2014/7/29: Super Nintendo: Aladdin, Dirt Trax FX, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 29th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Let me know what you think about this new set of SNES reviews.

Danvankleef1

Postby Danvankleef1 » July 29th, 2014, 10:35 pm

Great reviews as always! I was a bit surprised when I saw snes reviews that weren't Spawn, Spider-Man, and Alien vs. Predator. Any idea when those are coming? I feel like they have been at the bottom of the coming attractions list for over a year. In any case, keep up the great work!

PS I'd take snes Aladdin over genesis any day.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 29th, 2014, 11:58 pm

Good reviews, when I was growing up I used to love the Power Rangers. For some reason I thought I remember you saying you liked the SNES version better for Aladdin but this review said the opposite. Did your opinion change?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2014, 7:54 am

[QUOTE=Rev]Good reviews, when I was growing up I used to love the Power Rangers. For some reason I thought I remember you saying you liked the SNES version better for Aladdin but this review said the opposite. Did your opinion change?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think I was initially seduced by the better-looking SNES edition, but over the long haul I discovered that the Genesis version was a little more fun.

a1

Postby a1 » July 30th, 2014, 3:01 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic][QUOTE=Rev]Good reviews, when I was growing up I used to love the Power Rangers. For some reason I thought I remember you saying you liked the SNES version better for Aladdin but this review said the opposite. Did your opinion change?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think I was initially seduced by the better-looking SNES edition, but over the long haul I discovered that the Genesis version was a little more fun.[/QUOTE]

Your SNES review said the game was better in the audio department too. Can you elaborate? To me this is one of the few genesis games that wins on that. It actually has tunes from the movies while the snes game has generic and unmemorable music. I guess it's probably superior technically but I wouldn't say it's better.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » July 30th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Aladdin on the SNES is only fun the first run through, and it's not great or anything, just a refreshingly good game based on a movie. The graphics are by far some of the best on the SNES. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2014, 5:55 pm

[QUOTE=Danvankleef]Great reviews as always! I was a bit surprised when I saw snes reviews that weren't Spawn, Spider-Man, and Alien vs. Predator. Any idea when those are coming? I feel like they have been at the bottom of the coming attractions list for over a year. In any case, keep up the great work! PS I'd take snes Aladdin over genesis any day.[/QUOTE]

I think I was a little unhappy with the state of these reviews so I skipped over them.  They are coming.

reply to a: As usually the sound quality of the SNES is better, but you may be right that the tunes are better on the Genesis.  I don't think I paid close enough attention to that. Next time I play I may revise.

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » July 30th, 2014, 9:07 pm

Capcom was once the go-to publisher/developer for Disney videogame IPs up until Aladdin.  If not because of the difference in sales numbers or profitability between Capcom's Aladdin and Virgin's Aladdin, I wonder what else would have caused that relationship to go south.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » July 31st, 2014, 7:56 am

The Power Rangers TV show was after my time, but my younger cousin was a fan of the show and had the SNES game.  I only had an SNES and like 10 games back then, so we poured a lot of time into playing the Power Rangers game.  I had a lot of fun with it, so I was surprised at your low score at first...but as I read your review, I remembered how plain and by-the-numbers it was, and realized that I probably just enjoyed it more back then because of my age and lack of other games.  Setting nostalgia aside, I guess I'd probably agree with the D.  Worth playing for gamers who liked the show as kids, though.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » July 31st, 2014, 12:24 pm

Certainly, MMPR for the SNES is a well made and polished game. But it simply doesn't do anything unique at all.

I've just been reminded that there were 10 MMPR games across 5 platforms; SNES, Game Boy, Genesis, Sega CD and Game Gear.

Only one of them had a unique name. 5 of the other 9 were all called 'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' with no unique sub titles. and 4 of the other 9 were all called  'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie' again with no unique sub title.

Despite sharing names, many of them are entirely different games in different genres; MMPR for the SNES is a single plane scrolling fighter, MMPR for the Genesis is a beat em up, MMPR for the Sega CD is an FMV game etc etc.

Perhaps the Critic could do a MMPR game special.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Morphin_Power_Rangers_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Morphin_Power_Rangers:_The_Movie_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Morphin_Power_Rangers:_The_Fighting_Edition

Return to “Review Feedback”