 2nd, 2006, 11:28 am

The NES top loader just corrected a design flaw of the toaster NES. Games have a much better chance of getting in good contact with the contacts and starting on the first time. The new SNES is just better looking. The same could be said for the Genesis 3 over the other 2. I prefer the Genesis 2 looks wise plus you could still put in the 32x and Sega CD. I don't think the Genesis 3 surrports any of the add ons.

Return to “Reader Reviews”