Return of the Typo Thread!

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
scotland171

Postby scotland171 » March 29th, 2014, 6:48 pm

The Great and Powerful Apple Corporation has decreed that 'disc' is for optical media, and 'disk' for magnetic.   Phooey on them. 

'Disk' and 'Disc' are both are commonly used for things that are round and flat, and often but not always spin.  Back when there were DJs on the radio spinning little vinyl round things, they were Disc Jockeys.  The things in your spine are discs.  Your  brakes are disc brakes.  Frisbees are plastic discs. Back in the 70s, magnetic storage devices were sometimes called 'discs' too.  So, before the invention of the floppy 'disk', it was always pretty much 'disc'.   Then it switched to 'disk', short for 'diskette' for our floppy disks.  When hard drives came to be, which are a set of platters, they too were called disks.  When music CDs came out, they were called Compact Discs.  While Apple has a good deal of technology authority, I don't they can just declare 'disc' is reserved for optical, and 'disk' is for magnetic.  Seems like 'disk' is just a newer word, making hesitant steps to dethrone 'disc' in the our amazing and expanding language.  Decades from now, 'disk' may be the default spelling.

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » April 14th, 2014, 12:52 am

I would put a money bag icon on Contra 3 - SNES.  Last few years I've had the ability to play SNES games I can't get this cart for a reasonable price.  A boxed copy being sold at MGC cost $100!!!  Loose, $50.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » April 14th, 2014, 1:21 am

Contra 3 is  50 dollars. That's not uber expensive, nor is it rare.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 14th, 2014, 8:10 am

I wouldn't really consider the game as rare or pricy as many other snes games. There are plenty of SNES games where a loose cartridge costs well over $100. There are a lot more SNES games in the $50 bracket these days.

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » April 14th, 2014, 11:13 pm

Well go to a gaming convention and into the vendor area - usually Contra 3 is among the highest priced carts. Zelda 3 for instance was half the price Contra 3 is.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » April 15th, 2014, 11:14 am

In Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (line 9):
..., which is foreshadowing device... (should be "is a")

In NHL 95 (2nd to last line):
I'll give credit NHL 95 credit.... (first "credit" should be deleted)

In Sea Wolf/Missile from Astrocade (line 7):
....., and after depleting your ammo you shooting is briefly suspended... (should be "your")

Also in Sea Wolf/Missile (2nd to last line):
...., and and I'd recommend 111... (one "and" should be deleted)

In 1Xtreme for Playstation (2nd to last line):
..... with enemies that tend to sling-shotting past you... (should be "sling-shot")

In 2Xtreme (line 1):
A learned a valuable life lesson from 2Xtreme. (should be "I")

Also in 2Xtreme (line 6):
Not only there are fewer locations... (should be "are there")

In 3Xtreme (lines 13-14):
One area where 3Xtreme excels in this the performing of tricks. (should be "is")

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 15th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Just caught up on the typos - thanks.

As for the money bag icon - yeah that's a tricky one because so many games are skyrocketing in price.  Still, if you know an obvious candidate, please let me know.

txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » August 14th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Found another one... found it as I was reading the latest Spiderman (SNES) review. In the review just below it (Spiderman/X-Men: Arcade's Revenge), you have the publisher shown as LVN. It's actually LJN, the same makers as the abysmal Spiderman review!

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » October 17th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Some errors on the front page:

- "provacative" (sp),
- the games Tetris 3D (Virtual Boy) and Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) are listed as Coming Attractions, but have already been reviewed.

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » October 18th, 2014, 8:36 am

The first sentence of Intellivision's Super Pro Football review is incomplete.  I am sure the VGC meant to use "was good" or "was great" there.....

And damn, playing a full game of Super Pro takes two hours! 

As I finally took the plunge and acquired an ECS and Super NFL Football I am happy to see that you can change the length of the quarters as noted in this game's review. 

Return to “Review Feedback”