2015/9/17: Xbox One: Rare Replay

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ActRaiser

Re: 2015/9/17: Xbox One: Rare Replay

Postby ActRaiser » September 18th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:I bought this for my son and was watching him play it on XBox One (haven't yet gotten around to playing it). Seems like a great value, but one thing that I did not like was the games only took up about 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the screen. Can this be changed to a full screen? If not, why is it like this? And please explain slowly using sock puppets.

I assumed it was in order to keep the 4/3 ratio versus stretching it out. If you're using a small screen I could see that being annoying.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 18th, 2015, 2:51 pm

Not a good review to be honest. I am disappointed in this one. I know you marked it down with you obsession with offline gaming. Fair enough. Not describe and rating each game is a travesty. Really I wanted to know if you like the zx games I played 30 years ago but nothing.

Review rating D... could do better.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » September 18th, 2015, 4:07 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
Gleebergloben123 wrote:I bought this for my son and was watching him play it on XBox One (haven't yet gotten around to playing it). Seems like a great value, but one thing that I did not like was the games only took up about 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the screen. Can this be changed to a full screen? If not, why is it like this? And please explain slowly using sock puppets.

I assumed it was in order to keep the 4/3 ratio versus stretching it out. If you're using a small screen I could see that being annoying.

Certain later games do give the option for widescreen - I know Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Grabbed by the Ghoulies and the Banjo games do. As Actraiser said, the borders are present to keep the proper aspect ratio in the earlier games. You do have the option to turn the border artwork on and off, however.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » September 18th, 2015, 4:18 pm

I ain't keep up with modern gaming much and I wasnt aware this game even existed. After reading the review I quickly bought one. Thanks critic!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 18th, 2015, 4:20 pm

BlasteroidAli,
Can you really expect me to detail 30+ games in a paragraph-long review? Heck, just listing all the titles was pushing it. I did try to provide at least a high level description about the nature of the Spectrum games. If I ever start a Spectrum section I'll be able to provide further detail.

I also want to take issue with your phrase "my obsession with offline gaming". Why should that even matter for a collection of 30 classic games, none of which are even designed to be played online?!? The fact that I have to discuss "online" issues is a clear indicator that this collection is highly flawed.
VGC

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 18th, 2015, 5:16 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Why should that even matter for a collection of 30 classic games, none of which are even designed to be played online?!? The fact that I have to discuss "online" issues is a clear indicator that this collection is highly flawed.
VGC

Perfect Dark Zero and Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts are online. :) But I definitely agree the 360 emulation is a bit wonky and takes you out of the compilation process.

Critic, being as awesome as you are you have in the past also graded games in a compilation. http://videogamecritic.com/pspal.htm?e=25333#rev2169

Hey, did anyone else think the Stamps were a cool feature and am guessing a reference to the original Stamper brothers?

Rev

Postby Rev » September 18th, 2015, 5:26 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:Not a good review to be honest. I am disappointed in this one. I know you marked it down with you obsession with offline gaming. Fair enough. Not describe and rating each game is a travesty. Really I wanted to know if you like the zx games I played 30 years ago but nothing.

He's reviewing the compilation not the individual games. He may like the individual games but if the compilation is wonky then that should be what his score is based off of.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 18th, 2015, 5:49 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:BlasteroidAli,
Can you really expect me to detail 30+ games in a paragraph-long review? Heck, just listing all the titles was pushing it. I did try to provide at least a high level description about the nature of the Spectrum games. If I ever start a Spectrum section I'll be able to provide further detail.

I also want to take issue with your phrase "my obsession with offline gaming". Why should that even matter for a collection of 30 classic games, none of which are even designed to be played online?!? The fact that I have to discuss "online" issues is a clear indicator that this collection is highly flawed.
VGC

Okay, the way I see it is that you have reviewed pretty much ever other game on the collection. Not the Speccy ones. Add an addedum and say. I stand by my earlier reviews. After all I went and looked at the cobra triangle review and thought the critic liked that one... and also you liked perfect dark and I went back to playing that one...

Oh the spectrum games keep score if you save them to your hard drive. Well they do with me but I am online all the time.

Apologies for the above wording. I just wanted a review of the 8 spectrum games. Esp Attic attack and Jet pac. Am I forgiven?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 18th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Rev wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:Not a good review to be honest. I am disappointed in this one. I know you marked it down with you obsession with offline gaming. Fair enough. Not describe and rating each game is a travesty. Really I wanted to know if you like the zx games I played 30 years ago but nothing.

He's reviewing the compilation not the individual games. He may like the individual games but if the compilation is wonky then that should be what his score is based off of.

That is a bit like getting a compilation of American rock and saying it is nicely packaged. The photos are great and you like the track listing but not saying whether the music is great.

After all why was Transam left off it? Or Alien 8? Or the Conker for the xbox? The first two games are from the ark and really think they were only 48k each.

I did not buy it for the xbox stuff nor the pretty terrible Conker game. I bought it for Blast corps, the speccy games and jet force gemini ... he had not mentioned that the control stick on the n64 not translating very well to the xbone... Jet force is hideos...

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 18th, 2015, 6:27 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:I did not buy it for the xbox stuff nor the pretty terrible Conker game. I bought it for Blast corps, the speccy games and jet force gemini ... he had not mentioned that the control stick on the n64 not translating very well to the xbone... Jet force is hideos...

By the time I picked up the collection / got it for my birthday Jet Force Gemini was patched for normal console play. Give it another go. I found no issues with it. Sure, you can argue it's not on the disk, but if you play it again you should have the patch for it.

As far as I can tell this collection is Aces all the way with as much content as provided. Heck, the inclusion of 360 games is pretty sweet when you consider originally, 360 games weren't going to be supported and the full compatibility list is still coming in a November update.

Return to “Review Feedback”