2016/3/24: NES: Gradius, Life Force

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2016/3/24: NES: Gradius, Life Force

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 24th, 2016, 7:39 pm

The original reviews for these games were written in 2000, and they were WAY too short.
I think these new versions do them justice, although the grades are reduced slightly.
Comments?

crimefighter

Re: 2016/3/24: NES: Gradius, Life Force

Postby crimefighter » March 24th, 2016, 8:53 pm

Sheesh...must not like pushing the buttons more than once...the Konami codes were used heavily on these two games.

Cataclysm

Re: 2016/3/24: NES: Gradius, Life Force

Postby Cataclysm » March 31st, 2016, 2:27 pm

I'd say the Gradius review is fair. Gradius is a fantastic game but its age has inconsistencies in its flow. The game is very punishing of mistakes.

Life Force still deserves its A status. It is co-op, which was uncommon for NES games, and it still holds up very well today. Maybe you are just getting old, but Life Force is a very SLOW shooter which makes it very EASY. Add in the Konami code and continues, this game is easy to beat. You can also save your options when you die which is cool.

The flow of the game is so much better in Life Force. When you die, another ship flies in immediately. In Gradius (and Gradius III), when you die, you go to black screen and start at beginning of stage or middle of stage. Life Force also has the imagination of having the levels be a gigantic alien body. I'd say Life Force is THE MOST FUN space ship shooter on the NES. You have Zanac as an 'A' and that shooter is extremely frustrating to say the least and quite uneven.

Return to “Review Feedback”