2013/1/19: Playstation 3: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
stika1

Postby stika1 » January 20th, 2013, 7:37 am

[QUOTE=crimefighter]Well if you wanna go by PS franchises...Lara Croft should had been in there...[/QUOTE]

Actually, the first Tomb Raider started out as a Saturn exclusive.

Moreover every Tomb Raider game was released for the PS1 and PC simultaneously

Noah981

Postby Noah981 » January 20th, 2013, 8:23 am

I thought the review score was way too low, but I love the reviews on this site, so I'm not complaining ☺

I know the review mentioned that the critic wasn't thrilled with having to use the right stick to throw.  Actually, that can be changed to a button in the options.  You can enable arcade stick mode, which assumes that your arcade stick doesn't have a right stick.  This is great because many people would love to play Smash Brothers and other clones like TMNT: Smash up with a sturdy arcade style joystick.

This is the best party style fighting game that I have ever played, with the possible exception of Smash Brothers.  TMNT was on the right track, but lacked severely in content and balance.  I see nothing wrong with creating a game that follows a successful formula.  We don't call Tekken a Virtua Fighter clone, or Halo a castle Wolfenstein clone, so why are we so harsh when it comes to Mario Kart and Smash Brothers?

Although Sony lacks in mascot friendly characters, they still have some memorable original creations (although Sega could probably come closer to matching Nintendo).  They tried to get Crash and Spyro, but Activision didn't cooperate.  The studio is still trying to get those characters as paid DLC.  Also, two new characters are coming as free DLC on February 12th.

I think this game is great because it has it's own style.  I love Smash Brothers, and this is different enough that I don't feel like I'm playing the same game with different characters.  I like not having to worry about screwing up and falling off the stage, or having another player steal my kills in multiplayer.  I think the fighting engine is fun and deep.

I also like having solid online, something Smash Brothers and TMNT couldn't achieve.  On top of all that, I got the Vita version for free, including all of the DLC costumes.  This is an amazing perk, which should have been mentioned in the review.  The Vita version is nearly identical to the PS3 version, and has cross play.

Anyhow, just my two cents.  I'd give the game an A- since it is a first effort.  A sequel could easily make this a AAA franchise.  Also, Nariko rocks and PS4 needs Heavenly Sword 2!

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 20th, 2013, 11:27 am

I liked the review overall but I think a few extra sentences explaining the difference between this and super smash Bros would go a long way in the review. You spent half the review discussing the different characters and didn't really put many sentences explaining how to win a match. You said it was a free for all fighting game but is the point to ring out your opponents like smash bros? Do you deplete their life bar like other fighting games? How do you do that? I really still don't know that much about the game and what separates this from other fighters.  I hear you are suppose to use special moves to finish off your opponent but there was no mention of that in the review. I'm not saying you should answer all of these questions but maybe one or two sentences that explain more about the actual purpose of the game might be more helpful then the list of all the fighters in the game. Either way, good review.

mrmatthew19991

Postby mrmatthew19991 » January 20th, 2013, 2:44 pm

I'm sorry, but it is little big planet, not world. You really need to review the sequel to that.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » January 20th, 2013, 10:31 pm

it looks terrible but I would pay for a game where you could make politicians beat each other up.... Bush vs Cameron vs Obooma... as Oby is still the Presy of America... he gets an extra cannon... hence the obooma joke...

Calysma1

Postby Calysma1 » January 21st, 2013, 6:49 am

In addition to Crash and Spyro, another conspicuous absence from Battle Royale is Snake (from the Metal Gear series). So what if he's already in Smash Bros, IMO he's far more closely tied to PlayStation than Nintendo—and the game already features Raiden (from Metal Gear Solid 2 and also the upcoming Metal Gear Rising), which makes Snake's omission even more puzzling.
[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]it looks terrible but I would pay for a game where you could make politicians beat each other up.... Bush vs Cameron vs Obooma... as Oby is still the Presy of America... he gets an extra cannon... hence the obooma joke...[/QUOTE]
While it's not a fighting game, EA Sports' NBA Jam remake from 2010 has unlockable Democratic and Republican Party teams—Bush (George W.), Cheney, McCain and Palin on the Republican team and Obama, Biden, Gore and the Clintons (Bill and Hillary) on the Democratic team.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » January 21st, 2013, 8:45 am

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]it looks terrible but I would pay for a game where you could make politicians beat each other up.... Bush vs Cameron vs Obooma... as Oby is still the Presy of America... he gets an extra cannon... hence the obooma joke...[/QUOTE]

You mean something like this?

[video]http://youtu.be/9V_AmvML3SU[/video]

stika1

Postby stika1 » January 21st, 2013, 2:38 pm

actually there's a game like that for PC

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=105367625

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 22nd, 2013, 11:08 am

I can't believe there is a game like that, lol. I wonder if it's any good.

In regards to Snake, there might be a funky deal with Nintendo that prevents Snake from appearing in similar games or something. I would have thought Snake would be in All Stars as well, since he is more of a Sony character.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » February 2nd, 2013, 3:53 pm

I think Sega should do this. I mean, think about it. So many franchises worth digging up. You could have Ryu from Shemue (I think that's his name, I haven't played Shenmue in 4 years) Alex Kidd, Shinobi, Opa Opa from Fantasy Zone. The Chu's from Chu Chu rocket, Elliot from blue stinger, a couple of characters from Gain Ground, maybe a zombie or two from house of the dead, characters from Jet Grind radio (all of them), Ooga Booga, and of course, all of the sonic characters. And don't make the fighting system boring like in this game!

Return to “Review Feedback”