I really like Atari 5200 controllers

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » June 4th, 2012, 3:01 pm

I appreciate all of the discussion this topic has inspired, and I'm glad to see that there are others who do not completely hate Atari 5200 controllers.

Critic--perhaps I will perceive more of these problems as I try out more 5200 games. As of now, I have only had problems with the fire buttons on my controllers, which I found relatively easy to repair. Perhaps it's partially my love for taking things apart and working on them that makes me like the controllers so much.

Soporj: Your assertions aren't supported by any argumentation, so there's really nowhere for the discussion to go...

Jake_JacobZu7zu71

Postby Jake_JacobZu7zu71 » June 5th, 2012, 12:40 am

I come to the conclusion that all Atari joystick controllers are my least favorite, because they break too easy.
2600, domes/wire breakage, 5200 buttons/stick failure 
7800 unresponsive stick/blocky fire buttons.

The Intellivision controller fits my hand comfortable, and the d-pad works well, and doesn't break or stop responding and it's easy to clean.

I like the 7800 joystick ok, if it works properly. Most reliable of the three I think!

Where as the 5200 stick, I always have to re-adjust my hands to stop cramping, and my thumb hurts from holding the tiny button down, in shooters or Pole Position. This is the joystick that I feel "least comfortable" using in my hands.

They also need a lot of matinence, which is a pain... mine were fixed a few months ago, and they already have problems again... I could forgive the clunky feel of the 5200 joysticks, if they didn't fail or need cleaning so much...

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » September 23rd, 2012, 8:12 pm

From post #10 and the review for the Sega Master System "Great Ice Hockey", I take it our Video Game Critic is slightly underwhelmed with the Sega Sports Pad of 1986.  Actually, the word was 'worthless' in bold font.  While I won't try to defend games like Great Ice Hockey or Sports Pad Football, I do think the peripheral is pretty good.  First off, its small compared to other trackballs like the Atari 2600's or 5200 (which is the poster child of oversized controllers). Secondly, its smooth.  I have a like-sized aftermarket trackball for a 2600, and while it was new in the box, it clicks and moves unevenly.  The sports pad controller works smoothly.  Its also the then standard 9 pin D-sub connector so I can use it for my Colecovision and 2600 (I believe I have used it for the Colecovision...have to test that again).  I really enjoy using it "Arcade Smash Hits" for the SMS, which is a delightful collection of Atari inspired ports of Centipede, Breakout and Missile Command.

So why does our VGC have a slight aversion to this trackball.  My working hypothesis is from two things - one, the game he was playing would be bad with any controller, and two, an unfortunate setting choice on the controller.  On my version, there are two slide switches.  The one on the left has a choice of 1 dot or 4, possibly a turbo switch.  The other says 'control' and 'sports', where its 8 way controller on 'control', and 'omnidirectional' on 'Sports'.  Dave probably (logically) had it set to 'sports'.  When I do that for Missile Command, the controller becomes an unresponsive paperweight.  Maybe it was just the setting.

Anyone have any love/hate relationships with the Sega Sports Pad.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » September 23rd, 2012, 9:20 pm

Let me guess, this guy knows the eraser trick....

Return to “Review Feedback”