2008/4/10: GameCube: Star Fox Adventures, Super Smash Bros. Melee

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Crimefighter

2008/4/10: GameCube: Star Fox Adventures, Super Smash Bros. Melee

Postby Crimefighter » September 8th, 2008, 8:23 pm

Really he's right, you ranking it as one of the worst Gamecube games ever was ridiculous and absurd. 

VicViper

Re: 2008/4/10: GameCube: Star Fox Adventures, Super Smash Bros. Melee

Postby VicViper » July 22nd, 2018, 11:32 am

On the one hand, SF Adventures isn't bad at all for what it is, it's just overrated and has a lot of missed potential.
The core game is fine, but that's it, "fine". If I'm trying to be as objective as possible, I'd give it a C+.

On the other hand, as a fan of Star Fox I hate it, it has some critical plot holes and inconsistencies (even in its own plot, not just with Star Fox as a whole), and doesn't respect its own characters, to the point where Fox ends up becoming a completely different character.
To point out one inconsistency with Fox, Nintendo had made a canonical manga tie-in for the Japanese version, and its ending is a reenactement of Fox's first scene in Adventures, except the circumstances and reasons to help Dinosaur Planet are wildly different.
Ingame Fox has to be promised a ton of money from General Pepper to do his job, acts like an impatient & rude asshole during the adventure, to the point where he yells & threatens a kid Dinosaur, and when he thinks he's done with his job and is told there's one more step, there's a scene where you could see by his disappointment that he's only doing it for money and that if it wasn't on the line, he'd leave the planet to its fate.
Also, getting his freak on in front of Krystal unconscious in her crystal prison. Enough said.
Manga Fox's is mostly incredibly bored due to a lack of action (the bankrupt part is there, but the story mainly puts a bigger emphasis on the "bored" part), passes next to the planet without being called, and decides to check it out on his own, even without being promised anything.
One acts selfishly, the other has both ends of the spectrum covered.
I hate Krystal, I hate that General Scales' "fight" is a total cop-out, I hate the fact that Andross is here without any logical explanation, I hate the inclusion of magical elements in a universe that, outside of this game, is purely science-fiction, I hate Tricky, I hate Pepper's stupid explanation on why you can't use a blaster and based on uncharacteristic assumptions on Fox (even though you use your ship plenty of times, and you're a freaking advanced bipedal creature with clothes from a different millennia speaking a different language!), and I hate that they pushed the Star Fox license on this game, I think actually worsened the results.

It might sound stupid that I hate a Star Fox game for the story & characters of all things, but it's not like the gameplay was great either; too many puzzles that require the same item (freaking flamethrower), long backtrackings (even though you have a ship, but nope! Let's not use it effectively otherwise you might scare the dinosaurs!), and combat is both an absolute joke and tedious.

That said I'm surprised that in the Star Fox Assault review, you mention that Adventures got "Tepid reviews", because it's like the 2nd best received game overall in the series, at least at the time. There are even fans of this game that wish the rest of the Star Fox games would just give up the shoot'em up gameplay just to get an "Adventures 2".

Return to “Review Feedback”