2013/12/6: Wii U: Duck Tales Remastered, Super Mario 3D World

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » December 13th, 2013, 3:30 pm

[QUOTE=Splash]agraph!)Like I said, it's mostly cause they gameplay is slow, tedious, generic (even the powerups don't add much) and doesn't have a good rush of energy for me. [/QUOTE]

Actually, no, you didn't say that in any of the posts I saw (I see now that you did go into some of these examples in your response to Leo, but it took you 3 posts to do so, and even then your response is so over-the-top it is hard to take you seriously).  What I saw was someone being heavily critical of both the game and the VGC without any good reasoning to back it up and then trying to twist things to make it sound like everyone wasn't allowing you to express your opinion, when in actuality people were simply annoyed by how you expressed your opinion, and not the opinion itself.

If you would have said, "I think Super Mario 3D World is overrated," and then simply stated the reasons why, like you did in your post above, I'm sure people would have disagreed with you, but I'm pretty certain that the overall reaction to your post wouldn't have been nearly as negative.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » December 13th, 2013, 3:41 pm

When did I officially say (just recently, I might have in the past) that people are wrong for liking Mario. Although I do feel the name is part of it. I'd actually like to see Nintendo experiment by making a Mario game staring a completely unrelated character to see how it does, just to test the theory. ...Then again, the "Nintendo" name might already get it some merit.

Also, my first post was anger, I'll admit. Honestly, I'm kind of angry with VGCs reviews in general. He gives so many great games low scores, yet gives A+ only to games that, personally, I cannot stand to play. I cannot recall a time that a game I actually like got A+. ...Maybe Guitar Hero, but I've never played the first one.

Edit: Also, IMO, disagreement is a form of saying "NO! You can NOT think that!"

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 13th, 2013, 4:48 pm

If you are angry with my reviews just don't read them.  Read other sites instead.  Clearly we have different taste and there's nothing wrong with that.  Video games are not a serious topic and these reviews are for entertainment purposes only.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » December 13th, 2013, 5:32 pm

"Angry with reviews," eh? Looks like you guys might like different games.

I think you would have gotten a kinder response if you had said: "I dislike SM3DW," and stated the reasons.
When I read your first post, I thought you were trolling.  

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » December 13th, 2013, 5:54 pm

I guess.

But my main problem is that just about EVERY SINGLE REVIEW GUY I GO TO is similar. They almost always give perfect grades to games I strongly don't like. ...But then again, they also normally rate games I do like higher. I think my main problem is that this sight makes me feel so alone: Like I'm the absolute only person who doesn't like said games.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » December 29th, 2013, 8:01 pm

[QUOTE=Splash]When did I officially say (just recently, I might have in the past) that people are wrong for liking Mario. Although I do feel the name is part of it. I'd actually like to see Nintendo experiment by making a Mario game staring a completely unrelated character to see how it does, just to test the theory. ...Then again, the "Nintendo" name might already get it some merit.

Also, my first post was anger, I'll admit. Honestly, I'm kind of angry with VGCs reviews in general. He gives so many great games low scores, yet gives A+ only to games that, personally, I cannot stand to play. I cannot recall a time that a game I actually like got A+. ...Maybe Guitar Hero, but I've never played the first one.

Edit: Also, IMO, disagreement is a form of saying "NO! You can NOT think that!"[/QUOTE]

Your definition of a disagreement is a bit extreme, but oh well.

If you're fed up with the majority of critics because they don't like the games you like, or love the games you hate, why don't you start writing your own reviews? I'm not saying it in a mean way. That's how a lot of critics get started, actually.

As for Mario, I don't see the point in attacking the games for not being more like, say, Devil May Cry. Do you know why I love a series like Mario? I recently got together with an old friend of mine, who brought his two kids along. We busted out New Super Mario U. Granted, it's far from being the best of the series, but the reaction from the kids proved that it didn't matter. They had the same look of astonishment that I had, as a five year old boy who played his first game of Super Mario Bros. at a Sears kiosk back in '86. Games like Mario aren't meant to be complicated. They're meant to be fun for all ages.

Gaming isn't something worth getting angry about. Just enjoy what you like.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » January 17th, 2014, 2:12 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]I doubt that anyone that has really played Super Mario 3D World would be left with anything but positive impressions of it. It's of such high quality that it's the type of game where even if you're not a fan of the franchise or genre, its quality is still undeniable and comes through loud and clear. 

It's the type of game where even if it's not for you, you sure wish it was since it's clearly so well done. [/QUOTE]

Agreed. I felt the same way when I played 3D Land on the 3DS. You complete all of the main worlds and you think the game is over, and then all of the sudden...some of the most interesting levels in any Mario game are tucked away in the special worlds. There's so much to like about these games. Not that NSMBU was bad by any means, but it's almost hard to imagine that 3D Mario and 2D Mario are made by the same company.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » January 17th, 2014, 7:03 pm

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles][QUOTE=Splash]When did I officially say (just recently, I might have in the past) that people are wrong for liking Mario. Although I do feel the name is part of it. I'd actually like to see Nintendo experiment by making a Mario game staring a completely unrelated character to see how it does, just to test the theory. ...Then again, the "Nintendo" name might already get it some merit.

Edit: Also, IMO, disagreement is a form of saying "NO! You can NOT think that!"[/QUOTE] Your definition of a disagreement is a bit extreme, but oh well. If you're fed up with the majority of critics because they don't like the games you like, or love the games you hate, why don't you start writing your own reviews? I'm not saying it in a mean way. That's how a lot of critics get started, actually. As for Mario, I don't see the point in attacking the games for not being more like, say, Devil May Cry. Do you know why I love a series like Mario? I recently got together with an old friend of mine, who brought his two kids along. We busted out New Super Mario U. Granted, it's far from being the best of the series, but the reaction from the kids proved that it didn't matter. They had the same look of astonishment that I had, as a five year old boy who played his first game of Super Mario Bros. at a Sears kiosk back in '86. Games like Mario aren't meant to be complicated. They're meant to be fun for all ages. Gaming isn't something worth getting angry about. Just enjoy what you like.[/QUOTE]

If you absolutely HAVE to tell people you disagree when someone bashes a popular franchise like Mario, then yes it does show that.

I'm not attacking Mario for not being more like Devil May Cry, I'm attacking it for being shallow, having annoyingly tedious and slow-paced gameplay with no real hook to its gameplay, and also really crappy bossfights. Also, there might have been a point I liked Mario. But by then I grew up.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » January 18th, 2014, 9:33 am

Is Splash one of those teeny boppers who thinks that they're immediately more mature for playing games with mature themes? "But by then I grew up". That's funny. Some of the worst games I've ever played have mature themes. Some of the best have kids themes.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 18th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Weallmissedme-You really shouldn't stereotype people like that, some people just aren't big on Mario and that's just fine. 

Return to “Review Feedback”