Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ptdebate

Re: Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

Postby ptdebate » March 2nd, 2016, 12:46 pm

I had asked before but never got an answer--why does the review refer to Snake as the protagonist? Was it to prevent spoilers or simply a joke? Also, did the switch to Raiden affect the review at all? I'm curious because this is one of the older reviews on the site and really seems to capture your opinion at the time.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 27th, 2018, 11:38 pm

I stumbled across this review again today while I was browsing. Still dying to know the answer to this question.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 30th, 2018, 1:52 pm

ptdebate wrote:I stumbled across this review again today while I was browsing. Still dying to know the answer to this question.

I think he didn't reach that point in the game. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, as I assume he played long enough to feel that he got the gist of the game.. but still, the review should be corrected, since Snake is less than 20% of the game. To me, the MGS games are tough to appreciate on gameplay alone.. you have to experience the full story.. but I know not everyone has the time or patience for it.

Either way, count me among the people that wish MGS2 featured a lot less Raiden and a lot more Snake.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 30th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
ptdebate wrote:I stumbled across this review again today while I was browsing. Still dying to know the answer to this question.

I think he didn't reach that point in the game. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, as I assume he played long enough to feel that he got the gist of the game.. but still, the review should be corrected, since Snake is less than 20% of the game. To me, the MGS games are tough to appreciate on gameplay alone.. you have to experience the full story.. but I know not everyone has the time or patience for it.

Either way, count me among the people that wish MGS2 featured a lot less Raiden and a lot more Snake.

There's no way that could be possible...

The tanker incident is like 30-45 minutes, which would be less than 5% of the game...

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 30th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Oh, I remembered it being at least 2 hours or so. Then again, I'm incredibly slow at every game.. and it's tough to recall since it's been at least 10 years now.

Another thought.. if I recall correctly, you don't immediately realize that Raiden is the main character.. Like they don't make that clear right away. So for awhile you're just playing and thinking, "ok, great, we get it Raiden..when can we switch back to Snake?" Again, my memory could be wrong, but I thought it was awhile before you realize the switch is never happening. So maybe the VGC played a few hours in, and thought the Raiden section was just a minor portion, and wrote the review assuming it would switch back to Snake. I don't know.. just throwing out guesses at this point.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 30th, 2018, 7:19 pm

You have a point, but there was no mention of Raiden at all in the review, and he's certainly hard to ignore, even if you play him for only an hour. You'd have to say something about it.

I actually don't mind the review the way it is written, because in a kind of fun way it preserves the secrecy of the game's biggest spoiler. I was just hoping that it was intentional.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 30th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Personaly I'd have been annoyed by the spoiler, and still annoyed Raiden was the main guy.

You can't win for losing with that game. :D

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 31st, 2018, 10:11 am

It's a funny point.. MGS2 is the only game I can think of where the game's biggest spoiler comes 30 minutes into the game... Really, I can't think of another game that had that high-profile of a spoiler anywhere near the beginning of the game. Maybe the death at the end of disc 1 in FF7 being the next closest that I can think of, but that's hours and hours into the game.

But yeah, this discussion brings back memories of how great Kojima was at hiding this secret.. with all the preview stories and screenshots acting as if Snake was the main character. I wonder if that gamble was really worth it, since it got a lot of backlash when MGS fans felt duped. But I remember reading reviews for the game back then and every one of them said there was a huge plot point early on and tried to avoid spoiling it. But it didn't take long before everyone heard the news. I think by the time VGC did his review, it wasn't really a secret anymore. Still, I like you're theory of maybe he creatively hid that spoiler from readers, which would be cool. It'd be good to hear his take.. but with it being a 15 year old review now, who knows if he'd remember.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 4th, 2021, 12:05 am

I thought about this again when I was browsing the MGS reviews. I wonder what the true story was!

Return to “Review Feedback”