2013/12/6: Wii U: Duck Tales Remastered, Super Mario 3D World

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 13th, 2013, 6:13 am

I doubt that anyone that has really played Super Mario 3D World would be left with anything but positive impressions of it. It's of such high quality that it's the type of game where even if you're not a fan of the franchise or genre, its quality is still undeniable and comes through loud and clear. 

It's the type of game where even if it's not for you, you sure wish it was since it's clearly so well done. 

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » December 13th, 2013, 8:58 am

[QUOTE=TheLastNightmare]Some of us prefer a streamlined and polished Nintendo style platformer over the tedious minigame search that is sandbox gameplay, or the military fetish style of 1st person carnival shoot out galleries. If you think 3D World is an average game, it's difficult to take you seriously.

Just insulting a mainstream brand doesn't automatically make you a critic.[/QUOTE]

You don't think I'm doing this to seem cool, do you? Honestly, I've played a lot of Mario games, but they've all been rather average in terms of fun-factor for me, and often they're not even that. Honestly, I am sick of seeing the series get the endless praise and "NO! YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DISLIKE THIS GAME!" type responses that the series gets. I honestly wonder how popular the series would be without Mario or familiar characters in them.

I'm not downplaying him to look cool, I'm doing it cause I seriously, honestly, and strongly dislike the series.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 13th, 2013, 11:01 am

Why are you even posting here? Nonsense like whining that you couldn't sleep nights because the Critic gave NSMB an A+ is what got you banned the last time yet you felt the need to register just to start the nonsense all over again?

We're not buying what you're selling.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 13th, 2013, 12:22 pm

3D World does look good, but i'd never try to tell someone they weren't allowed to dislike it, it really annoys me that there are certain games that you're just seemingly forbidden to have an opposing opinion on.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » December 13th, 2013, 2:00 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]Why are you even posting here? Nonsense like whining that you couldn't sleep nights because the Critic gave NSMB an A+ is what got you banned the last time yet you felt the need to register just to start the nonsense all over again?

We're not buying what you're selling.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see you guys remember me and have given me a second chance. "The fools. Mwahahahahaha."

But seriously, what you said is basically "You HAVE to like it! It's not optional, you absolutely HAVE to like it!" Honestly, no I don't have to like a slow, shallow game staring some Italian 'expletive, deleted' who fights a giant turtle who's a guh-zillion times more awesome and likeable than him all to really annoying music, cheesy graphics, and annoying tedious game play. I mean, it's not a bad game, but why do I absolutely have to like it if it's not fun for me to play? (Also, if you think I'm trolling, I'm not. I'm dead serious when I say I do not like Mario Games.)

Honestly, I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm just stating an opinion in the hopes that a Mario fan actually respects the opinion, which no offense but is something I never see. The Video Game Critic can give Mario all the A+s he wants to give them, but that won't make me like them.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » December 13th, 2013, 2:08 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

3D World does look good, but i'd never try to tell someone they weren't allowed to dislike it, it really annoys me that there are certain games that you're just seemingly forbidden to have an opposing opinion on.

[/QUOTE]

I really doubt that anyone would say that he or anyone else is forbidden to dislike 3D World (or any other game, for that matter).  But here's an idea:  If you're going to show up here with a bunch of tough talk and be heavily critical of the VGC "sucking up to yet another overrated, shallow Mario Game as usual" (whatever that means), then could you at least have some good examples to back up your opinion?  I mean, the VGC mentioned several reasons why he liked the game (he actually wrote a rather lengthy paragraph!), so I don't think it's asking too much for at least one specific example of why he doesn't like the game (sorry, but just saying "the game isn't fun" is not being specific).

In the end if you have no substance in your arguments to back up such a bold and critical opinion (of both the game and the VGC himself), then what you say just sounds like posturing, and I believe that's what rubs people the wrong way.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » December 13th, 2013, 2:35 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

[/QUOTE]

Thank you. [biggrin]

[QUOTE=snakeboy][QUOTE=darkrage6]

[/QUOTE]

I really doubt that anyone would say that he or anyone else is forbidden to dislike 3D World (or any other game, for that matter).  But here's an idea:  If you're going to show up here with a bunch of tough talk and be heavily critical of the VGC "sucking up to yet another overrated, shallow Mario Game as usual" (whatever that means), then could you at least have some good examples to back up your opinion?  I mean, the VGC mentioned several reasons why he liked the game (he actually wrote a rather lengthy paragraph!), so I don't think it's asking too much for at least one specific example of why he doesn't like the game (sorry, but just saying "the game isn't fun" is not being specific).

In the end if you have no substance in your arguments to back up such a bold and critical opinion (of both the game and the VGC himself), then what you say just sounds like posturing, and I believe that's what rubs people the wrong way.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, it's mostly cause they gameplay is slow, tedious, generic (even the powerups don't add much) and doesn't have a good rush of energy for me. I like games that are fast paced and have nice ways to rack up damage through comboes and such, and Mario games have always felt stale. Sure, you can combo by jumping on multiple enemies, but that's more a chore than fun. I'll admit, the use of turtles shells as a weapon like they do in the Mario games is still creative to this day, and not something other games do, but the rest feels like it can be found in other games.

Plus, one of my favorite parts of any game? The boss fights. And IMO, the boss fights in Mario games almost always fall flat. They're generally simple, uncreative, and don't normally present all that much challenge, plus they usually die in just three hits, so fights are usually over in a flash. I like boss fights with a nice length, willing to take a good amount of hits, and have a lot of different tricks up their sleeves. Sorry, but Mario games just don't do it for me.

They're not BAD games by any sense (well usually not) but I don't see how they're all that and a handshake.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 13th, 2013, 2:40 pm

I agree he should not have said it in such a rude manner.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 13th, 2013, 2:45 pm

I never said that anyone wasn't allowed to dislike it. 

What I said was that the quality inherent in it is so evident that it's essentially undeniable that this is quality work. A game can just not be for you while still being able to recognize the craftsmanship that went into it. The two aren't mutually exclusive. If this game isn't for you, that's fine and you're free to have your opinion. But to not be able to see the high production value here and understand why it's loved by many just suggests ulterior motives. Especially coming from individuals with such long and sorted histories here, I think I'm right on the mark with my first post. 

For a personal illustration of what I'm saying, I'm a classic movie fan yet I don't love Gone to the Wind despite being a big fan of several of the individuals involved in its production and of movies from that era in general. Yet I don't go around classic movie boards proclaiming that it's overrated junk just because it's not for me. The quality of the performances, the writing, and the artistry is quite evident. It just for whatever unfortunate reason just don't resonate with me and didn't do much for me. 

But to proclaim that everyone that loves it are essentially wrong and that what we have here despite such universal praise is actually a poor well below average effort that is only succeeding because of the characters shoehorned into the game is just nonsense that deserves to be called out for.

a1

Postby a1 » December 13th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Splash, it seems like you want Mario to be Devil May Cry. Obviously it's not your style of game. That doesn't make it bad.

Return to “Review Feedback”