2015/8/15: Xbox One: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2015/8/15: Xbox One: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Let me know your thoughts on this Xbox One golf game review.

TimPossible

Re: 2015/8/15: Xbox One: Rory McIlroy PGA Tour

Postby TimPossible » August 16th, 2015, 7:59 am

No doubt this game is gutted beyond belief. There are only 8-9 PGA courses. There were that many in PGA Tour 3 for the Sega Genesis 20 years ago! No game face either just 10 hideous pre determined faces to pick from. What a mess!

Looking forward to your review of "The Golf Club" by HB Studios. Hope it is coming soon.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 16th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Man... I've never been a huge fan of sports titles (especially the newer ones) but it seems like the few that we get nowadays are all pretty bad. The sad part is that they continue to sell since it seems like the few ones still available have a monopoly on the market. What happened to the variety..?

jon

Postby jon » August 19th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Yea it's a far cry from Jack Nicklaus Golf and PGA 95 when you could be on the course soon after loading the game up. The thought of having to go through training modes just to play is a joke. And you'd think that from the 90's to today, that if anything there'd be more publishers making sports games. But it's been the opposite. Makes no sense. It's especially disappointing considering how awesome the PGA Tour is in real life, with Jordan Spieth and other young golfers rising into the spotlight. Oh well, it should be called Jordan Spieth next year, that'll be nice.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 19th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Sounds bad where content is concerned, but I've read that this isn't going to be annualized anymore. This base will be instead be taken forward and expanded, much of it with free DLC like new courses and golfers.

So while it has issues, it does seem like there's promise here. They've already released one free course with the release of Scottsdale a few days ago, and East Lake Golf Club is coming next month.

And they also delayed it when they decided the online component wasn't ready, another refreshing move from EA along with the news that they're not just annualizing this and waiting for 2016 to release something with a proper range of content that their customers expect.

Sucks for the offline gamer though, but for most, this approach shouldn't be too bad. Getting away from annual roster updates is something that they should've tried years ago. And as they evolve this, hopefully they address some of the other issues raised in the review.

Tron

Postby Tron » August 21st, 2015, 9:39 pm

Atariboy wrote:Sounds bad where content is concerned, but I've read that this isn't going to be annualized anymore. This base will be instead be taken forward and expanded, much of it with free DLC like new courses and golfers.

So while it has issues, it does seem like there's promise here. They've already released one free course with the release of Scottsdale a few days ago, and East Lake Golf Club is coming next month.

And they also delayed it when they decided the online component wasn't ready, another refreshing move from EA along with the news that they're not just annualizing this and waiting for 2016 to release something with a proper range of content that their customers expect.

Sucks for the offline gamer though, but for most, this approach shouldn't be too bad. Getting away from annual roster updates is something that they should've tried years ago. And as they evolve this, hopefully they address some of the other issues raised in the review.

Good point about how it sucks for the offline gamer. I'm an offline gamer & I'd prefer a full $60 game to feel like a full $60 game when I buy it. Instead I have to wait for EA to distribute bits & pieces to me so that I won't resell it. It's a sham. I think the negatives to this approach far outweigh the positives. With this approach it forces gamers to keep connecting to the Internet & waiting for downloads, patches, user agreements, promotional offers, advertisements & etc.

Another thing that should be mentioned is the lackluster career mode, but stay tuned EA will offer a free upgrade soon. What a crock.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 22nd, 2015, 4:24 pm

I agree completely that it's a sham. It's yet another way of selling the gamer an unfinished product. It's just as bad as sending out something full of shoddy workmanship that's full of technical issues, like some other big publishers have attempted in recent years like Ubisoft.

But for the online gamer that won't ever revisit this once it's out of date, if they're willing to be patient, it looks like this one is set to continue growing for a while. So for such folks, the situation isn't quite as bad as it first appears.

I'll be sticking with Links 2004 on the Xbox, although I do like some of what they're saying. Annualized roster updates for EA sports titles are just stupid money suckers, and if they really delayed it as they said due to server issues, it's another small positive sign.

Neither excuses them though.

Tron

Postby Tron » August 24th, 2015, 7:28 am

With all that stated it does sound like a shrewd move on EA's part. I think they spend more time on thinking of ways to make money off of games then they do actually making the games. Instead of making a new game each year they'll just continue offering DLC on this one. They'll offer free DLC to keep people from selling the game & keep them online. Then with the free DLC they'll offer plenty of purchasable DLC along with it."Hey I'm already online getting this free course I might as well pay the measly $2.99 to get that other course as well." People have short memories. They'll praise EA for all this wonderful free DLC & forget how skimpy the initial package was. Then you'll start reading about people saying, "EA knows how to do DLC right." Without a new version available people won't trade this game in for a new version, instead they'll keep putting money into this one. If people want to buy this used next year it'll retain its value longer since there is no updated version to choose from. Then when they do buy it used they'll find out that the free DLC was for a limited time only. Now they'll be paying more for a half-baked used game & will still need to invest more in order to get a complete game.

Brilliant!

Tron

Postby Tron » December 1st, 2015, 10:56 pm

I'm thinking of getting this game on PS4. What I'd like to know is if obtaining the free DLC is easy to do or not? Do I have to create an EA account? Do I have to agree to user agreements, give email accounts or subscribe to some sort of service?

Thanks in advance.

With that I'll share that it looks like the strategy has not worked out like EA or myself had planned. I expected this game to retain value since the only competition is The Golf Club & more importantly the promise of free DLC to keep consumers holding on to their copies. The game is selling for $30 on EBay now, which seems pretty cheap to me. The game has only been out 4 months & it appears that plenty of people have already given up on it. Considering that EA stated that they were not going to do yearly updates & that they were going to continue supporting this game for awhile the fact that it's already selling for half of the retail price after 4 months suggests epic failure. At this point I'm thinking EA will indeed make a new golf game sooner than later.

Return to “Review Feedback”