7/22/2006: Xbox: Far Cry Instincts, Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 22nd, 2006, 9:33 am

These reviews have been a long time coming.  Let me know how you like them.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 22nd, 2006, 10:58 am

Thanks for posting the Gauntlet SS review Critic.  I recently saw the game drop down to $20 at BestBuy and I will be picking it up shortly!  I can't stand how places like ign and gamespot downgrade games for stupid things (i.e. game is too short, too cute, simple gameplay). 

I was wondering if you have played the new Rampage game because thats also getting panned everywhere and it seems like the kind of title you would scoop up in a second (budget price and it has big ass monsters!).

I found this article/blog post from an ign editor and I think its a pretty interesting read.  It talks about having to rate games on the Wii based on how they play as opposed to how the look and sound...

http://blogs.ign.com/matt-ign

As for Far Cry Instincts...I had really high hopes for this game, but it really fell short of my expectations.  I'm not the biggest FPS in the world and most of them give me motion sickness.  Don't get me wrong the game is gorgeous and handles well, but I just couldn't get into it.  I probably onlyed logged about an hour of gameplay into Far Cry (I never even got injected with the serum stuff), but I just couldn't get into it.  Perhaps if I go back and give it another chance I'll like it, but it was too boring for me to keep playing. 

Hey Critic, when you pause the game do you hear a high pitch noise like the one you mentioned in the review.  I brought my game back because I thought it was broken, but the new copy made the same noise? 

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 22nd, 2006, 2:03 pm

Even more positive praise to make me pick up Far Cry Instincts! If only the 360 didn't have so many quality FPS (so far I only have Perfect Dark Zero and Quake 4 is next on my list).  I'm a huge fan of Stephen Dorff too who does the voice acting, here's hoping they use him in the movie even if it is an Uwe Boll project (he worked with him before so fingers crossed).

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » July 22nd, 2006, 3:02 pm

Can we bump up the grade if we have online?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 22nd, 2006, 3:08 pm

[QUOTE=Zen444]Can we bump up the grade if we have online?[/QUOTE]

No.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 23rd, 2006, 3:14 am

But you said the multiplayer levels were too small for four players.  Someone who has online wouldn't have that problem.  Plus the Hunter play mode would make a lot more sense as you couldn't see where the hunter was and there would be more players he would have to get to.

Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » July 24th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Hey critic I was wondering how far you got into Far Cry because I played it up until the night sequences where you start going underground I'm only able to play videogames at night(girlfriend/job) and well....it started freaking me out, things that pop out at you at 3am just dont tickle my pickle.  But I wanted to start it up again and finish it . So since you mainly talked about the jungle I was wondering if you beaten it because from other reviews it starts getting differnt in the later stages.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Yeah I left off somewhat in those night stages with the creepy things that pop out.  I'm still working my way through the game.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » July 25th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Hey critic,

If you didn't have any buddies to play this Gaunlet game with is it still worth a try? I liked your review but the few pals I have that play video games only play hockey and GRAW so I am a little leary to pick this one up at some point.

Great Farcry review, I love this game and think it is maybe the best FPS for any console. I think it is only surpassed by Call of Duty and Doom (PC versions of course).

Looking forward to your 360 reviews. Thank you.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 25th, 2006, 5:55 pm

Gauntlet is less compelling with one player, but still worth picking up.

Return to “Review Feedback”