2016/4/26: Playstation 4: Call of Duty: Black Ops III, MLB The Show 16

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Herschie

Re: 2016/4/26: Playstation 4: Call of Duty: Black Ops III, MLB The Show 16

Postby Herschie » May 1st, 2016, 10:03 pm

scotland wrote:
There is nothing to stop a company making an American football game, even if they don't have the NFL and NFLPA licenses.

Such an unlicensed American football game could be creative too. Can you change the rules of football like play with a rugby ball? Or allow tripping? Or play 7 on 7? Or use high school football teams? Or have to count 5 mississippi before rushing the qb?

Even today with its the hyper focus on realism and photorealistic graphics, people could play a football game with thkngs like the USFL teams. Or a basketball game playing as the Harlem Globetrotters versus the Washington Generals. Or a baseball game with players from the Negro league versus the ladies from A league of their own, or whatever.

So don't put all the blame on EA buying up licenses when the fans are more interested in the players than the game.

Who would buy any of these games? Sorry, I don't agree with any of this. When I played baseball as a kid, I'd pretend I was Andre Dawson or Mark Grace. I don't think growing up I ever saw one Satchel Paige jersey. Nor did I ever see a single Rockford Peach jersey. Being from Chicago, it was mostly Cubs or White Sox, whether we were playing outside, or playing NES. No matter what the sport, most people imagine themselves in the NFL or what not.

I had a similar discussion with a Gamestop employee who told me that he doesn't play sports games because he can play sports in real life. I said, yeah, but can you go to Soldier Field and play for the Bears? Can you put on a Knicks jersey and propel New York back the NBA Finals? Very few can. Sports games are fantasy, just like any other game out there. They enable you to do what you can't in real life.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 2nd, 2016, 7:44 am

Herschie wrote: Who would buy any of these games? Sorry, I don't agree with any of this.. can you go to Soldier Field and play for the Bears?

Actually, we are not in disagreement. I totally get the appeal of playing with the real players. Its the same reason video games take licenses from comics or movies too, because connecting to that world is fun. I love Star Wars Arcade, and enjoy pretending to be Spiderman or some other superhero in games. You want to play on Soldier Field for the Bears - okay, got it. I get it. The best selling sports video game of 2016 was Madden - so you have a lot of company in your opinion that the licenses are vital.

However, look at the Forza franchise. There its all about the cars, not the drivers, right? Look at all the sports games, from olympics to tennis to boxing to bowling and so on, and see how few really care about the rosters of the day. Tecmo Bowl was missing the NFL license, right? I used to love Hardball on my Commodore 64 as an awesome baseball game - no licenses. Same thing for playing Leaderboard as solid golf fun. I get that golf fans want to play famous courses or against famous players, but some people want everything from Hot Shot Golf to Leaderboard, no licenses required.

Herschie wrote:They enable you to do what you can't in real life.

We agree again. I want to blow up the Death Star, you want to play on Soldier Field with the Bears. Those things require licenses, and just how critical licenses are is what we are discussing.

I remember in the arcades loving Star Wars Arcade, shooting Tie Fighters in my X-wing, but I also liked playing the similar game TailGunner, shooting various shaped enemy ships from my unseen ship in 1st person view as well. I liked playing Star Trek:SOS on my home consoles, but I also liked Star Master, the generic (and in some ways "better") version. Isn't there a place for both the licensed version of a sports game, and a generic (and maybe 'better' in some ways) version?

jon

Postby jon » May 2nd, 2016, 10:05 am

I never thought it was a deal breaker not having real players. In fact, I would be interested in learning about all the fake players and fake teams in sports games of yesteryear. I loved being Tyrone in Arch Rivals, and playing with all those crazy teams in Baseball Stars. I find them intriguing like people find fighting game characters intriguing.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 18th, 2016, 12:04 am

Ok, memory time; a long time ago, Critic posted an article called "Video Game Rants" (I wish he'd post it again, it was hilarious), and one of those rants were how saving your game ought to be easy, and not a ten-step process.

Well, The Show has an seven-step process:

1) Go to the "options" tab.

2) Go to "save utility".

3) Select "save" and press x.

4) Select "franchise" and press x.

5) Enter save name.

6) Select file to overwrite.

7) Select "Yes" and press x.

I never realized how annoying this was until today. Yes, it has auto-save, but that doesn't work if you make a roster change or something.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 18th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Funny you should mention my old rants page, because I'm re-doing it now!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 3rd, 2016, 1:56 pm

I think The Show deserves the bug icon once again this year. Many users have encountered several, and I've seen a few myself. From Operation Sports:

Bug #2 - So I try to bunt and he misses THREE times, count is 0-3
WELL - if I try to bunt again and it's a ball the game locks up as the pitcher is frozen and the game locks.

So I take 2 pitches and both are strikes - for some reason I have the pitcher swing away and he hits into a DP (My bad).

That's a pretty blatant bug. I've seen things like uniforms being flat out wrong, and clouds not moving in the sky, to the ivy at Wrigley not working properly. I think I've been kicked back to the PS4 main menu a couple times as well. Oh, and online I hear is a mess once again.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » June 10th, 2016, 11:53 am

You really should check out Rocket League

Tron

Postby Tron » June 10th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Call me different, but I prefer fictional teams and players. For one it's the expectations I have. When I'm playing a dynasty and see a real player either playing way too well or way to poorly compared to their real life stats it irritates me. With fake guys I have no expectations.

Playing NBA 2k16 I'm more interested in the players that come out of the drafts. I like modifying them and imagining what personalities they may have. Who cares about Lebron James or Stephon Curry? I got Mo Mack & Rasmus Peacock!

jon

Postby jon » June 10th, 2016, 8:09 pm

Call me different, but I prefer fictional teams and players. For one it's the expectations I have. When I'm playing a dynasty and see a real player either playing way too well or way to poorly compared to their real life stats it irritates me. With fake guys I have no expectations.

Playing NBA 2k16 I'm more interested in the players that come out of the drafts. I like modifying them and imagining what personalities they may have. Who cares about Lebron James or Stephon Curry? I got Mo Mack & Rasmus Peacock!]

I'll go a step further and say that that's what renders sports games obsolete. I used to play Front Page Sports Football Pro on the computer, and I'd start the dynasty with fictional players and teams instead of real ones. I'd name the teams myself and design the jerseys, in 1994. And the drafts would come with fictional players and you'd start traditions and it just really was my imagination. When I'd play realistic console football games, I'd look forward to 10-15 years down the road when all of the real players were retired. I especially liked doing that with NFL 2k5 and College Hoops 2k8. Sega was great at doing fictional players, there were once in a generation talents in drafts, it was done amazingly well.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 14th, 2016, 11:52 pm

Critic, you really ought to change your grade on The Show 16; it deserves an F-! Now I'm getting this problem where the Plate Coverage Indicator is choppy, and the swing lags. Kind of a problem with baseball. Also, this happens when I pitch too. This game is absolute garbage this year.

Don't believe me? Play MVP 2005 and then go back to The Show 16, and tell me this game isn't downright awful. I can't even take it back to Gamestop, I downloaded it from the Playstation Store. Well, I'll never do that again!

Return to “Review Feedback”