Tiger Game.com Portable System review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 30th, 2013, 7:13 pm

I decided to review this system since I was reviewing all the games and it was fresh it my mind.  Now I need to review the other portables - something readers have been clamoring for.

Let me know what you think of this.  I tried to cover both iterations of the system.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 30th, 2013, 10:06 pm

I liked the review although it did seem a lot shorter then your other reviews. Still, the game.com really didn't require too much to say. Really a collector/enthusiast only kind of item. I always enjoy these though so thanks for the review. Hope you review some of the other handhelds as well.

BrendanD1

Postby BrendanD1 » May 31st, 2013, 12:49 pm

It's ironic for such a obscure handheld only 1 of it's games is actually worthy of being "Rare" and that is Wheel of Fortune 2 !! Which can cost more then a Brandnew game.com lol !

BrendanD1

Postby BrendanD1 » May 31st, 2013, 12:52 pm

There is also a 3rd model of the game.com it's a pocket pro but doesn't have the light and comes in some colors

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » May 31st, 2013, 4:17 pm

DJC1

Postby DJC1 » June 1st, 2013, 8:05 am

The Tiger R Zone has more in common with the older Tiger Electronics handhelds than it does the Game.com.  Stuart Ashens reviewed the R Zone a while back and it was not at all impressive.  I guess it does have that in common with the Game.com :-)

Dave I am surprised that you did not mention the fabled 'internet' capabilities of the Game.com.  There is a special cartridge and a cable (I own them) that allows you to connect your Game.com to a modem to download email, do simple web browsing, etc...   As far as I know it's the first console to even attempt something like that.

-DJ

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » June 2nd, 2013, 12:47 am

Thanks for these reviews, Critic. As I've mentioned before, I got this for Christmas the year it came out (1997) after begging my parents for it, so these reviews definitely have a great nostalgic value for me that it probably doesn't have for the 99% of gamers that wisely avoided the system. Some collectors (not me) now consider this console just a toy rather than a video game system, so (much like the Mattel Hyperscan) I figured it would be a system I'd never see you do reviews for. Very glad that you have!

Also, I totally agree with your assessment of the system, especially its ghosting effect that makes most animation-heavy games impossible to play. It's too bad, because Tiger did a decent job of getting some big name games onto the system-- the console just couldn't do them justice.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » June 2nd, 2013, 1:04 am

Also, in regard to the R-Zone mentioned above, that came out a couple years before the Game.com. As DJ mentioned though, the R-Zone had more in common with those cheap Tiger LCD handhelds you could buy in Sears and Caldor for $10 in the late 80s and early 90s. But it had interchangeable cartridges rather than having to buy a separate handheld for each game. Although the one pictured in that link is a handheld version, most were actually designed as a handset that you wore strapped around your head and the game was projected on a tiny plastic screen in front of your right eye. Sort of like a super crappy version of the already-crappy Virtual Boy. I bought one because of the novelty of it and because it had a cart for Nights into Dreams (the Saturn version being one of my Top 5 fav games), but the system was absolutely awful, definitely worse than Game.com. Just think how bad those old Tiger handhelds were (i.e., just blips statically moving on the screen) and you can imagine why R-Zone is an awful toy (and toy, def not a gaming system). But it's interesting for some collectors, because it has many well known franchises on it (Nights, Panzer Dragoon, and several others that I can't recall at the moment).

Return to “Review Feedback”