2013/3/5: NES: Mega Man, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 5th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Here are the three reworked Mega Man reviews.  Mega Man 4-6 are coming up very soon.

Comments??

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 5th, 2013, 8:16 pm

I pretty much figured the scores before reading the review, I'm looking forward to 4-6 much more since I haven't played them. Your reviews seemed spot on to me. I did like the rush feature of the third game quite a bit but it really did seem like a minimal upgrade when compared to the 2nd. Anyway, thanks for the reviews.

DamonPlus1

Postby DamonPlus1 » March 5th, 2013, 8:24 pm

I find quite surprising you didn't mention the soundtracks, when they are some of the best to be found in the entire Nes library (and even all systems). I agree that there's some graphical break-up in MM3, but I don't find other flaws so important. You can beat the cat without a special weapon if you just shoot and destroy the balls he throws. And the blocks section was present in MM AND MM2 and you didn't mention it. What I'm trying to say is that some of the flaws mentioned in MM3 are present too in MM2 but you seem a bit more permisive with that one.

a1

Postby a1 » March 5th, 2013, 9:55 pm

Wait, the tunes in Mega Man 3 sound like outtakes? The tune for snake man's level is among the best themes on the NES. I personally rank 2 and 3 at about the same level. And I love the snake man level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4eBNmGzI4A

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » March 5th, 2013, 10:58 pm

I completely agree that there M-U-S-T be a mention of the Mega Man 2 soundtrack, which is the most brilliant in the NES library.  I also agree that MM3, while still a good game, definitely felt like it was treated like a sure-fire hit that didn't require as much attention to detail.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » March 6th, 2013, 8:02 am

I used to rent the first Mega Man back in the days, and liked it a lot.  I do remember the game getting very hard after you defeat all the regular bosses.  For Mega-Man 2, I remember pictures of it starting to appear in the magazines just before the release and it looked absolutely amazing.  When I bought it around launch, I found that it lived up to the hype.  The graphics were just about the best I'd seen on the NES.  As the review says, the difficulty was very reasonable, so it's was easy to pick up for repeated play.

As for Mega-Man 3-5, I completely missed them since they came out after the Genesis launch.  With limited funds, I couldn't afford to buy for both systems, and the Gen had a flood of good, arcade-style games coming out.

BTW, I snicker every time I see a mention about "Hard Man."

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 6th, 2013, 9:08 am

Well, my initial reaction is "Mega Man is scored too high and Mega Man 3 is scored too low."  The original *is* a good game, but it's rather simplistic and unrefined.  A C+ seems about appropriate in my humble opinion.  But Mega Man 3 at a B-??  Man, we're of quite different tastes on this one!  First off, I don't know how you can possibly complain about what's shown on the intro screen when the music is *THAT* good.  Seriously, Critic.  Put the game back in your NES and listen to that song for about 5 minutes; it's insane.  In fact, that song is better than anything in Mega Man 2, including the first part of Wily's Castle.  Or go to youtube and listen to bands cover that song.  It's sublime.  The fat cats in Top Man's stage *can* be defeated without a special weapon, it's just annoying.  But is it really more annoying than the frogs in Bubble Man's stage or the giant robot dogs in Wood Man's stage in Mega Man 2 on hard difficulty??  Probably not by much.  We've all heard of bosses and mini-bosses in a stage.  Well, think of the cats, the dogs, or the Snails in Toad Man's stage (MM4) as "Quarter Bosses."  They don't have life bars and it's still in the scrolling part of the stage, but they're tough and it's part of a typical Mega Man game.  Also, concerning the difficulty select, the only game to have one of those was Mega Man 2.  And the only reason MM2 got one was because Capcom was afraid NA gamers would be turned off by the difficulty.  From 3 on, Capcom realized fans of the series embraced the difficulty and they discontinued the practice of giving a difficulty option.  Otherwise, these were very good reviews and I'm happy to have a couple of updates to one of my favorite series.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » March 6th, 2013, 5:07 pm

[QUOTE=a]The tune for snake man's level is among the best themes on the NES.[/QUOTE]
Totally agree. That's my second favorite song on the NES, right behind Castlevania II's Bloody Tears.

Also, the cats in Mega Man 3 aren't all that hard to beat without a special weapon, certainly not impossible. Just time your jumps over the balls of yarn it throws at you and shoot it every time you jump. If your shots are fast enough, you won't even take a hit. 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 7th, 2013, 11:56 am

I love this series so much, I wouldn't be able to pick up a favorite. They have some of the best graphics and sounds the NES has to offer, and they're a blast to play. All time classics.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » March 7th, 2013, 9:10 pm

All 6 games are fantastic. I picked up Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the Gamecube last year and playing through them again felt like re-visiting old friends. I know MM2 is probably the fan favorite but I always enjoyed MM3 much more. Cool stages, the slide feature, awesome music (2nd on Snake Man's theme and also Spark Man and Hard Man!) and re-fighting the MM2 bosses in the "Doc Robot" stages (where's the mention on that in the review)?

Return to “Review Feedback”