Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ptdebate

Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

Postby ptdebate » October 14th, 2015, 1:24 pm

I noticed something funny about the review. No mention of the elaborate misdirection that left some MGS fans pissed off (but amused others such as myself). Was this intentional in order to keep it under wraps for those who hadn't played it yet? If so, well-played Critic!

I've been revisiting the title and am again struck by how unlikely it would be for Kojima (or anyone) to pull this kind of bait and switch these days with how easily information gets leaked. I guess that's what it's all about anyway, huh? Information and its perception; the ways we attempt to control it but often fail.

Rookie1

Re: Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

Postby Rookie1 » October 17th, 2015, 11:04 pm

That entire game was just crazy. I remember me and my friends were like WTF? through most of it. I recently replayed it on the PS3 HD update and it was a lot better now than it was back then. I enjoyed it a lot more.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 18th, 2015, 11:48 am

Rookie1 wrote:That entire game was just crazy. I remember me and my friends were like WTF? through most of it. I recently replayed it on the PS3 HD update and it was a lot better now than it was back then. I enjoyed it a lot more.

Isn't it bat s$&@? I miss the time when AAA games could be weird and experimental. There's a video on this game by SuperBunnyHop that I highly recommend. He basically does a critical reading of the game's constant subversion of player expectations as a commentary on the nature of truth.

https://youtu.be/T-2YuPGYabw

In light of the more conservative subject matter of MGS5, MGS2 stands out as an iconic entry in the series.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » October 18th, 2015, 11:13 pm

I got the Legacy Collection recently to play through every important game in the series so I'll have the necessary context to understand 5. Coincidentally, I'm on this one right now, though I accidentally got the bait-and-switch spoiled for me before I got to it in the game.

Also, does anyone else feel that MGS1 hasn't aged that well? There were quite a few frustrating moments in that one for me which made me have to force myself to push on so I wouldn't get confused while playing the others. This is my first time actually making a serious effort to finish any of them, though, so maybe I just played it too late to appreciate it fully.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 19th, 2015, 1:53 am

MGS1 is definitely the most basic of the mgs games but it's also my favorite. with MGS3 being a close second. I actually like the PS1 version better than the remake Twin Snakes (I usually play the game every year or so). If it wasn't for the graphics I'd think it has aged fairly well, especially compared to a lot of other 3D PS1 games. What frustrating parts are you referring to?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 19th, 2015, 6:06 am

MGS1 and RE1 were my gateway drugs in to modern gaming.

I picked up that Twin Snakes version a while back, but I have played it yet. I just learned about the legacy collection the other day, and will need to pick that up for sure.

Are the games in the legacy collection HD remasters as well?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 19th, 2015, 6:11 am

Meh...after looking at that Legacy Collection, looks like MGS1 & the VR missions are digital downloads. I will just pick up the originals if thats the case.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 19th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Yeah, I "love" collections that are digital downloads... However, I actually own this one as well since it included Peace Walker. It isn't too bad of a collection because most of the titles are actually on the disc. It is a shame the pS1 games aren't though.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 19th, 2015, 3:15 pm

Yeah thats kind of a shame. The HD collection has peace walker as well, so I am probably better off just picking up the original MGS

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » October 19th, 2015, 7:48 pm

Rev wrote:What frustrating parts are you referring to?

There were several parts that seemed overly obtuse to figure out or unsuited to the game's controls. One part in particular that frustrated me to no end was when I had to walk up a very long series of stairs while continuously getting swarmed by enemies on both sides. I found the shooting controls to be very imprecise in MGS1 (no first person view for half the guns and you can only use the D-pad), which spelled bad news for me in situations that require using them, as in this particular part. I had to use up almost all my rations. Metal Gear Rex was also nigh impossible for me even after consulting multiple walkthroughs. For whatever reason, I couldn't stay consistently unscathed using any of the strategies they suggested.

Overall, I don't think MGS1 is a bad game and I understand the sheer amount of significance it has in regards to both the series and gaming as a whole. It's just that I prefer the gameplay of the second game so far, even if I can't say the same for the story.

Return to “Review Feedback”