2013/6/15: Wii: Cruis'n, Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition, Rhythm Heaven Fever

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2013/6/15: Wii: Cruis'n, Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition, Rhythm Heaven Fever

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Let me know what you think about this new set of Wii reviews. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 15th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Ah, good reviews, and all are Wii games that I am currently missing from my collection. I have an interest in all three games so I am glad that you got around to reviewing these three games. Up until your other post, I didn't even know that Cruis'n existed, so I was excited to read the review. The reviews were very solid and I am enjoying the enlarged pictures for the current generation of consoles, it really helps get a better feel for these games. I was honestly surprised Rhythm Heaven Fever got such a poor score, since I have heard really solid things about it. Either way, these three games are next on my "to buy" list, so I'm glad you got around to reviewing them. Thanks a lot;.

Trev1

Postby Trev1 » June 15th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Thanks for the reviews VGC ... Crusi'n sounds like fun to me!

It's too bad you couldn't get into Rhythm Heaven Fever though... It's gotten so many positive review elsewhere and I really like it myself ... 

Of course I respect your opinion(s), but the words of your review don't actually seem to match up very well with the D- grade you gave it ... you enjoyed the concept, praised the visuals, etc ... does a "moderately entertaining game" like Rhythm Heaven, with several positive aspects, really deserve a D-?  Would you put it on the same level as say a Carnival Games Mini Golf?  After reading your review, I'm a bit confused  ...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Trev,
I said at its very best it's moderately entertaining.
The overall experience is substantially less fun.
VGC

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2013, 4:01 pm

I think these reviews illustrate my unique approach to reviewing games.
Most critics have a by-the-number system they use to grade games.
I use my gut.

Rhythm Heaven Fever has innovative gameplay and nice production values, so most critics say it's wonderful.  Cruis'n is shallow and has a lot of glitches, so critics write it off.

I ask myself, which game do I want to play?  Cruis'n yes, Rhythm Heaven no.

I know it's totally subjective, but I think the fun factor tends to get lost on critics who are too busy dissecting the details.

Trev1

Postby Trev1 » June 15th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Understood.  Again, I've no problem with the grade if that is how you feel, even if I happen to disgree ... in this instance though, I just thought your words made the game sound much more positive than the grade you gave it.  It read more like a C to me. 

Thanks for the quick reply.

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » June 15th, 2013, 6:48 pm

In the Cruis'n review, you said that double-tapping the gas activates nitrous. Actually the 'A' button does that. Double-tapping the gas just seems to make you wheelie in order to jump over other cars. It doesn't use any nitrous. Otherwise, great review!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Thanks Chaser - I will fix the review.

a1

Postby a1 » June 15th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Hmm...I have an issue with the Kirby Collection getting a worse grade than the Mario Collection. Granted, I prefer the Mario series, but I feel like these should be ranked for the quality of the collection. The Kirby collection has more games, more in the booklet, and just more care put into it. It makes the Mario All Stars Wii game look pathetic. You base your reviews on fun, but also on where a game stands compared to another on the system. Would you sooner pick up Mario All Stars Wii or Kirby's Dream Collection? I'd go for the collection that has more to it, and play my Super Nintendo Mario All Stars.

And each of those Kirby games is worth an A or B in my book, but I guess I don't know where you stand on them, since you don't have any Kirby reviews. I think if you played them individually you'd give most of them around an A or a B. I could see playing them all in a row getting a little old, as they have less variety than the Mario series. At least you filled a big gap in your library by getting the collection; I'm always surprised when I remember you don't have a review of Kirby's Adventure.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » June 15th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Great reviews.  You used the words "eye candy" in back-to-back sentences for Cruis'n, but maybe you intended too.

Regarding the issue about how sometimes the grade doesn't seem to match the words in the review; I think that's an understandable issue.  If a game gets a C, you'd think that they review would consist of an even number of negative and positive comments, but it just doesn't work that way.  Each of the items mentioned in a review (bad controls, good graphics, etc.) has a weight, and certain things are "heavier" than others.  So if the Critic is listing a lot of positives about a game, but it ends up being a D, it's probably because one or two aspects weigh down the whole experience, but it's hard for him to relay to the reader how much weight those items have.

That paragraph made sense to me when I typed it; sorry if doesn't though.   

Return to “Review Feedback”