2013/11/24: Wii U: Rayman Legends, Sonic Lost World, Wonderful 101, The

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 15th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Critic,

Would Sonic Lost World be any more fun to play after the recent patch?

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/11/sonic-lost-world-update-adjusts-difficulty-gives-players-extra/

"Sega has issued a patch for the Wii U version of Sonic: Lost World, adjusting the game's difficulty in response to player feedback and reintroducing the series-standard "100 rings = extra life" mechanic.

After applying the update, players will now receive ten lives after getting a Game Over, compared to the five lives that players started out with pre-patch. Our review cited a lack of opportunities to earn extra lives as a major drawback in Sonic: Lost World, as players can easily run out of lives in the difficult later levels, leading to frequent and frustrating restarts.

The patch additionally enables analog stick and button control for some of Sonic's Wisp powers, eliminating the need for motion controls and touch screen input."

I passed on the game based on your review.  I'm curious if there are enough changes now to make it worth a shot or if it's something I should still pass on.

Thanks much,

Bud

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 15th, 2013, 8:10 pm

That's good to know, the 3DS version didn't have the same difficulty problems, there you get extra lives for 100 rings and find extra lives in stages quite often, the last three stages are the only ones where you might have some trouble.  I would definitely recommend the critic check out the 3DS version if he hasn't already.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 15th, 2013, 8:51 pm

I have no plans to patch the game, and I doubt any of those changes are going to make the game dramatically more enjoyable.

I definitely don't want to get into the business of reviewing patches.  Sega could have done some testing beforehand but obviously cashing in on the holiday rush was more of a priority.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » December 16th, 2013, 4:30 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I have no plans to patch the game, and I doubt any of those changes are going to make the game dramatically more enjoyable.

I definitely don't want to get into the business of reviewing patches.  Sega could have done some testing beforehand but obviously cashing in on the holiday rush was more of a priority.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it applies to Sonic Lost Worlds, but looking at a lot of your reviews, you seem awfully biased towards games that star animals, or non-humans in general. I notice a lot of great anthro/non-human staring games get Cs or worse on this site, as well as random mediocre games staring humans getting high grades. Like for the Genesis, Rocket Knight Adventures and Dynamite Heady both got C, while a mediocre game like "Greendog the Beached Surfer Dude" got a B-. You also, seem to call a lot of games staring anthro-characters/non-humans (like Earthworm Jim) overrated. Is there any truth to this pattern/trend I've been noticing.

Also, in Contra: Hard Corps you mention that the game is too hard, yet I've played it and, honestly, I didn't notice much of a difference in difficulty between it and other Contra games. In fact, I found a few of the sections and bosses, like the Mutants rush, to be a joke. Still, it might be because I always play as Brownie, the short dude. (I, honestly, don't get why Fang exists in the game. Probably going with the trend of having anthropomorphic animals that was all the rage back then. ...I kind of missed those days. [frown]   ) So I might have had an easier time dodging stuff.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 16th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Yeah, I think you should definitely give Contra: Hard Corps another try, it's not really that much more difficult then other Contra games(Contra 4 was much tougher for me) it just takes a little bit of practice is all.  I would recommend choosing Sheila as she has the best weapon in the game IMO(the one that's like the spread gun, only it homes in on nearby enemies, it makes several boss fights considerably easier).

If you don't want to patch the game that's fine, but please at least try the 3DS version to see if you like it any better.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » December 17th, 2013, 4:48 am

May I suggest an addendum to future reviews that feature patches, particularly if they supposedly fix some of the problems with the game mentioned in the review?

I respect the critics decision to review games without patches, but in this day and age, it perhaps needs to be explicitly stated in some way, be it in the actual reviews, in an addendum attached to the reviews or a big statement somewhere prominent on the site?

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » December 22nd, 2013, 7:18 pm

It's a shame that there have been so many responses to this thread and barely any talk about Rayman Legends, which is absolutely terrific.  I've only been playing this for the last few days, but I think I can already say that this is my second favorite Wii U game behind Mario 3D World.  I enjoyed Origins, but I don't think I liked it quite as much as some did, and to me Legends has improved upon Origins in every way.  The amount of variety and creativity in this game is crazy.  The Murphy touch pad levels are so much fun that I think they could take the concept and create an entire game around it.  The Guitar Hero-esque "rhythmic platforming" stage (featuring an awesome version of "Black Betty" by Ram Jam) is one of the coolest levels I've ever played in a 2D platformer.

Really, if you have a Wii U and don't own this game yet, you need to go out and buy it right now.  If you would like more Rayman games and more 2D platformers in general, you need to go out and buy it.  Even if you are a jaded bastard of a gamer, you will enjoy this game more than you think you will.  Just go out and buy it!

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » December 23rd, 2013, 11:40 am

A lot of Wii U owners and Rayman fans were steaming when Ubisoft decided to make Legends multiplatform and, due to Microsoft policy, had to delay the release of the Wii U version by six months despite the game being complete and ready for release.  Said owners/fans stated that they were either boycotting the game or purchasing it used or when it's on a deep discount.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 23rd, 2013, 12:22 pm

[QUOTE=bronZfonZ]A lot of Wii U owners and Rayman fans were steaming when Ubisoft decided to make Legends multiplatform and, due to Microsoft policy, had to delay the release of the Wii U version by six months despite the game being complete and ready for release.  Said owners/fans stated that they were either boycotting the game or purchasing it used or when it's on a deep discount.[/QUOTE]

I knew but never understood why Nintendo fans would be steaming that a game would go multi-platform.  I get delaying it would upset someone, but not the fact that it would become multiplatform.  That's just pure sour grapes akin to a 5 year old throwing a tantrum he has to share his toys with others.  Grow up.

What Microsoft policy are you referencing?  As far as I know the Ubisoft decision was squarely a marketing budget related issue.  Ubisoft will provide the funds for one marketing campaign that would cover all versions of the game at once.  They'd aggregate the marketing budget across all consoles.  In theory it makes business sense. 

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » December 23rd, 2013, 2:16 pm

Legends for the Wii U was essentially delayed by 10 months.  It was originally supposed to be a Wii U launch title.  While the franchise has a cult following, there was a number of people who purchased a Wii U in order to play Legends.  Also, considering how bare the Wii U's library was in February, I think it's fair that a considerable percentage of the 3+ million Wii U owners at the time would be disappointed in the delay of Legends.

Microsoft's Xbox 360 policy is that they have the right to refuse multiplatform titles on the 360 if they are released on other platforms first.  

http://www.edge-online.com/news/microsoft-demands-simultaneous-multiplatform-releases/

Return to “Review Feedback”