Back to Basics?

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Back to Basics?

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 8th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Lately it's been a struggle to keep up site updated.  I have dozens of unfinished reviews - maybe 100!  Some are too long.  Some are just some notes.  A few have been on my radar for years.

It's become more difficult to write reviews.  I am covering more systems than ever.  In addition to new games, I'm constantly going back to correct/enhance old ones.  My standards are higher and I've become a bit of a perfectionist.  A lot of times I don't post "finished" reviews because I hate them.

I think I'm going to need to change my approach a bit.  It may be time to get back to the basics.  When I started the site the reviews were a lot shorter (quick and dirty).  They were not as comprehensive as other sites, but they were concise and got the job done.  

I think I need to move in that direction.  A lot of people have said my reviews tend to be a little too long anyway.  It will probably make things a lot easier for me.

What do you think?

pacguy191

Back to Basics?

Postby pacguy191 » May 8th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Definitely. Constrain it to how it looks, how it sounds, how fun it plays. That's all a review needs anyway.

Rev1

Back to Basics?

Postby Rev1 » May 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm

I like your more in depth reviews a bit more then your older ones, but I can definitely see how that is causing a problem with keeping the site updated. Perhaps taking what you've learned over the years and coming to some kind of compromise.

Vexer1

Back to Basics?

Postby Vexer1 » May 8th, 2014, 9:58 pm

I don't think your reviews are too long at all, I think they're just the right length. I don't know if shorter reviews are really the answer, I like your new reviews better then your older ones.

Tron1

Back to Basics?

Postby Tron1 » May 8th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Do it your way man. If you like shorter than go short. I just reviewed every Star Trek episode & no review was longer than 3 sentences. For me I did the reviews just to see how I felt about the episode so in 2024 I can watch them again and see if my opinions have changed. Why do you do these reviews?

PSX1

Back to Basics?

Postby PSX1 » May 8th, 2014, 11:18 pm

I agree with Rev.  I prefer the more detailed reviews.  I don't think they're too long at all (then again, this is coming from the guy who writes a book for every forum post).  At the same time, though, I guess I am more likely to not read a lengthy review if it's for a game I'm not interested in; whereas I might still read a short review of the same game.  But, for many of the games you review, the ONLY review on the entire internet is written by you, so it's nice to have more of your thoughts rather than less.  Also, I'd bet that most of the unreleased reviews that you hate, the readers here would actually enjoy.  The entertaining reviews are great, but there's nothing wrong with some "just the facts, maam" reviews.

Of course, if it's necessary in order to keep the site going, then I agree with Rev that maybe a compromise is the best way to go.  ....Perfectionism might be a tougher habit to break than you think, though..

ptdebate1

Back to Basics?

Postby ptdebate1 » May 9th, 2014, 12:31 am

Perhaps you could appoint a few co-reviewers to review games and submit their drafts to you for editing and publishing. Maybe you could parcel out games in genres that you enjoy less or perhaps have less time to review--lengthy RPGs, compilations, simulations, absurdly difficult, time-consuming, or niche stuff; oddly expensive and/or rare titles, DLC, or online multiplayer games, for example.

gleebergloben1

Back to Basics?

Postby gleebergloben1 » May 9th, 2014, 10:06 am

I prefer the shorter reviews, but longer reviews may be more appropriate for big releases such as Titanfall or Mario Kart 8.

Ironically, shorter reviews are tougher to finish than longer reviews, as far as editing and making every sentence have impact to the reader. Most people can explain a concept or idea if given enough time and words, but being concise and direct is an art form, at which I think you excel.

JustLikeHeaven1

Back to Basics?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 9th, 2014, 10:08 am

I haven't noticed a lack in quality.  Your reviews are still pretty damn concise compared to what else is out there...plus they remain informative.  For me I find it MUCH harder to write short reviews compared to long winded stuff.  

However, I understand feeling 'burnt out' or feeling like you're constantly struggling to keep up with reviews.  Just do what you have to in order to enjoy writing and keeping the reviews going.  

Hell, if you need to....take a month off or something.  Recharge your batteries.  I've been coming to this site for almost 10 years now (crazy!) and I've always been amazed at the output.  You're always putting out new reviews and articles with almost no lulls.  If anyone deserves a break, man you've earned it!  

ActRaiser1

Back to Basics?

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 9th, 2014, 10:26 am

I've been coming here for your reviews since 2002.  After 15 years, I think you can afford a vacation, we'll still be here.

Personally, I like the shorter reviews as the long ones tend to look like a wall of text without a paragraph  spacing or indent to break things up.  The indent or spacing helps me to pick up where I was last reading if I'm distracted by something.

A few of us could volunteer to be editors.  That might allow you to quickly jot down your ideas and we could proof read them for you.  They are still yours, we'd just help with the grammar side of things to keep things going.  Dropbox works well for sharing files, with Word and Track Changes you could either approve or deny the edits.  That might be one way to help quickly get out the backlog of reviews.

Return to “Review Feedback”