The Dark Side of Online Gaming

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 21st, 2014, 9:06 pm

One reader replied via Twitter with this:

I've enjoyed your reviews for years, but this article is full of misinformation and plain paranoia. Big letdown....big.

I wonder which parts he was referring to?

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 21st, 2014, 9:27 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]One reader replied via Twitter with this:

I've enjoyed your reviews for years, but this article is full of misinformation and plain paranoia. Big letdown....big.

I wonder which parts he was referring to?
[/QUOTE]

Congrats, Critic! You've gotten popular enough to rile up the Internet Trolldom!

I don't see any evidence of "misinformation" or egregious "paranoia" in your article. It's clearly based on personal experience and doesn't pretend to be a dissertation on the Internet's effect on gaming culture. This is editorial, not science. Your opinions are well-considered and well-argued.

I do think, however, that one of the key arguments--namely, that games in general are diminishing in quality and becoming more ephemeral--is a slippery slope that is not substantiated by the evidence. For every egregious money grab by an EA or a sleazy mobile dev, there are examples of flawless, bug free experiences that require no online connection to function properly (see Final Fantasy XIII (2009) and for an excellent example of this). Latter-day games aren't necessarily better than the retro classics, but they're not, as a whole, worse. If they were, it would be the fault of opportunistic businessmen, not the Internet.

Return to “Review Feedback”