2013/3/17: Xbox 360: Dodonpachi Resurrection, Fruit Ninja, Kung-Fu High Impact

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 17th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Let me know what you think about this fresh set of 360 reviews.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » March 17th, 2013, 1:56 pm

The message you got on DoDonPachi about the game being used anywhere but Japan simply means that the set of ROMS the developer of this game chose to use to emulate this were from the set that corresponds to the international or "world" version of the game. It's a common occurrence in shoot em ups (primarily) and other arcade games with wide releases.

stika1

Postby stika1 » March 17th, 2013, 2:02 pm

As someone who loved Deathsmiles to bits I honestly didn't care for DoDonpachi, I'd have rated it a C+ at best, so I agree with your review critic, it's just too much on a small screen

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 17th, 2013, 4:19 pm

stika - I think you're right.  I downgraded it to a C+.

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » March 18th, 2013, 4:07 am

I disagree with your thoughts on DoDonPachi Resurrection since the game offers loads of screen options such as switching from between horizontal or vertical view and you can even stretch out the screen to magnify the view when playing on a standard TV setup; these screen features are on all vertical-shooter releases this generation such as Cave's library, Raiden Fighters Aces, and Raiden IV for the Xbox 360, as well as Under Defeat HD's Arcade mode. I think every company involved in arcade compilations should have these vast amount of screen options. Also, when you throw auto-bombs when your ship is hit is called "Bomb Style", one of the three "Styles" you can choose from before starting the first level; the "Power Style" feature trades in auto-bombs for a more standard, but more powerful playthrough with reduced ship speed and the "Strong Style" incorporates both aspects of the two previous "Styles". I love this game since it's hectic and complex in scoring mechanics and offers local and online leaderboards for all modes, but can understand why gamers might not care too much for these kind of shooters since it is a very huge step beyond compared to other vertical-shooters from the late-1980s and 90s. The great load of these arcade-shooters is my only reason for ever choosing the Xbox 360 over the Nintendo Wii and PlayStation 3 as my favorite console of this generation.

Since you have been on a DLC-kick lately, may I suggest The Pinball Arcade, which is from the developers of Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection, which you loved? It's not perfect, though; the Xbox 360 version is inferior and to be avoided due to bugs that are not present in other versions, less tables since publisher disputes occurred (Crave's bankruptcy), and Microsoft's policy of requiring a publisher to release and update downloadable games. The PlayStation 3 version is far more up-to-date with its bug fixes, has more tables, and allows cross-play with the PlayStation Vita. Heck, they even have licensed tables such as Elvira, Star Trek: The Next Generation, and The Twilight Zone. I should also point out that certain tables have "Pro" versions which unlock the ability to configure the ROM image of selected tables that have it. It's optional, but I'd recommend buying the "Pro Packs" since your purchase might be counted twice if you suddenly decided to buy the "Pro Pack" when you have a normal pack. Kinda screwy business model for consoles since the game was made for tablets and mobile phones, but nevertheless still recommended if you like pinball games.

I've also heard good things about Marvel vs. Capcom Origins and DarkStalkers Resurrection, both of which are downloadable port collections of two Capcom fighters; Marvel vs. Capcom Origins features Marvel Super Heroes and Marvel vs. Capcom 1, while DarkStalkers Resurrection features Night Warriors: DarkStalkers Revenge and DarkStalkers 3. Both have in-game unlockables, so no need to pay extra money.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 18th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Deathsmiles was the first game (along with Alan Wake) that I bought after getting a 360.  It was shooting bliss; looked and played perfectly.  I'm not very good at 2D shmups, so the reduced difficulty was a HUGE gift from Cave.  I bought Akai Katana later and while it's far more difficult, it's insanely good.  In fact, it's better than Deathsmiles in many ways.  So my expectations were sky high with DoDonPachi Resurrection... and I was let down.  It's insanely difficult.  To the point where I haven't really had much fun with it.  I trust Cave; they know how to make difficult games fun, but this is one of the exceptions.  A "C+" seems like a good score.  It's a competent bullet hell shooter, but I don't believe it's as special as other games in the series or other games from the developer.

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » March 18th, 2013, 6:58 pm

I am glad to hear you liked Kung Fu:High impact for the kinect,Critic. I was talking about this game in a thread last week. I ordered a kinect and several games,and this was one. I haven't played it,and based everything on reviews and videos. It looks fun. Please, more kinect reviews!

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 20th, 2013, 10:14 am

Fruit ninja
It last about 2 minutes then you are bored with it.  I think you are being generous with that score.  D for me.  It came free with my copy of Gunstringer which is very good on Kinect.  One of the few games.  Please try to review Fable the journey.  It is just horrible.  How to turn a fun action RPG into a pile of poo. 

Julio_III1

Postby Julio_III1 » March 22nd, 2013, 11:26 am

Dodonpachi Resurrection (Daifukkatsu) is marked "not for Japan" as it was already released in Japan about a year prior (if memory serves me right). Rising Star Games got the license for the other regions. It only fills up a third of the screen as it is a port of a 3:4 vertical-orientated arcade game, like most shmups. The game is just as manic as any Cave shooter (apart from maybe the more beginner friendly Deathsmiles) and the scoring system is about as complex as any (in fact, I think Deathsmiles has a far more rigid scoring system). Daifukkatsu is pretty beginner friendly as you can use Strong-style, autobomb and the bullet cancelling of the hyper system to make it through fairly easily. Level 5 is the big step up, being twice as long as all the other levels, with 2 mid-bosses. And that whole level really plays on the Ikaruga-style polarity switching mechanic, which can largely be ignored through the rest of the game. 

I love the game, it's a thoroughly modern take on this classic bullet hell series, with those colourful visuals and mecha-loli stylings, has enough ease for newcomers yet enough bullets and scoring systems (and the two loops) for the hardcore to sink their teeth into.

The Black Label disc release which comes with the Ketsui-crossover mode is a real treat for Cave fans. The DLC version of Black Label doesn't incorporate this mode. The Black Label version of Dondonpachi Daifukkatsu is quite a change from ver.1.5 (which Resurrection corresponds to) with completely different scoring modes (and music) giving the game quite a different feel.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » April 6th, 2013, 10:52 am

Now I have played DoDonPachi I can say it is not one of my fave vertically scrolling shoot em ups.  I really like the flying above scenery which is completely obscured by all the over the top explosions.  There is so much going on.  If it did not have infinite continues I would last about 3 minutes.  This is a game for hard core fans only.  
For me very disappointing.  D-.  I rented this and will not be buying it.

Return to “Review Feedback”