2013/2/13: Commodore 64: Computer Ambush, Jumpman, Jumpman Junior

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2013, 7:21 pm

It's just what you always wanted - a new set of Commodore 64 reviews.
The C-64 Critic wants to read your comments!

BorntoRun1

Postby BorntoRun1 » February 13th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Jumpman is one of my favorite 8-Bit computer-era platformers. It's really addictive, and is just well-balanced and fun. I think Jumpman Junior was actually available in both cartridge and disk. 

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » February 14th, 2013, 7:27 am

Thank you for the Jumpman reviews!!!!

I enjoyed the "dork points" comment....it is dorky (but very satisifying) to see TED listed 20 times on the high score screen.  I think even more credit should be directed at the randomizer option.  When they come up, it allows us less-talented gamers to attempt the higher level (23+) boards that we would probably never get to see in order otherwise.

These are timeless classics with simple yet perfect gameplay that I hope to be playing when I'm sixty years old.  The C-64 Critic got it right......especially about the beer!

LuckyMan1

Postby LuckyMan1 » February 14th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Very nice reviews! I particularly like the last line of your Jumpman Junior review, "...like beer and Rush..." How very true!

Reading these makes me wish I hadn't thrown away my Commodore 128 and a bunch of floppies a few years ago. I know I had Marble Madness and Agent U.S.A. and probably a bunch of others I forgot about in there. I miss those games.

C64_Critic1

Postby C64_Critic1 » February 16th, 2013, 2:03 pm

I have to admit, I really wanted to give Computer Ambush a higher score; it's clearly a labor of love, and there's a very deep game buried under that alphabet soup of an interface.  It still just came down to the fun factor, and the fact that the interface detracted so much from the fun of the game that it literally made me not want to play it anymore.  I was in contact with the original programmer for the game and he comes across as a very passionate and enthusiastic individual, proud of what he was able to accomplish using nothing more than BASIC... and he should be!  If this game had been conceived and written just a few years later, it could have been a seriously awesome title!  Like the Eurythmics of the gaming world, Computer Ambush was a concept that was just too far ahead of it's time.

Jumpman, on the other hand, is pure gaming gold through-and-through. 

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » February 19th, 2013, 10:13 pm

Thanks for the C64 review of computer ambush...got C64 critic to join in. These heavily detailed turn based strategy games ate up lots of my time back in my mispent youth (dungeons and dragons, star fleet battles, etc). Computers could take alot of the drudgery out, but the rules were going to be complex, as was the gameplay. While today the input method seems intolerable, back then it was probably the norm compared to the tabletop variety. Also one could play without a partner, which gave it the edge on tabletops too. I think when released dice throwers and avalon hill gamers would have enjoyed it.

On a funny note, the 'if you like this try' algorithm came up with r-type final for the ps2. can you think of the connection between this and a 3d schmup?

C64_Critic1

Postby C64_Critic1 » February 21st, 2013, 5:05 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17]Thanks for the C64 review of computer ambush...got C64 critic to join in. These heavily detailed turn based strategy games ate up lots of my time back in my mispent youth (dungeons and dragons, star fleet battles, etc). Computers could take alot of the drudgery out, but the rules were going to be complex, as was the gameplay. While today the input method seems intolerable, back then it was probably the norm compared to the tabletop variety. Also one could play without a partner, which gave it the edge on tabletops too. I think when released dice throwers and avalon hill gamers would have enjoyed it. [/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing as I grappled with the interface; that it was probably a Godsend back in the day and well worth any inconvenience and time cost learning the interface, but going back to that these days it just seems archaic. Again, I think the idea was just a wee far ahead of technologies ability to execute it very well.  I give major props to SSI and Ed Willinger for doing what they were able to do given the limitations at the time.

Phoenuss1

Postby Phoenuss1 » March 24th, 2013, 12:21 am

Can we confirm that the ladders breaking apart in Jumpman Junior in "sreddal" was really a glitch? I always thought it was intentional to add to the challenge. 

C64_Critic1

Postby C64_Critic1 » March 31st, 2013, 11:17 am

[QUOTE=Phoenuss]Can we confirm that the ladders breaking apart in Jumpman Junior in "sreddal" was really a glitch? I always thought it was intentional to add to the challenge. [/QUOTE]

I was trying to get a definitive answer prior to the review and was unable to find it documented anywhere that this was intentional.  Considering that it seemed to happen only occasionally (not every time I played the level or even most times I played the level), and that sometimes the ladder sections would actually 'stick' somewhere, I have to assume it's a glitch.  If anyone has contact information for Randy Glover, I'd love to ask him personally though!

Return to “Review Feedback”