2015/1/1: Super Nintendo: Pit Fighter, Super Off Road, Alien Vs. Predator

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 1st, 2015, 1:50 pm

Pit Fighter and Alien Vs. Predator are brand new reviews.

Super Off Road is a re-review, and went from B+ to D!  

Your thoughts?

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » January 1st, 2015, 3:58 pm

How they could just drop the ball on the SNES version of Pit Fighter after the Genesis port was clearly far superior to the original is beyond me.

However, I think your judgment of no 4-player mode on Super Off Road is a bit unfair. The first 4 player adapter came out with the release of Super Bomberman in 1993. Super Off Road was released in 1992. There was no way to play a 4 player SNES game until a year later. It's probably my favorite version outside of the NES.

fox1

Postby fox1 » January 1st, 2015, 7:26 pm

It's too bad the arcade version of Alien vs Predator never made it to the consoles as that is my favorite Final Fight/Streets of Rage type game ever. 

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » January 2nd, 2015, 3:32 am

For anyone that wants to enjoy a similar experience on the Genesis, I suggest tracking down the unreleased but finished prototype of Indy Heat for it and fire it up in your favorite emulator (Or Everdrive multicart).

This was the arcade follow-up to Super Off-Road by Tradewest and the Sega port was excellent. A shame that it never was officially released. 

[QUOTE=DanZero]Super Off Road was released in 1992. There was no way to play a 4 player SNES game until a year later. [/QUOTE]

While it's disappointing that it worked out that way, it seems worth mentioning that even the arcade original only allowed 3 person multiplayer, for obvious reasons (Without a relentlessly fast CPU to compete against at all times, quarter intake would be reduced). 

I never even had a multi-tap and few opportunities over the years where I could've taken advantage of it, so my main complaint back in the day was the missing dune buggies from the 'Track-Pack' add-on that was released to operators to extend its economic life.

At least all of the tracks from that add-on seemed to be present, to the best of my recollection.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » January 2nd, 2015, 5:43 am

Haven't played the SNES version of Pit-Fighter but - like the VGC - I enjoyed the Genesis version.

However Critic, since you always mention you like side scrolling brawler so much, which do you consider the best you played, beside the obvious ones? (aka Streets of Rage 2, Turtles in Time and Final Fight One).

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » January 2nd, 2015, 8:56 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]At least all of the tracks from that add-on seemed to be present, to the best of my recollection.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's correct. The SNES Super Off Road has all the "track pack" arcade tracks which the NES didn't have. Another positive mark for the game.

Indy Heat did make it onto the NES, and it's pretty good.

Return to “Review Feedback”