9/12/2006: Madden NFL 07 for the PS2 and Xbox 360

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » September 13th, 2006, 10:08 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]

Looks like I'll be firing up NFL 2K5 again this year.

[/QUOTE]

This is the smartest statement anyone has made in this thread.  ESPN 2K5 is the best football game ever created.  The fact that you can STILL play tons of people online is a testament to the game's greatness.  ESPN walks all over Madden and the gameplay is still tighter than even the latest versions.  The only flaw of the whole game is the lackluster commentary. 

The ESPN/Sportscenter presentation was mind blowing at the time and the graphics still sizzle today.  ESPN 2K5 was the first game I bought for my Xbox and each season I take it out and milk a little more enjoyment out of it.  Its easily the best value I've ever gotten out of $20.  With the customizable soundtrack, difficulty sliders for just about everything and the best football engine, the game is pretty much legendary.

Just the other day I did a fantasy draft and started a new franchise.  I'm already hooked and I play several games a day.  The AI in the game keeps the games close and my last game I went from enjoying a 20 pt lead to sweating out a 37 yard potential game losing field goal.  The computer's kick sailed left and we went into OT...truly exhilerating stuff.

The main problem is that most Madden lovers simply write off the game without getting too in depth with it.  When I try to convert my Madden loving friends they nit pick everything and complain about the controls...I'm a football nut and I've played pretty much every football game in the past 15 years and in terms of realistic gameplay and fun factor ESPN 2K5 has no peers.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » September 13th, 2006, 10:48 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven][QUOTE=ActRaiser]

Looks like I'll be firing up NFL 2K5 again this year.

[/QUOTE]

This is the smartest statement anyone has made in this thread.  ESPN 2K5 is the best football game ever created.  The fact that you can STILL play tons of people online is a testament to the game's greatness.  ESPN walks all over Madden and the gameplay is still tighter than even the latest versions.  The only flaw of the whole game is the lackluster commentary. 

The ESPN/Sportscenter presentation was mind blowing at the time and the graphics still sizzle today.  ESPN 2K5 was the first game I bought for my Xbox and each season I take it out and milk a little more enjoyment out of it.  Its easily the best value I've ever gotten out of $20.  With the customizable soundtrack, difficulty sliders for just about everything and the best football engine, the game is pretty much legendary.

Just the other day I did a fantasy draft and started a new franchise.  I'm already hooked and I play several games a day.  The AI in the game keeps the games close and my last game I went from enjoying a 20 pt lead to sweating out a 37 yard potential game losing field goal.  The computer's kick sailed left and we went into OT...truly exhilerating stuff.

The main problem is that most Madden lovers simply write off the game without getting too in depth with it.  When I try to convert my Madden loving friends they nit pick everything and complain about the controls...I'm a football nut and I've played pretty much every football game in the past 15 years and in terms of realistic gameplay and fun factor ESPN 2K5 has no peers.
[/QUOTE]

The 2k series is very, very good, no doubt. And I agree overall with the critics review, though I would give the 360 Madden a C.

They always tinker with stuff they just shouldn't mess with. I like playing online, so I was very dissapointed to see that they made ranked online games 5 minutes instead of 4. Doesn't seem like much of a difference, but you are talking a 35-45 minute game versus having to play over an hour in most cases, just to get ranked (and therefore play decent talent). Ridiculous.

Also, I've had waaaaaaaaay too many instances where I was ahead, the other guy quit, and I GET THE LOSS. This did not happen on the Xbox last year. Stupid.

Not having an auto save is incredibly dumb as well. I played through about half a season of the superstar mode, only to have the power cut and then LOSE ALL MY PROGRESS. ARGH!?!?!?!? I can understand losing a few things, but it is completely insane to not have any autosave here.

So you can paint me in the "dissapointed" corner. I actually thought Madden 06 for the Xbox was a high water mark all the way around, but I think they changed too many things in a negative light this time.

Mario 3 on 3 basketball for the DS sounds like it'll be my sports title of choice..... (they should make Mario Football!)

-Rob

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » September 16th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Hey, Critic, I noticed in your review for the PS2 version that you say there is no way to get rid of the blaring music between plays.  I have the Gamecube version, and you can adjust the Main Menu Audio in the audio settings to get rid of the horrible, horrible tunes.  Can you do this on the PS2 version?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 17th, 2006, 9:41 pm

[QUOTE=snakeboy]

Hey, Critic, I noticed in your review for the PS2 version that you say there is no way to get rid of the blaring music between plays.  I have the Gamecube version, and you can adjust the Main Menu Audio in the audio settings to get rid of the horrible, horrible tunes.  Can you do this on the PS2 version?

[/QUOTE]

Yes, we tried it in both versions (PS2 and GC). Sure, you can turn them off in the main menu, but once you start playing  - they're back!  Try it and see for yourself.  It really sucks.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » September 17th, 2006, 10:04 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=snakeboy]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, we tried it in both versions (PS2 and GC). Sure, you can turn them off in the main menu, but once you start playing  - they're back!  Try it and see for yourself.  It really sucks.
[/QUOTE]

I have tried it and it did work.  During the game I went into Audio Settings and selected Main Menu Audio and turned the settings all the way down and - voila!- no more terrible music! 

Return to “Review Feedback”