2012/12/22: Xbox 360: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Skylanders Giants

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
DJC1

Postby DJC1 » December 23rd, 2012, 8:38 am

"If anyone has any suggestions about what I can do to fix this, let me know."

Add meta cache tags to the top of each page.  That should help.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

-DJ

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2012, 3:29 pm

Thanks DJC!  I'll give it a try.

MooTheKow1

Postby MooTheKow1 » December 23rd, 2012, 11:17 pm

Which mission in Black Ops 2 did you have a problem with?  I ran into a situation where I had to start over in the mission where you're going after the guy where you end up killing his daughter or something like that.  Got stuck in a courtyard where I was apparently supposed to climb a tower and sniper everyone - but didn't do that at first and afterwards even though i'd ended up killing everyone it didn't trigger whatever needed to be triggered to open the next area.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » December 24th, 2012, 6:10 am

gonna play black ops 2 later... so will tell you what I think...
for me Halo 4 is an A+, superb much better that I was expecting... what NO review of the spartan ops part... it is the best bit of the game... superb co op fun... fluid.... and I played 3 player...

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » December 26th, 2012, 11:28 am

Great reviews.  Skylanders reminds me a lot of the failed Mattel Hyperscan system, which paired collectible trading cards with video games.  Anyone remember that awful thing?  It piggybacked on the tail-end of the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh craze in the mid-2000s by selling trading card packs that were then scanned into the system's memory for use with the games.  For example, there was an X-Men fighting game and you would buy card packs specifically for that game, and the cards in the pack might contain new characters to use in the game or new power-ups, and the cards "unlock" those items in the game when scanned into the system.  Same concept as Skylanders, but the Hyperscan came out a few years prior (around 2006).  Unlike Skylanders though, Hyperscan was a complete failure. I've played the games and can attest that they're all absolutely horrible (actually worse and more unplayable than most CD-i games), so that probably didn't help matters.  There were only like 5 games released, so a set is pretty cheap on eBay and only the late-released Spider-Man game is slightly pricey.  The system sold so poorly that now, 5 years after it was discontinued, I still sometimes see the old card packs selling in Walmart's clearance aisle.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 27th, 2012, 2:55 pm

I'm conflicted with Halo 4.

The campaign is Aces all the way.  It pays homage to past Halo games and adds a few new novelties to spice things up.

The multiplayer on the other hand is a C grade at best.  It's fine for single screen gaming online multiplayer.  But if you want LAN gaming or split screen it's terrible.  You can't setup custom games with a shared unlock pool of specializations for more than one tv.  The best you can do is the stock ones that come unlocked by default.  And the frame rate is terrible.

Likewise, they launched without a lot of stuff that were in previous Halos in particular the File Share and some sort of decent Firefight.  

The file share is extremely important as it's now incredibly tough to share custom forged maps.  Overall, from a community support perspective, it's God awful.  

Lastly, Spartan Ops may have the absolute best cut scenes in the world but the actual "story" within a mission is completely mediocre and bordering on atrocious. A few missions are fun but for the most part, Season 1 has been terrible.

I feel 343 did a fantastic job on the campaign.  If you take the time to find the terminals in the game you'll be rewarded with some amazing movies on Waypoint that show and explain the whole back story of the flood, forerunners, humans, and precursors.  

Unfortunately, they screwed the pooch on multiplayer.  I'm sure they'll blame Certain Affinity for it, but I actually like the maps.  It's the other crap that sucks, like no longer being able to learn the weapon spawn locations and key control areas.  The game plays like COD or Quake and no longer like Halo.  I miss that.  It's still fun, but it just doesn't feel like Halo anymore.   

I'm sure, in time they'll get things fixed and come up with a title update but it's still annoying when they keep announcing DLC instead of focusing on the stuff that's missing.

B grade or less is fine with me.

Shogun1

Postby Shogun1 » December 27th, 2012, 9:24 pm

I'd like to see your opinions on the Call of Duty ports for the Wii. Just to get your opinion on the controls. Just for something different. It would be interesting to see how the Wii ports compare to the HD ports.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » December 28th, 2012, 8:01 am

As a largely casual observer of the Halo series (I have all the games, but never really got into them), I get the impression that Halo 4 is 'solid Halo action and quality' and that is both its greatest and weakest strength.

I find it interesting that Halo fans seem to constantly debate about which game has the best MP.  But I suppose it's like me and the Battle Arena Toshinden series; allot of casuals would say each game in the series is the same, but fans can see the differences.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » December 29th, 2012, 5:55 am

I'm sure Halo 4 and CoD: Black Ops 2 are good games. No doubt the upcoming Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 and Battlefield 4 will be excellent games. However, just like the Critic, I'm getting a little tired of this sort of games. I'm really longing to see some originality!

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 29th, 2012, 11:50 am

Captain Crunch-Far Cry 3 isn't upcoming, it got released earlier this month.

Anyways I don't mind all these sequels, as long as they're fun i'll never get tired of them. 

Return to “Review Feedback”