Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii console reviews

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 29th, 2012, 4:49 pm

I finally got around to writing these!

Agree or disagree with them?  Post your thoughts.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » December 29th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Yeah I agree with the reviews, about right for the rating of the games. The Wii was certainly the best when it came to first party games and platformers, but the 360 was probably the best all around console. The PS3 isn't bad at all and is quite good, but should have started a lot better than it actually did.

Oh well, there's always the next generation.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » December 29th, 2012, 6:33 pm

I actually agree with a lot of what you say.   I own all three and have spent extensive time with them.   Here's my comments.

Wii Review -  This review seems pretty on the spot.  I actually liked the appearance of it thought and would have given it a B+.  I just like how small it is.  The wii overall was a unique system with awesome first party games, and lots of third party shovelware.   This review seemed to get that point across that this system didn't live up to its potential.

Xbox 360 -  I agree with most of this review (I think reliability may need an F-  thought) The 360 is an awesome, but completely unreliable system.  However, you might want to mention this system was the first system to play streaming video (Netflix Hulu, etc) and introduced the gamerscore. Also I would lower the collectability score, and mention that this system introduced the terrible "Online pass" system and one time use DLC codes.  This will make it much harder for collectors in the future when servers are shut down.   Same for PS3.

PS3 -  I can understand your issues with this system.  This system can have huge updates all time.  You can never just "plug and play" this system.  I agree the controllers were a let down. The move was also a total bust.  It was also very expensive when it came out.  However, I would argue its a good value now. For the last few years, it has typically sold at about the same price as the 360.  However considering its far more reliable and includes a Blu Ray player, its a better deal if you're not interested in Kinect. I don't understand why you gave it such a low score for games.  It has some amazing first party games (Motorstorm, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Infamous) and also receives most multiplatform games.  Occasionally the multiplatform games can be much worse than 360 (Skyrim is the clear example), however they holds up for the most part.    I would say its game library is far better than the average console, so probably deserves better than a C.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 29th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Great reviews, BTW, am I the only who still uses a wired controller for the 360?  I have seriously never once had the desire to use a wireless controller.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 29th, 2012, 7:57 pm

I used to feel just the same way. Even bought a wired controller the day I bought my Xbox 360 six years ago. Then I tried the included wireless controller and quickly became a convert.

Modern wireless controllers are a great thing.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » December 30th, 2012, 12:23 am

BTW: There is no link to the Wii console review from the Wii page main menu.

Anyway, on to the reviews!

I completely agree with the Wii and 360 reviews. As for collectible nature of the PS3 I think you underscored the system (as well as the packaging). I think that the PS3 cases are some of the best cases ever used for a game console. They are strong, durable, small, and fit the overall sleek look of the console. Unlike the ugly white and green packaging for the other 2 consoles, the PS3 cases are great. Also, the game discs are much sturdier due to their use of Blue Ray making them an ideal system for collectors. It is much easier to find a used PS3 game in like new condition vs. a 360 or Wii game where there are usually scratches all along the disc.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » December 30th, 2012, 12:24 am

Ya know, I don't even think that it was the Wii's graphical performance that shortened its life. I think it was more because the vast majority of the "good third-party games" did not sell well, which made developers lose interest in it. I mean, take a look at a good exclusive fighting game like "Tatsunoko vs Capcom," sure most of us have never heard of Tatsunoko, but nevertheless this was a very good game! But how many people bought it? The same goes for "Sin and Punishment: Star Successor," it was an excellent game (my personal fav on the system), but again not many people bought it, let alone heard of it - only us gaming nerds 'in the know' picked it up. Then there's also "The Conduit" and "Conduit 2," "Muramasa," and on and on... Nintendo did absolutely NOTHING to help their third-party developers market and sell their games. Look at their "Nintendo Selects" line of best sellers, they are all first-party! All the other consoles have their "Greatests Hits" and "Platinum Hits." But what about the Wii - what happened to their "Player's Choice" line from Gamecube?? 

As for the 360 review, I mostly agree but would argue that it's not fair to give their reliability an F when they've greatly improved over time. All motherboard revisions since the "Jasper" chip have proven to be very reliable. And if someone were to walk in to a store today to buy one they shouldn't need to worry about the reliability. A 'D' seems warranted, but not an F 

Also, the PS Move gets mentioned as a basic rip-off of the Wii, but Kinect received no mention of its likeness to the PS2 Eyetoy?? Critic, check out "Wonderbook: Book of Spells." PS Move is an extremely underrated piece of hardware. It's just a shame Sony doesn't know how to market it. In conjunction with the PS Eye, it blows away anything the Wii could ever do. 

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » December 30th, 2012, 4:27 am

Personally, I don't think the Xbox360 was quite as unreliable as was claimed. This gen of consoles is the first time the internet is widely available for, which raises the likely hood of tall tales.

Also, the PS3 had it's own mini reliability issue with the YLOD. The Wii had nothing like the RROD or YLOD, therefore the PS3's reliability should not be B+ to the Wii's B and Xbox360's F, IMO.

I also think the reviews need some clarification with regards to backward compatibility:

All models of the PS3 are compatible with 99.9% of PS1 games, however only early models of the PS3 were backward compat with the PS2 and were 99.9% compatible again. PS2 compatibility was handled with a copy of the PS2 hardware that was later removed to cut down costs of the PS3 (Sony removed some other non-game related features as well); there was much moaning about Sony removing this feature back in the day.

All Xbox360's feature backward compat with Xbox games, however it is done via emulation and hence many Xbox games don't work or work that well; obviously many do though. MS enhanced the emulation for several years after the 360's launch, but ultimately abandoned it.

The Wii has backward compat for Game Cube games.

Personal opinion is that backward compat is only really wanted by the majority while there aren't many games released for the new system and they are expensive; now days you hear next to no discussion about backward compat on any of the current gen systems.

stika1

Postby stika1 » December 30th, 2012, 8:38 am

[QUOTE=Edward]I

Xbox 360 -  I agree with most of this review (I think reliability may need an F-  thought) The 360 is an awesome, but completely unreliable system.  However, you might want to mention this system was the first system to play streaming video (Netflix Hulu, etc) and introduced the gamerscore. Also I would lower the collectability score, and mention that this system introduced the terrible "Online pass" system and one time use DLC codes.  This will make it much harder for collectors in the future when servers are shut down.   Same for PS3.

[/QUOTE]
That's not true, the 360 was not the system to introduce the online Pass, in fact, none of Microsoft's first party games do this

to my knowledge EA was the company that introduced this, and Sony is the only console manufacturer that uses online passes

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » December 30th, 2012, 11:25 am

They were excellent reviews. I'm glad to see someone expose the Wii for the piece of garbage that it is. It was a disgrace to video games and had the dubious distinction of making the Gamecube look good. It's the only system I've ever owned that I had no interest whatsoever in playing any of its games. How many more generations is Nintendo going to push this "cute" crap. The Wii U already looks like another disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if 7 years from now the VGC gives the Wii U identical scores. Obviously, the 360 easily won this horse race. I was the most excited about games from this system. The A- for games could've easily been an A. The ps3 I think is underrated. They've cranked out some great sports games and fps, although admittedly fps aren't my cup of tea (or modern fps for that matter). And they have some great years left ahead of them where they can really make their mark on the industry and change people's perceptions of the system. As the years go by, we'll start to forget or possibly forgive them for the horrible launch.

Return to “Review Feedback”